cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not shipping to Canary islands?

Psychokiller999
Honored Guest
This is really sad, i feel discriminated, I live in Spain and I pre-ordered a Rift because Spain was in the list of shipping countries and didn't say it exclude the Canary islands.I just had the issue that the shipping address couldn't be verified like others but the pre-order was ok and the expect shipping date was in May.Now they tell the problem is that they are not shipping to Canary islands.I sold my gtx 770 to get a one ready for the rift and this notice just make me feel very sad.Because I think Oculus should put this information more clear before the pre-order was open, for example "we ship to Spain except Canary Islands" It wasn't so difficult and with this information i didnt pre-order thinking i have one for May. Maybe i was the only unlucky person who order a Rift from Canary islands but this makes my day really bad.Imagine you feel so lucky to have te pre order because your are in one country that is in the list like me and then they tell you they can't ship to this part of the country, how you will feel?..i turned from feeling one of the lucky to feel the unlucky one..it was really much better to know this before the pre-order...I still can't believe i will loose my pre-order place because of that.Sorry if my english is not very good I need to improve it.
62 REPLIES 62

Nacho_Odinson
Explorer
I hope they explain that. I also from the Canary Islands and they told me everything was oK

cybereality
Grand Champion
International logistics is very complicated. It's not as easy as adding another country to a drop-down list.

We are launching in 20 countries to start with. Other regions will be added later, though I'm not quite sure Canary Island will be part of that list. In any case, putting the country as Spain will most like get the package lost. We had people try this same "trick" with the dev kits. You know what happened? The packages got lost. Then what do you do?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Nacho_Odinson
Explorer
Lost? We are a part of Spain. If the package says Canary Islands, Spain, why would it get lost? Is not that we are changing the country. I think this is merely a missunderstanding and the support from Oculus just thought we were a different country.

Saffron
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
International logistics is very complicated. It's not as easy as adding another country to a drop-down list.

We are launching in 20 countries to start with. Other regions will be added later, though I'm not quite sure Canary Island will be part of that list. In any case, putting the country as Spain will most like get the package lost. We had people try this same "trick" with the dev kits. You know what happened? The packages got lost. Then what do you do?

That's like saying that you ship to USA but not to California. And then saying that some people try this "trick" of writing the country as USA and putting the blame on them for a lost package.... :?

Canary islands is part of Spain. And Psychokiller999 is right, if you sell to Spain but exclude some territory, that should be clearly stated in the web.

Just my 2c.

Psychokiller999
Honored Guest
I`m trying to clarify this with the support because I don`t understand this and its illogical because I live in Las palmas and this province belongs to Spain and the Canary Islands is territory of Spain and if anyone hasn`t it so clear you can check that here. :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Spain

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
"cybereality" wrote:

It's understandable that Oculus doesn't want to send units to places where they get abnormally frequent lost, since what happens is that another unit has to be sent which results in Oculus losing money because they were subsidizing the devkit units.
And even with CV1, it's being sold at a loss.

So, I guess Oculus prioritized "reliable" countries first in their international shipping.

ClassicGamerNL
Expert Protege
The economy on the spain Islands is based primarily on tourism, which makes up 32% of the GDP. Spain excluded the the islands outside the European Union customs territory and VAT area. Instead of VAT there is a local Sales Tax (IGIC) which has a general rate of 7%, an increased tax rate of 13.5%, a reduced tax rate of 3% and a zero tax rate for certain basic need products and services. Consequently, some products are subject to import tax and VAT if being exported from the islands into mainland Spain or the rest of the EU.

That's your answer. Don't you have any family across the wather?

I remember you could also get a lot of illegal games, movies and other kind of stuff on the Islands back in the 90's, like GameBoy cards with 100 games on one cassette. GameBoys we're amazingly cheap because of the attractive tax rate. So if you're lucky you can buy a Rift in time for a much better price than the rest of Europe! :mrgreen: 😮

Maybe Cyber can add it in the CV1 Mega thread...
We are all just human... share your respect and show your love.

spikerules
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:

The question should not be what THEY do, but what YOU SHOULD do to fix it. Send them the thing they paid for and make sure their country is listed and stop discrimination against them because your company thinks you won't get enough business from that particular country to make it worthwhile. Canary Islands is a Spanish Island... why on earth would this be a TRICK? If your company lists SPAIN it should be able to go to SPAIN. So I'm not even sure why this is an issue?

The logistics can be complicated? It's not like you invented the product yesterday. It should have been made uncomplicated ages ago. You've been shipping dev kits for how long now?

I find your tone extremely rude too. You're calling it a "trick" like they are trying to trick you? No they just want the product you have advertised the MASSES ONLINE. What a condescending git... you actually work for Oculus? Wow HR needs to be informed.

Nacho_Odinson
Explorer
Exactly, we are not tricking anyone. It is listed that Oculus ships to Spain. Im sure its a missunderstanding, but it really is tiresome trying to have a response from Oculus. Right now, consumer support is almost non existent.