cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtualware For Your Virtual Lives

Madaras
Expert Protege
Now we've seen this in many games and consoles to date where you can make an avatar and buy clothing for them this is similar to the direction I'm thinking. Do you imagine we would live in a world where you could go to a website (like macy's or JC penny's) and buy some virtual cloths for wearing as you travel through the virtual universe. Carefully crafted 3D models made competing and selling. Do you think this could become an actual business? As back to my D&D thread I know many LARPers enjoy dressing up as a big part same as in a normal RP session and I know from my perspective if I can spend $5-$30 for a digital outfit that I can wear in any digital virtual environment, like physical cloths in the physical world, would be awesome. On that topic what would you think of other virtual wares, such as virtual homes where you can own a $4,000 in real life and own a $50,000,000 home in the virtual world where you can host parties and meet with family/friends.
27 REPLIES 27

geekmaster
Protege
"Madaras" wrote:
In the scenarios I mentioned you could go to a Cosplay shop and buy clothing to take with you to a larping world (you may call a game if you wish, but I would call it another world as part of the VR universe) this is part of the change in minds and "gaming" that I envision.

"Larping"? As in "Live-Action" Role Playing games (similar to Civil War reenactments)?
"
Oh well, your "change in minds" is just too complicated for my poor little mind. This must be one of...

geekmaster
Protege
"Walky" wrote:
So you're talking about some sort of "cloud" clothing (and more than just clothing) system that would be available not only in games but also in other things like VR social networks, avatar images, etc, regardless of the software provider (buy once, use everywhere)?

Except the OP said "larping", which means wearing REAL clothing that looks like authentic in-game virtual clothing, while playing (reenacting) game scenarios in real life, using foam props as weapons, and such.

These forked threads are totally confusing me, especially with their artificially ill-defined "game-like but not-a-game" (and especially not a "Wal-Mart" shopping game) thread topic restrictions. And with shopping that seems virtual and real, and clothing and real estate, and serious with no humor allowed. And I still do not see how Macy's and J.C.Penney's are relevant, but Wal-Mart is not relevant. And not really sure if those were real or virtual stores, either. And larping suggests real gaming costume clothing and foam toy prop accessories, which have nothing to do with VR or the Rift, so REALLY confusing me...
😮

Madaras
Expert Protege
"geekmaster" wrote:
"Walky" wrote:
So you're talking about some sort of "cloud" clothing (and more than just clothing) system that would be available not only in games but also in other things like VR social networks, avatar images, etc, regardless of the software provider (buy once, use everywhere)?

Except he said "larping", which means wearing REAL clothing that looks like authentic in-game virtual clothing, while playing (reenacting) game scenarios in real life, using foam props as weapons, and such.

These forked threads are totally confusing me, especially with their artificially ill-defined "game-like but not-a-game" (and especially not a "Wal-Mart" shopping game) thread topic restrictions. And with shopping that seems virtual and real, and clothing and real estate, and serious with no humor allowed. And I still do not see how Macy's and J.C.Penney's are relevant, but Wal-Mart is not relevant. REALLY confusing me...
😮

Actually cloud clothing is more like what I'm referring to. As to LARPing people use foam swords is because real swords and bean bags are about as real as you can get to what the imagination wants. Partly due to injury and legal restrictions. I have nothing against humor so long as it doesn't completely detract from the topic. Back to cloud clothing, yes in the virtually interconnected world I envision it's not just plugging a cartridge into a console, but you have a planet that you are traveling on, much like in Physical reality, where you can shop, work, club, game, ect... anything you can imagine. The specific aspect of this topic was things you could purchase, as you would in the physical world, and can use anywhere, like you can in the physical world, not simply a game.

Walky
Explorer
I imagine buying some real clothes and getting a claim code for the VR version. It would be like game pre-order TF2 hat codes all over again :lol:

geekmaster
Protege
"Madaras" wrote:
Actually cloud clothing is more like what I'm referring to. As to LARPing people use foam swords is because real swords and bean bags are about as real as you can get to what the imagination wants. Partly due to injury and legal restrictions. I have nothing against humor so long as it doesn't completely detract from the topic. Back to cloud clothing, yes in the virtually interconnected world I envision it's not just plugging a cartridge into a console, but you have a planet that you are traveling on, much like in Physical reality, where you can shop, work, club, game, ect... anything you can imagine. The specific aspect of this topic was things you could purchase, as you would in the physical world, and can use anywhere, like you can in the physical world, not simply a game.

So then, as I *THINK* I understand your most recent post, you mean BOTH real clothing and props for "larping" (Real-Life role playing) and ALSO virtual clothing for use in a VR version of the same game?

If so, it might be interesting when we have accurate positional tracking to have a group of people playing together with redirected walking and real props (and perhaps stage ninjas where needed), where they are dressed in full costume that matches their avatar costume, and they get full haptic feelback while they act out (larp) their in-game actions.

That would be awesome to mix VR gaming with larping, in that sort of staged environment. Is that where you are headed in your thoughts about this?

P.S. I think it was your "virtual real estate" idea mixed into the first post that really threw me off. Now that we are narrowing the focus in a (hopefully) well-defined manner, I am (hopefully) starting to understand where you want to go with this thread.

geekmaster
Protege
"Walky" wrote:
I imagine buying some real clothes and getting a claim code for the VR version. It would be like game pre-order TF2 hat codes all over again :lol:

Just don't forget your TF2 clean underwear code! 😉

Madaras
Expert Protege
"geekmaster" wrote:

So then, as I *THINK* I understand your most recent post, you mean BOTH real clothing and props for "larping" (Real-Life role playing) and ALSO virtual clothing for use in a VR version of the same game?

If so, it might be interesting when we have accurate positional tracking to have a group of people playing together with redirected walking and real props (and perhaps stage ninjas where needed), where they are dressed in full costume that matches their avatar costume, and they get full haptic feelback while they act out (larp) their in-game actions.

That would be awesome to mix VR gaming with larping, in that sort of staged environment. Is that where you are headed in your thoughts about this?

P.S. I think it was your "virtual real estate" idea mixed into the first post that really threw me off. Now that we are narrowing the focus in a (hopefully) well-defined manner, I am (hopefully) starting to understand where you want to go with this thread.

Well you're getting much closer to hitting the nail. Let's say for this people need a minimum of the Oculus Rift and a keyboard, preferably an Oculus Rift and a Virtuix Omni, then if we get some good haptic vest, ect... even better. Now you sit at your desk or stand in your Omni and Put on your VR HMD device and you navigate to (let's call it)"The Universe" and you're in the many hub, which would be like an overview of the planet, and you choose your destination. From there you teleport to that location. In that location you could walk around freely or "fast-travel" to a destination. Let's call our first destination "Dungeons & Dragons Live" When you enter the building of dungeons and dragons live (remember you're still at home on your omni or at your desk) you see a variety of worlds displayed as either maps, globes, lists, ect... however and you select the world Ebberon. You are then transported to that world with the clothing you have set for the character you've created. Now let's say you had made a warrior and earlier that day you went to (once again at your desk or omni) a D&D clothing store and purchased an amazing looking sword and some spiffy medieval looking pants, well you're able to wear those in Ebberon as well. Now we're leaving Ebberon and travel to "The Table Top Game Shop" and you see DMs posting that they have a game coming up on a specified date and are looking for applicants. Well you apply and are accepted and the day has arrived and you enter that game and you put on the cloths you had bought at our earlier shop.

I hope this helps to better explain. BTB I'm not saying you're limited to wearing these cloths at these events that would just be what is socially appropriate or expected, you could wear the same outfits to an aquarium.

Madaras
Expert Protege
Hmm....some virtual cake sounds good right about now 🙂 Yummy dark chocolate fudge cake with a dark chocolate pudding layer.

geekmaster
Protege
"Madaras" wrote:
Hmm....some virtual cake sounds good right about now 🙂 Yummy dark chocolate fudge cake with a dark chocolate pudding layer.

I am tempted to report that to the mods as "off topic"! 😉 :lol:

Madaras
Expert Protege
But this cake is special, I can bring it with me anywhere in the virtual world. I'll go to Skyrim and share it with one of my blood brothers, then because it's the special cake from the Matrix we'll likely end up in the barracks :twisted: :twisted: