cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus CV1 compatibility with Nvidia GTX 980 M

etienne1968
Honored Guest
please help anybody ?
I purchased the cutting edge MSI laptop GT80 TITAN dual Nvidia GTX 980M SLI in august 2015, thinking it was Oculus CV1 compatible. :evil:
I was about to preorder the CV1 but I need to know officially if my rig is ok or no ??
Apparently it doesn't seem to be.... I'm so pissed off considering the cost of my laptop : 4700$. The retailer assured me it was compatible (minimum specs being Nvidia GTX 970). :oops:
Thank you for any help....
85 REPLIES 85

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Keep in mind the laptops not working with it is not only a performance issue, but also a compatibility issue.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift

*HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture
The last bullet point is tricky: many discrete GPU laptops have their external video output connected to the integrated GPU and drive the external output via hardware and software mechanisms that can’t support the Rift. Since this isn’t something that can be determined by reading the specs of a laptop, we are working on how to identify the right systems. Note that almost no current laptops have the GPU performance for the recommended spec, though upcoming mobile GPUs may be able to support this level of performance.

steveoz32
Expert Protege
"Dreamwriter" wrote:
Keep in mind the laptops not working with it is not only a performance issue, but also a compatibility issue.

*HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture
The last bullet point is tricky: many discrete GPU laptops have their external video output connected to the integrated GPU and drive the external output via hardware and software mechanisms that can’t support the Rift. Since this isn’t something that can be determined by reading the specs of a laptop, we are working on how to identify the right systems. Note that almost no current laptops have the GPU performance for the recommended spec, though upcoming mobile GPUs may be able to support this level of performance.

Fair comment, of course if Oculus had someone actually specifying that two days ago that would of been a good help lol.

Never used any of my laptops that had dedicated GPU on external screens, so can't comment.

Thyrymn
Honored Guest
How about the MSI GT80? I've never turned on the discrete graphics.

Bendak
Explorer
980M SLI is technically fast enough, but the problem is SLI support. Lots of games are finicky with it, or don't support it properly, meaning you have to only use one of the 980m cards. I don't even know if the way SLI renders could present any problems for VR otherwise? I know microstutter can be an issue with SLI (or at least it used to be, which is why I stopped using it). A single 980m is not fast enough.

Assuming the games support SLI, and your HDMI output is compatible, it probably works (since they don't artificially restrict you from using it based on hardware). You could try contacting MSI and asking for specs on the HDMI port to make sure it supports "297MHz clock via a direct output architecture" (whatever that means).

Also make sure the compatibility tool says your USB ports are compatible. Some USB controllers don't work well apparently, and in a laptop you don't have an option to change those.

edgewise
Honored Guest
My Eurocom X8 is not compatible apparently, shame it is working quite well with the DK2.

But my desktop is compatible so no trouble (plus the fact that ordering the oculus is not possible for SE asia apparently) .

Hammenforce
Honored Guest
"Dreamwriter" wrote:

If you have 2 cards in sli you probably dont have optimus and it should be fine. Nvidia is working on vr sli support so i am confident you will be fine. I have 970m sli and think it will be fine when correct drivers are availible.

thatinkjar
Explorer
"etienne1968" wrote:
please help anybody ?
I purchased the cutting edge MSI laptop GT80 TITAN dual Nvidia GTX 980M SLI in august 2015, thinking it was Oculus CV1 compatible. :evil:
I was about to preorder the CV1 but I need to know officially if my rig is ok or no ??
Apparently it doesn't seem to be.... I'm so pissed off considering the cost of my laptop : 4700$. The retailer assured me it was compatible (minimum specs being Nvidia GTX 970). :oops:
Thank you for any help....

Just to let you know, DK2 works great with the GT80. I don't know if CV1 will work, but I hope so 🙂

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer
Rather than get a new PC laptop or desktop you can just prob invest in the flagship Pascal mobile GPU from ebay.

Just sell the 980m on ebay and spend $1k on card than spend $2k on a new laptop or desktop.
facebook.com/AntDX316

hamishtodd1
Honored Guest
According to GPU boss, I notice that the 980M is closely comparable in power to an R9 290. But is that only along axes that don't matter for VR? Or is it even a case of the tool noticing that it is an M, saying "probably a laptop so probably optimus so nope"?

(also the compatability tool isn't an indication of "games will not even run" is it? It's just a recommended level to get the genuine VR experience)

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's not only about power but mostly about compatibility issues caused by mobile GPU design. For example, if the machine uses Optimus, then there is a good chance the headset will fail to work at all.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV