New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtualware For Your Virtual Lives

MadarasMadaras Posts: 581
Nexus 6
edited July 2013 in General
Now we've seen this in many games and consoles to date where you can make an avatar and buy clothing for them this is similar to the direction I'm thinking. Do you imagine we would live in a world where you could go to a website (like macy's or JC penny's) and buy some virtual cloths for wearing as you travel through the virtual universe. Carefully crafted 3D models made competing and selling. Do you think this could become an actual business? As back to my D&D thread I know many LARPers enjoy dressing up as a big part same as in a normal RP session and I know from my perspective if I can spend $5-$30 for a digital outfit that I can wear in any digital virtual environment, like physical cloths in the physical world, would be awesome. On that topic what would you think of other virtual wares, such as virtual homes where you can own a $4,000 in real life and own a $50,000,000 home in the virtual world where you can host parties and meet with family/friends.

Comments

• VinVin Posts: 874
    Brain Burst
    I'm getting a really strong feeling of deja vu for some reason.
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    Vin wrote:

How long until this thread changes its focus to Wal-Mart fashion? :lol:
  • geekmastergeekmaster Posts: 2,866
    Nexus 6
    Walky wrote:
    Vin wrote:
    Umm... By directing the thread focus with your post, you just did exactly that! The OP has only you to blame! :lol:

Although the OP did not mention a Wal-Mart exclusion in his first post, I suspect his thread-cloning action has the implication he only wants us to discuss Macy's and JCP fashions. If we discuss Wal-Mart fashion there is the very real danger that he will move his first post to yet another new thread.

We better not talk about Wal-Mart or Mall-Wart here. Maybe on VR games involving avatar clothing either. Maybe not games either. Maybe not even VR.

Perhaps we should only discuss how to market virtual clothing to major retail establishments. Here is a great online resource we can use to learn how to accomplish that goal:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Clothes
    Madaras wrote:
    ... On that topic what would you think of other virtual wares, such as virtual homes where you can own a $4,000 in real life and own a $50,000,000 home in the virtual world where you can host parties and meet with family/friends.
    Uhh... Yeah... Maybe this IS about selling virtual stuff for REAL money after all, eh? Perhaps those "Entropia" people already stole his idea:
    The auction for the Crystal Palace Space Station in Planet Calypso has sold for 3,300,000 PED. This virtual game currency when converted to US dollars is $330,000. The winning bidder was Buzz “Erik” Lightyear. The space station provides an income stream of revenue from any purchases made there plus hunting on the space station.
    Still...$330,000 on something that's really just a bunch of polygons sitting on a server, whose survival is dependant on the whims of the company controlling those servers...I'll stick to spending that kind of money on real dwellings, thanks.
    But I like the VR paper-dolls version of this idea as it fits the beginning of the first post, before it drifted from gaming into e-commerce. I love the VR party game for adults, based on "The People of Wal-Mart" as described in the original thread, before it was rebooted over here with a vague "game-ish"/"ecommerce-ish" first post with a rather generic thread title.
    Nexus 6
    Vin wrote:
    Although the original thread was discussing a narrow subset of the original idea as it was described in the original first post, the discussion over there could easily have been expanded to include other portions of his idea, but instead, the OP has changed the content of his original post (now copied to this thread), to this new content:
    Since the original was terribly derailed this thread is now about "The Wal-Mart Game" where you can dress up like trailer park trash or better and go to Wal-Mart!
    As a valid subset of the idea as it was first proposed, that discussion was not "terribly derailed", but rather restricted to a narrower scope, which could have expanded to other topics also within the scope proposed by the OP. The remaining content in the old thread would still make a great and entertaining party game.

Although not clear, instead of a clothes shopping game, perhaps the OP is thinking more along the lines of an online store that sells sells virtual clothing for real money. That may require implementing some sort of e-commerce system like Linden Dollars for his own in-game clothing store, unless he really was planning to legally partner with "Macy's, Inc." and "J. C. Penney Company, Inc." to pay royalties for selling virtual clothing at their retail or online stores. I think a VR shopping game and/or paper-doll game would be great for children and adults alike (depending on which store was featured in the game).

After cloning the old thread (minus all the replies) and then removing the original first post from the other thread, I suspect a shopping game was not his idea, so perhaps he needs to market this idea to the stores he mentioned rather than this forum.

Just to be clear, this new thread title is still vague, and COULD include VR gaming. If it really is intended to be a marking technique, that restricted focus (or whatever narrow focus the OP has in mind) should be included in the thread title.
    Madaras wrote:
    Now we've seen this in many games and consoles to date where you can make an avatar and buy clothing for them this is similar to the direction I'm thinking. ...
    Oh, wait... This thread IS about shopping games, or what? Now I am confused... :o
  • MadarasMadaras Posts: 581
    Nexus 6
    geekmaster wrote:
    Walky wrote:
    Vin wrote:
    Umm... By directing the thread focus with your post, you just did exactly that! The OP has only you to blame! :lol:

yes, and that I changed the less thread to what you guys wanted to spam change it with "The Wal-Mart Game" so if you wish to discuss that do so there, I would like to discuss the topic at hand.
    Brain Burst
    Sorry, didn't get the point of the cloned thread until geekmaster pointed it out, makes sense. I have no interest in the old thread, though ;)
    Nexus 6
    geekmaster wrote:
    Oh, wait... This thread IS about shopping games, or what? Now I am confused... :o

This thread is not about a game, this thread is about physical wares and the idea that those could be virtual wares that could transcend the bounds of a particular game. The last thread was flooded by jokes about a wal-mart game with a humorous yet derogatory video about wal-mart shoppers. Since that thread had nothing to do with the proposed idea I had to re-title it and change the topic of the thread entirely, I'd appreciate it if this thread weren't derailed and would stay on the topic of having a VR world, not one particular game. Where a "game" such as "Walmart" you could say would just be a location. Where you could go to an arcade and play "Call of Duty" and then be transported to call of duty and be able to use military clothing you bought at some warehouse into the game, where clothing could be tagged and approved for certain genres and even possible to tag them for certain games, but while outside of a particular game you could travel from jersey to hong kong.

In the scenarios I mentioned you could go to a Cosplay shop and buy clothing to take with you to a larping world (you may call a game if you wish, but I would call it another world as part of the VR universe) this is part of the change in minds and "gaming" that I envision.
    Nexus 6
    Madaras wrote:
    geekmaster wrote:
    Walky wrote:
    yes, and that I changed the less thread to what you guys wanted to spam change it with "The Wal-Mart Game" so if you wish to discuss that do so there, I would like to discuss the topic at hand.
    Okay, and your PM about this made it very clear that you only want to discuss the marketing aspects of your idea. Which confirms what I posted above in this thread:
    Madaras wrote:
    ... On that topic what would you think of other virtual wares, such as virtual homes where you can own a $4,000 in real life and own a $50,000,000 home in the virtual world where you can host parties and meet with family/friends.
    Uhh... Yeah... Maybe this IS about selling virtual stuff for REAL money after all, eh?[/quote]

But then there was this post too:
    geekmaster wrote:
    Although not clear, instead of a clothes shopping game, perhaps the OP is thinking more along the lines of an online store that sells sells virtual clothing for real money. That may require implementing some sort of e-commerce system like Linden Dollars for his own in-game clothing store, unless he really was planning to legally partner with "Macy's, Inc." and "J. C. Penney Company, Inc." to pay royalties for selling virtual clothing at their retail or online stores. I think a VR shopping game and/or paper-doll game would be great for children and adults alike (depending on which store was featured in the game). ...
    Just to be clear, this new thread title is still vague, and COULD include VR gaming. If it really is intended to be a marking technique, that restricted focus (or whatever narrow focus the OP has in mind) should be included in the thread title.
    Madaras wrote:
    Now we've seen this in many games and consoles to date where you can make an avatar and buy clothing for them this is similar to the direction I'm thinking. ...
    You first post and thread title are still not specific, but your PM and your most recent post to this thread are very specific. This is supposed to be restricted to a discussion of e-commerce, specifically about selling virtual clothing (and or virtual real estate) for real money, right?

If so, how will your restriced topic be different from Entropia or Linden Dollars?
    Brain Burst
    So you're talking about some sort of "cloud" clothing (and more than just clothing) system that would be available not only in games but also in other things like VR social networks, avatar images, etc, regardless of the software provider (buy once, use everywhere)?
    Nexus 6
    Madaras wrote:
    In the scenarios I mentioned you could go to a Cosplay shop and buy clothing to take with you to a larping world (you may call a game if you wish, but I would call it another world as part of the VR universe) this is part of the change in minds and "gaming" that I envision.
    "Larping"? As in "Live-Action" Role Playing games (similar to Civil War reenactments)?
    1. LARP: Live Action Role Play
    a type of game where a group of people wear costumes representing a character they create to participate in an agreed fantasy world. Uses foam sticks as swords, foam balls as magic and other props to create the games world.
    So you mean that I had it all backwards, and your real goal is to sell real clothing in real stores, modelled after video game costumes, so that they can get together in real life in "Live-Action" (LARP) games?

Man, either the terminology is all over the place, or I really am missing your point here. A game, but not a game? Virtual clothing, but also real clothing for "larping" games? Clothing to be sold in e-commerce, or in Macy's and J.C.Penneys? And virtual real estate too? The topic as proposed is all over the place, but our discussion that clear fit inside the topical boundaries are not welcome as in the previous incarnation of this thread?

Oh well, your "change in minds" is just too complicated for my poor little mind. This must be one of those "social" things that remains beyond my graps...
    :(
    Nexus 6
    Walky wrote:
    So you're talking about some sort of "cloud" clothing (and more than just clothing) system that would be available not only in games but also in other things like VR social networks, avatar images, etc, regardless of the software provider (buy once, use everywhere)?
    Except the OP said "larping", which means wearing REAL clothing that looks like authentic in-game virtual clothing, while playing (reenacting) game scenarios in real life, using foam props as weapons, and such.

These forked threads are totally confusing me, especially with their artificially ill-defined "game-like but not-a-game" (and especially not a "Wal-Mart" shopping game) thread topic restrictions. And with shopping that seems virtual and real, and clothing and real estate, and serious with no humor allowed. And I still do not see how Macy's and J.C.Penney's are relevant, but Wal-Mart is not relevant. And not really sure if those were real or virtual stores, either. And larping suggests real gaming costume clothing and foam toy prop accessories, which have nothing to do with VR or the Rift, so REALLY confusing me...
    :o
    Nexus 6
    geekmaster wrote:
    Walky wrote:
    Except he said "larping", which means wearing REAL clothing that looks like authentic in-game virtual clothing, while playing (reenacting) game scenarios in real life, using foam props as weapons, and such.

These forked threads are totally confusing me, especially with their artificially ill-defined "game-like but not-a-game" (and especially not a "Wal-Mart" shopping game) thread topic restrictions. And with shopping that seems virtual and real, and clothing and real estate, and serious with no humor allowed. And I still do not see how Macy's and J.C.Penney's are relevant, but Wal-Mart is not relevant. REALLY confusing me...
    :o

Actually cloud clothing is more like what I'm referring to. As to LARPing people use foam swords is because real swords and bean bags are about as real as you can get to what the imagination wants. Partly due to injury and legal restrictions. I have nothing against humor so long as it doesn't completely detract from the topic. Back to cloud clothing, yes in the virtually interconnected world I envision it's not just plugging a cartridge into a console, but you have a planet that you are traveling on, much like in Physical reality, where you can shop, work, club, game, ect... anything you can imagine. The specific aspect of this topic was things you could purchase, as you would in the physical world, and can use anywhere, like you can in the physical world, not simply a game.
    Brain Burst
    I imagine buying some real clothes and getting a claim code for the VR version. It would be like game pre-order TF2 hat codes all over again :lol:
    Nexus 6
    Madaras wrote:
    Actually cloud clothing is more like what I'm referring to. As to LARPing people use foam swords is because real swords and bean bags are about as real as you can get to what the imagination wants. Partly due to injury and legal restrictions. I have nothing against humor so long as it doesn't completely detract from the topic. Back to cloud clothing, yes in the virtually interconnected world I envision it's not just plugging a cartridge into a console, but you have a planet that you are traveling on, much like in Physical reality, where you can shop, work, club, game, ect... anything you can imagine. The specific aspect of this topic was things you could purchase, as you would in the physical world, and can use anywhere, like you can in the physical world, not simply a game.
    So then, as I *THINK* I understand your most recent post, you mean BOTH real clothing and props for "larping" (Real-Life role playing) and ALSO virtual clothing for use in a VR version of the same game?

If so, it might be interesting when we have accurate positional tracking to have a group of people playing together with redirected walking and real props (and perhaps stage ninjas where needed), where they are dressed in full costume that matches their avatar costume, and they get full haptic feelback while they act out (larp) their in-game actions.

That would be awesome to mix VR gaming with larping, in that sort of staged environment. Is that where you are headed in your thoughts about this?

P.S. I think it was your "virtual real estate" idea mixed into the first post that really threw me off. Now that we are narrowing the focus in a (hopefully) well-defined manner, I am (hopefully) starting to understand where you want to go with this thread.
    Nexus 6
    Walky wrote:
    I imagine buying some real clothes and getting a claim code for the VR version. It would be like game pre-order TF2 hat codes all over again :lol:
    Just don't forget your TF2 clean underwear code! ;)
    Nexus 6
    geekmaster wrote:
    So then, as I *THINK* I understand your most recent post, you mean BOTH real clothing and props for "larping" (Real-Life role playing) and ALSO virtual clothing for use in a VR version of the same game?

If so, it might be interesting when we have accurate positional tracking to have a group of people playing together with redirected walking and real props (and perhaps stage ninjas where needed), where they are dressed in full costume that matches their avatar costume, and they get full haptic feelback while they act out (larp) their in-game actions.

That would be awesome to mix VR gaming with larping, in that sort of staged environment. Is that where you are headed in your thoughts about this?

P.S. I think it was your "virtual real estate" idea mixed into the first post that really threw me off. Now that we are narrowing the focus in a (hopefully) well-defined manner, I am (hopefully) starting to understand where you want to go with this thread.

Well you're getting much closer to hitting the nail. Let's say for this people need a minimum of the Oculus Rift and a keyboard, preferably an Oculus Rift and a Virtuix Omni, then if we get some good haptic vest, ect... even better. Now you sit at your desk or stand in your Omni and Put on your VR HMD device and you navigate to (let's call it)"The Universe" and you're in the many hub, which would be like an overview of the planet, and you choose your destination. From there you teleport to that location. In that location you could walk around freely or "fast-travel" to a destination. Let's call our first destination "Dungeons & Dragons Live" When you enter the building of dungeons and dragons live (remember you're still at home on your omni or at your desk) you see a variety of worlds displayed as either maps, globes, lists, ect... however and you select the world Ebberon. You are then transported to that world with the clothing you have set for the character you've created. Now let's say you had made a warrior and earlier that day you went to (once again at your desk or omni) a D&D clothing store and purchased an amazing looking sword and some spiffy medieval looking pants, well you're able to wear those in Ebberon as well. Now we're leaving Ebberon and travel to "The Table Top Game Shop" and you see DMs posting that they have a game coming up on a specified date and are looking for applicants. Well you apply and are accepted and the day has arrived and you enter that game and you put on the cloths you had bought at our earlier shop.

I hope this helps to better explain. BTB I'm not saying you're limited to wearing these cloths at these events that would just be what is socially appropriate or expected, you could wear the same outfits to an aquarium.
    Nexus 6
    Hmm....some virtual cake sounds good right about now :) Yummy dark chocolate fudge cake with a dark chocolate pudding layer.
    Nexus 6
    Madaras wrote:
    Hmm....some virtual cake sounds good right about now :) Yummy dark chocolate fudge cake with a dark chocolate pudding layer.
    I am tempted to report that to the mods as "off topic"! ;):lol:
    Nexus 6
    But this cake is special, I can bring it with me anywhere in the virtual world. I'll go to Skyrim and share it with one of my blood brothers, then because it's the special cake from the Matrix we'll likely end up in the barracks :twisted: :twisted:
    Nexus 6
    Madaras wrote:
    But this cake is special, I can bring it with me anywhere in the virtual world. I'll go to Skyrim and share it with one of my blood brothers, then because it's the special cake from the Matrix we'll likely end up in the barracks :twisted: :twisted:
    Got the virtual "munchies", eh? ;)
    Nexus 6
    geekmaster wrote:
    Madaras wrote:
    Got the virtual "munchies", eh? ;)

Indeed. Brings back my old Star Trek Holodeck fantasies :mrgreen:
    Nexus 6
    Madaras wrote:
    Indeed. Brings back my old Star Trek Holodeck fantasies :mrgreen:
  • KiritoKirito Posts: 181
    some people forget the rift is far from matrix like ( not yet)
    images3vfi.jpg
    Brain Burst
    Nexus 6
    Vin wrote:
    I hope you're staying on topic and talking about buying a virtual codpiece.
    Brain Burst
    Madaras wrote:
    Vin wrote:

Only if the virtual codpiece can be used in every game.
    Nexus 6
    Vin wrote:
    Madaras wrote:
    Vin wrote:

Only if the virtual codpiece can be used in every game.

Maybe not every game, but in every universe within the Rift yes.