New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus touch needs to change to track pads

RosevilleReaperRosevilleReaper Posts: 104
Brain Burst
edited January 2016 in General
They need to change to track pads in stead of damn analog sticks..Pc gamer's hate analog sticks! That's the only thing that bums me out..

Comments

• onefangonefang Posts: 249
    NerveGear
    They need to change to track pads in stead of damn analog sticks..Pc gamer's hate analog sticks! That's the only thing that bums me out..

I love analog sticks, and hate track pads. In fact, track pads and I are incompatible, I have really long and strong finger nails. You should see the deep lines etched into my keyboard. lol
  • BAngelBAngel Posts: 86
    Brain Burst
    Track pads, over analog sticks? Bah, you're taking crazy pills. I need tactile feedback. And if I can't see, I'd like to be able to have a 0,0 coordinate that I can easily return to. Analog sticks in, track pads out.
    We are actually going to rename the DK2 to the PDBTIYANAD2 (please don't buy this if you are not a developer 2).
    -cybereality
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    Just get the Vive if you want track pads.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    What kinda crazy PC gamers do you play with? On average PC gamers prefer mouse and keyboard for #1, then normal game controllers #2. Valve released a controller with track pads, and most PC gamers in general don't like it (I think it's pretty cool, though, especially the track-ball emulation where it feels like a real trackball).
  • j82kj82k Posts: 23
    NerveGear
    Moving your character around with trackpads is a terrible idea, sticks are much better for that. Even though this kind of movement is frowned upon for VR games, some games will still require it as there's not really a good alternative.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,114
    Wintermute
    Each person is different hopefully. I always play on PC (starting 35 years ago), and depending games, I switch from Keyboard+Mouse (E.g. Fallout) to Gamepad with analog stick (The Witcher 3). In fact, I prefer playing with Gamepad with Analog stick if it's a game without aiming (gun). I also use my wheel for racing simulator and Hotas for Fly stuffs. So no, you can't classify average PC player like this IMHO.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    A shame that Leap motion controller moved to OSVR company... :(
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    What kinda crazy PC gamers do you play with? On average PC gamers prefer mouse and keyboard for #1, then normal game controllers #2. Valve released a controller with track pads, and most PC gamers in general don't like it (I think it's pretty cool, though, especially the track-ball emulation where it feels like a real trackball).

PC gamer here with a Steam Controller. Playing a FPS with stick OR trackpad isn't ever the ideal input, but Steam Controller wins above x-box controller for gaming in general, hands down. Trackpads, gyro steering/aiming, near infinite customization, there's no comparison. Yesterday I used Steam Controller as a steering wheel for Live for Speed then played Blaze Rush effortlessly without having to switch input. By the way, Blaze Rush with a Steam Controller improved my course times dramatically.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,138 Volunteer Moderator
    I recently bought a Steam controller to experiment with. I was trying to play Portal 2, with the left trackpad as the mouse and the right one for movement (I'm left-handed, so the left-side analogue stick is useless for me).

I gotta say, trying to move with the trackpad was really awkward. It felt like I was skating all over the place. It was much more difficult to control my direction than with a stick. (Maybe I need to tweak the config to create some deadzone between the directions--like a D-pad rather than a joystick).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • JpegJpeg Posts: 32
    Pffft, you are all wrong. We are mouse and keyboard users afterall. So this obviously means we need individual micro thumb mice attachments atop mini mice pads that are embeded into the controller.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    nalex66 wrote:
    I recently bought a Steam controller to experiment with. I was trying to play Portal 2, with the left trackpad as the mouse and the right one for movement (I'm left-handed, so the left-side analogue stick is useless for me).

I gotta say, trying to move with the trackpad was really awkward. It felt like I was skating all over the place. It was much more difficult to control my direction than with a stick. (Maybe I need to tweak the config to create some deadzone between the directions--like a D-pad rather than a joystick).

Did you download any of the community configs? There might be one in there for southpaws having the same issue.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,138 Volunteer Moderator
    I played with it for a little while, and haven't gone back to it. I don't have much need for a controller (even for my livingroom PC, I have a nice wireless keyboard and mouse set-up), but I wanted to see what their trackpad tech was like. I do like that the controller is user-configurable, though--I might play with it further as a VR input option while I wait for Touch.

Anyway, I'm fine with sticks on the Touch controllers, but what I'd really like for VR is a set of foot-operated controls for movement, so I'm not busying my hands with something that my feet should be doing.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • RosevilleReaperRosevilleReaper Posts: 104
    Brain Burst
    Dont get me wrong mouse and keyboard are above all else, BUT... try to open and close tabs and windows with an analog stick, it would take forever and suck...Its way easier to do with a track pad hence more precise...
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,216 Valuable Player
    No. Just no. lol :shock: :lol:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,277
    3Jane
    EliteSPA wrote:
    A shame that Leap motion controller moved to OSVR company... :(
    Direct hand tracking isn't anywhere near ready for VR, unless you enjoy having your application misread your instructions.

Lucky enough we're getting Touch controllers at all.

Thumbsticks and track pads are both bad solutions for moving in VR anyway.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,233 Valuable Player
    Dont get me wrong mouse and keyboard are above all else, BUT... try to open and close tabs and windows with an analog stick, it would take forever and suck...Its way easier to do with a track pad hence more precise...

Wouldn't you use the controller itself to control the mouse pointer?
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    Cyril wrote:
    Thumbsticks and track pads are both bad solutions for moving in VR anyway.
    I think it could be worth trying some "walking with your hands" kind of locomotion.
  • onefangonefang Posts: 249
    NerveGear
    nalex66 wrote:
    Anyway, I'm fine with sticks on the Touch controllers, but what I'd really like for VR is a set of foot-operated controls for movement, so I'm not busying my hands with something that my feet should be doing.

I just remembered an idea I had for Second Life / OpenSim some time ago. You can't really walk and talk at the same time, so my idea was to have some sort of foot operated walking control, leaving my hands free to type. Never found anything suitable, but I wasn't looking hard.
  • thebocopthebocop Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Heck no, I love analog sticks, you are crazy.  
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    It's been announced that (Santa Cruz) will have Trackpads and no analog sticks. It's not final design yet.

Image result for Redesigned touch controller santa cruz
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,102 Valuable Player
    edited January 2018
    please dont speak for all PC gamers.... (pet hate) you do NOT speak for me. I cant stand trackpads and have no problem at all with sticks until such a time we have full body/finger and any object intelligent tracking.

they are the main reason for me why i dislike wands and am confident i will still prefer touch over knuckles... and to me, the steampad is rubbish.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    NO!

It's been announced that (Santa Cruz) will have Trackpads and no analog sticks. It's not final design yet.

Image result for Redesigned touch controller santa cruz

I hope not.  Those rings look awful in that position.  The current Touch controllers are PERFECT in every way. 
    DON'T SCREW AROUND WITH PERFECTION!!!
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player

This gamer hates trackpads.  The game I play the most would suffer from trackpads because the sticks work better.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player
    What's with all these damn Necrothreads popping up all of a sudden?  Is there a newbie that's responding to old threads and bringing them back in the feed?
    falken76 said:
    What's with all these damn Necrothreads popping up all of a sudden?  Is there a newbie that's responding to old threads and bringing them back in the feed?
      Yeah I was noticing that as well.  It's getting quite annoying.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,828 Valuable Player
    You didn't mention why PC gamers hate analog sticks. Analog sticks aren't good at aiming. A track pad is more like a mouse so it's better for aiming. But in VR you aim by pointing your motion control. 

The analog stick is better for controlling a character walking and running. You can gradually increase from slow walk to fast running by moving the stick more forward. How do you do that with a track pad?

You can also turn continuously and at different speeds with an analog stick. A track pad offers very jerky swipe motion. How do you circle strafe smoothly? 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    plus the OP does NOT speak for all gamers.....just for himself.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 795
    3Jane
    I hate track pads...