cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 Compatible Expansion Cards

teknix1
Protege
Hi,

Like many people, the wait between the pre-order and actually receiving the headset gives me time to get my PC ready. I have USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (ASUS P9X79) but they are not compatible (Asmedia). So I've been looking at getting a PCI Express card to get the required ports. As mentioned many times before in this forum, Inateck makes one that has been tested by Oculus (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW). The Oculus documentation about the USB requirements state that I will need three USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 port toi plug in everything. I thought I had read way back that I was going to need 5 ports total, did I dream this? Anyways, here's the break down of the requirements:
1x 3.0 USB port for the headset
1x 3.0 USB port for the 3D Positional Tracker
1x 3.0 USB port for Oculus Touch (available at a later date)
1x 2.0 USB port for Xbox wireless controller

So my thinking is why not get a card that will give me all the ports necessary for the Rift? Inateck also makes one with 4 USB 3.0 ports (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM), can I assume this will do the job? Oculus says that I need a card with a Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset, I believe it has such chipset but it's for all four ports (plus internal ones) rather than the two (plus internal ones again) with the Oculus tested card, now does that make it incompatible? Same throughput divided amongst more ports... Inateck also makes a few cards with 5 ports...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nic
89 REPLIES 89

doclight
Protege
I just ordered the inatek 4 port USB 3.0 from Amazon.. That's the one they recommend. Should be here later this week..hope it works.

hawkstone
Honored Guest
When I clicked on one of the links Cyber posted, it was a link to the 4-port version. I ordered the 4-port one as well. (The version with internal USB ports instead of headers, because that's what my front USB 3.0 ports need. That version doesn't appear to be listed anymore, though; should probably test out the one they shipped ASAP.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
May I ask in which thread Cyber has posted these links? I'm looking to add a few USB ports to my system but the Inateck expension card isn't available in my country, therefore I'm looking for some supported alternatives that are available over here.

edit: NVM, found it:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28559&p=319507&hilit=Inateck#p319507

No alternatives though 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
The actual amazon posting has changed a couple times since Cyber posted it. It was a "5-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter", which I ordered. It then changed to a 5-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, 2 internal USB 3.0 ports. Now it seems to have changed to a 4 port with just the 15-Pin Power Connector.

teknix1
Protege
That explains a few things. I thought I had seen a 4 port version at some point.

Inateck makes 5 different cards and one of them is for Mac pro:
KTU3FR-2O2I: 4 ports total, 2 external, 1 internal 20 pin connector good for 2 ports
KTU3FR-4P: 4 external ports, 15 pins SATA internal power connection
KTU3FR-5O2U: 7 ports total, 5 external, 2 internal usb connections, 15 pins SATA internal power connection
KTU3FR-5O2I: 7 ports total, 5 external, 1 internal 20 pin connector good for 2 ports, 15 pins sata internal power connection
KT7001 (for Mac pro): 7 external ports, 15 pins SATA internal power connection

I figure, since the price on these cards isn't all that much different between them, why not go big. So I feel like getting one of two that have 7 ports, but I'm worried about splitting a single chipset between all these ports. Am I worrying too much?

The first one I remember seeing was the KTU3FR-4P, and that would make sense, just enough ports for everything and powered through the SATA connection.

If Cyber could reply with the actual recommended product number, that would be great.

drash
Heroic Explorer
It's a nice idea, but I would be concerned about all the bandwidth being bottlenecked through a single USB3 controller. Definitely would be helpful to get more detail on how many of these connections can be put onto a single card/controller.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
"teknix1" wrote:
The first one I remember seeing was the KTU3FR-4P, and that would make sense, just enough ports for everything and powered through the SATA connection.

That's the one I have now ordered via Amazon as well ( including shipping it was still cheaper than just the card in several shops here in Europe...).

I assume it's supported since it has the FL1100 chipset that was mentioned earlier.

I have a buttload of USB ports on my system already, but then again I also have a buttload of peripherals that I don't feel like unplugging all the time, so this relatively cheap card is a godsend...

ejz6837
Explorer
I don't think it's for bandwidth, I think it's for power. And the Inateck comes with SATA power as well as PCI-E power. I wouldn't worry about bandwidth requirements. I installed an Inateck 4 port and the Oculus checker likes it, but still moans about my other USB 3 controller.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you're right, for some reason I had the brainfart idea that the video data would be sent through USB as well, which of course is ridiculous, that's what the HDMI1.3 port requirement is for. Though, the 3D positional camera and the sensors in the headset itself would probably benefit from the lower latency of USB3.0