cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualware For Your Virtual Lives

Madaras
Expert Protege
Now we've seen this in many games and consoles to date where you can make an avatar and buy clothing for them this is similar to the direction I'm thinking. Do you imagine we would live in a world where you could go to a website (like macy's or JC penny's) and buy some virtual cloths for wearing as you travel through the virtual universe. Carefully crafted 3D models made competing and selling. Do you think this could become an actual business? As back to my D&D thread I know many LARPers enjoy dressing up as a big part same as in a normal RP session and I know from my perspective if I can spend $5-$30 for a digital outfit that I can wear in any digital virtual environment, like physical cloths in the physical world, would be awesome. On that topic what would you think of other virtual wares, such as virtual homes where you can own a $4,000 in real life and own a $50,000,000 home in the virtual world where you can host parties and meet with family/friends.
27 REPLIES 27

Vin
Explorer
I'm getting a really strong feeling of deja vu for some reason.

Walky
Explorer
"vin" wrote:

How long until this thread changes its focus to Wal-Mart fashion? :lol:

geekmaster
Protege
"Walky" wrote:
"vin" wrote:

Umm... By directing the thread focus with your post, you just did exactly that! The OP has only you to blame! :lol:

Although the OP did not mention a Wal-Mart exclusion in his first post, I suspect his thread-cloning action has the implication he only wants us to discuss Macy's and JCP fashions. If we discuss Wal-Mart fashion there is the very real danger that he will move his first post to yet another new thread.

We better not talk about Wal-Mart or Mall-Wart here. Maybe on VR games involving avatar clothing either. Maybe not games either. Maybe not even VR.

Perhaps we should only discuss how to market virtual clothing to major retail establishments. Here is a great online resource we can use to learn how to accomplish that goal:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Clothes

"Madaras" wrote:
... On that topic what would you think of other virtual wares, such as virtual homes where you can own a $4,000 in real life and own a $50,000,000 home in the virtual world where you can host parties and meet with family/friends.

Uhh... Yeah... Maybe this IS about selling virtual stuff for REAL money after all, eh? Perhaps those "Entropia" people already stole his idea:
"
Still...$330,000 on something that's really just a bunch of polygons sitting on a server, whose surv...

But I like the VR paper-dolls version of this idea as it fits the beginning of the first post, before it drifted from gaming into e-commerce. I love the VR party game for adults, based on "The People of Wal-Mart" as described in the original thread, before it was rebooted over here with a vague "game-ish"/"ecommerce-ish" first post with a rather generic thread title.

geekmaster
Protege
"vin" wrote:

Although the original thread was discussing a narrow subset of the original idea as it was described in the original first post, the discussion over there could easily have been expanded to include other portions of his idea, but instead, the OP has changed the content of his original post (now copied to this thread), to this new content:
"At
After cloning the old thread (minus all the replies) and then removing the original first post from ...

Madaras
Expert Protege
"geekmaster" wrote:
"Walky" wrote:
"vin" wrote:

Umm... By directing the thread focus with your post, you just did exactly that! The OP has only you to blame! :lol:

yes, and that I changed the less thread to what you guys wanted to spam change it with "The Wal-Mart Game" so if you wish to discuss that do so there, I would like to discuss the topic at hand.

Walky
Explorer
Sorry, didn't get the point of the cloned thread until geekmaster pointed it out, makes sense. I have no interest in the old thread, though 😉

Madaras
Expert Protege
"geekmaster" wrote:

Oh, wait... This thread IS about shopping games, or what? Now I am confused... 😮

This thread is not about a game, this thread is about physical wares and the idea that those could be virtual wares that could transcend the bounds of a particular game. The last thread was flooded by jokes about a wal-mart game with a humorous yet derogatory video about wal-mart shoppers. Since that thread had nothing to do with the proposed idea I had to re-title it and change the topic of the thread entirely, I'd appreciate it if this thread weren't derailed and would stay on the topic of having a VR world, not one particular game. Where a "game" such as "Walmart" you could say would just be a location. Where you could go to an arcade and play "Call of Duty" and then be transported to call of duty and be able to use military clothing you bought at some warehouse into the game, where clothing could be tagged and approved for certain genres and even possible to tag them for certain games, but while outside of a particular game you could travel from jersey to hong kong.

In the scenarios I mentioned you could go to a Cosplay shop and buy clothing to take with you to a larping world (you may call a game if you wish, but I would call it another world as part of the VR universe) this is part of the change in minds and "gaming" that I envision.

geekmaster
Protege
"Madaras" wrote:
"geekmaster" wrote:
"Walky" wrote:
yes, and that I changed the less thread to what you guys wanted to spam change it with "The Wal-Mart Game" so if you wish to discuss that do so there, I would like to discuss the topic at hand.

Okay, and your PM about this made it very clear that you only want to discuss the marketing aspects of your idea. Which confirms what I posted above in this thread:
"Madaras" wrote:
... On that topic what would you think of other virtual wares, such as virtual homes where you can own a $4,000 in real life and own a $50,000,000 home in the virtual world where you can host parties and meet with family/friends.
Uhh... Yeah... Maybe this IS about selling virtual stuff for REAL money after all, eh?

But then there was this post too:
"geekmaster" wrote:
Although not clear, instead of a clothes shopping game, perhaps the OP is thinking more along the lines of an online store that sells sells virtual clothing for real money. That may require implementing some sort of e-commerce system like Linden Dollars for his own in-game clothing store, unless he really was planning to legally partner with "Macy's, Inc." and "J. C. Penney Company, Inc." to pay royalties for selling virtual clothing at their retail or online stores. I think a VR shopping game and/or paper-doll game would be great for children and adults alike (depending on which store was featured in the game). ...
Just to be clear, this new thread title is still vague, and COULD include VR gaming. If it really is intended to be a marking technique, that restricted focus (or whatever narrow focus the OP has in mind) should be included in the thread title.
"Madaras" wrote:
Now we've seen this in many games and consoles to date where you can make an avatar and buy clothing for them this is similar to the direction I'm thinking. ...
Oh, wait... This thread IS about shopping games, or what? Now I am confused... 😮

You first post and thread title are still not specific, but your PM and your most recent post to this thread are very specific. This is supposed to be restricted to a discussion of e-commerce, specifically about selling virtual clothing (and or virtual real estate) for real money, right?

If so, how will your restriced topic be different from Entropia or Linden Dollars?

Walky
Explorer
So you're talking about some sort of "cloud" clothing (and more than just clothing) system that would be available not only in games but also in other things like VR social networks, avatar images, etc, regardless of the software provider (buy once, use everywhere)?