cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 Compatible Expansion Cards

teknix1
Protege
Hi,

Like many people, the wait between the pre-order and actually receiving the headset gives me time to get my PC ready. I have USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (ASUS P9X79) but they are not compatible (Asmedia). So I've been looking at getting a PCI Express card to get the required ports. As mentioned many times before in this forum, Inateck makes one that has been tested by Oculus (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW). The Oculus documentation about the USB requirements state that I will need three USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 port toi plug in everything. I thought I had read way back that I was going to need 5 ports total, did I dream this? Anyways, here's the break down of the requirements:
1x 3.0 USB port for the headset
1x 3.0 USB port for the 3D Positional Tracker
1x 3.0 USB port for Oculus Touch (available at a later date)
1x 2.0 USB port for Xbox wireless controller

So my thinking is why not get a card that will give me all the ports necessary for the Rift? Inateck also makes one with 4 USB 3.0 ports (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM), can I assume this will do the job? Oculus says that I need a card with a Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset, I believe it has such chipset but it's for all four ports (plus internal ones) rather than the two (plus internal ones again) with the Oculus tested card, now does that make it incompatible? Same throughput divided amongst more ports... Inateck also makes a few cards with 5 ports...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nic
89 REPLIES 89

teknix1
Protege
Well if the oculus checker doesn't complain then it should be good enough. I decided to go ahead and order the KTU3FR-4P from amazon.

Thanks everyone!
Nic

cybereality
Grand Champion
@teknix1: Amazon keeps changing the link. I think one of the good ones is KTU3FR-5O2U. However, Inatek makes multiple models that all use the FL1100 chipset and those should be working.

http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspee ... B00FPIMICA
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

KBK
Protege
"DannyMNL" wrote:
Though, the 3D positional camera and the sensors in the headset itself would probably benefit from the lower latency of USB3.0

Not benefit, actually...more like 'require'.

at 90hz, the full loop, is only 11 milliseconds, so individual low single digit milliseconds count.

Render is tied wholly to the entire loop. never mind the rest of the decision and action tree.

USB 2.0 at a max of 1000 polls of the port per second, is nowhere near fast enough.

A 10x speed increase, with the whole bus interrupt path in consideration in that 10x increase, is critical.

USB 3.0 is full duplex, which means two way traffic at all times, and this gives something akin to a 10x improvement in timing for full loop feedback systems like the Rift hardware and PC combination.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

teknix1
Protege
Thanks Cyber, what I timely response. I believe all their cards use that chipset, but as soon as you get one that has more than 4 external ports, you can see there's a new chip on the board. Not sure what's it's for. So I managed to cancel my order and got the KTU3FR-5O2I instead (5O2U was unavailable). It's basically the same as the KTU3FR-5O2U but has an internal 20 pin header instead on the two USB ports. The board looks 99% the same and I'm going to guess that it'll work just as well.

teknix1
Protege
Definitely the faster the loop the better, but I don't think they actually need to go below 11ms to have a great experience in relation to the tracking. I remember reading the Oculus blogs years ago and they were explaining how they were predicting the head movements, really neat stuff.

Oh, here we go, I was able to find it again: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/the-l ... rediction/

I wave to wonder how much processing is actually done within the sensor and how much data is actually send through the USB port. 1000+ polls a second, that could be a lot of data depending on what is actually sent.

smithman300
Honored Guest
Is Inateck the only manufacturer that uses this FL1100EX chipset in PCIe expansion cards or are there others?

buffer
Honored Guest
"smithman300" wrote:
Is Inateck the only manufacturer that uses this FL1100EX chipset in PCIe expansion cards or are there others?

Also ORICO PFU3-4P

KingNeba
Honored Guest
"buffer" wrote:
"smithman300" wrote:

Also ORICO PFU3-4P

Just picked up the PFU3-4P for $22.99 since the Inateck card linked in old threads is unavailable. Thanks for the info.

shim2
Adventurer
Is anyone from Oculus going to talk about USB/HDMI expansion cables? I've asked about this for a good while now, but not one response.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Are you sure guys all your USB 3.0 ports are not compatible? I have 6 x USB 3.0 ports (and 2xUSB 2.0) and the Oculus compatible tool said SOME of my ports wasn't compatible. It turn to be the 2 USB 3.0 ports in front of my case, the remaining 4 on the back are compatible with the Oculus Rift, so my computer is OK if I use 3 ports on the back and I will not have to buy any USB 3.0 additional card.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1