cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 compatibility

Anonymous
Not applicable
So apparently my "ASMedia usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 0.96 (microsoft)" USB controller is incompatible.
Cyber can you confirm that it definitely won't work? Should I wait and see or just buy a new USB PCI card now?

And your site only mentions one compatible controller... "Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset". Is that really the case?

And you provided only one link to 1 card on Amazon, surely there are more to choose from? I tried searching the stores I usually buy from, newegg.ca, directcanada.ca, tigerdirect.ca even Amazon but unfortunately FL1100EX does not turn up anything. Are you planning on adding a larger list of compatible PCI cards?

thanks,
28 REPLIES 28

Stelzer
Expert Protege
The 0.96 are maybe only your front panel ports. Deactivate it in hardware manager and check if your back USB ports are still working. Test should be pass now.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The Asmedia is one brand of controller with problems, but not the only one. If the Compatibility Tool is failing for USB, that means you probably have one of the problem controllers.

There should be many controllers that DO work, but it's hard to say without testing them. The Fresco Logic FL1100EX is one known to be 100% working. You should be able to find it if you look. Basically, just search for "inateck pci usb" on Amazon or any other popular site. You should find it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Inateck-Express-Co ... B00PAFDW3M
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

NickytheHutt
Expert Protege
I have a whole bunch of Zotac, Asus and Gigabyte motherboards with USB 3 at home, and I'm going to buy one more (to change from u-ATX), may we see the controller compatibility list and perhaps in the future contribute to it somehow?

Blue73
Explorer
FYI, I just received and installed a USB3 NEC chipset based PCIE card, it passed the Oculus compatibility test.

Here's a link to the card I picked up off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-0-PCI-Express-Card-for-Desktop-PC-7-Ports-4-Ext-3-Int-NEC-Chipset-/...

Anonymous
Not applicable
What happens if you did fail it? Like, it wont work or just not supported? I never had problems with my USB 3.0.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If it fails, most likely nothing will work at all.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cybereality" wrote:
If it fails, most likely nothing will work at all.

Oh man, what is the reason behind it? Do you know by off chance? Mine pass on my computer, but someone else I know had their fail.. but being the guy that needs to "know it all" if be neat to find out the answer.

cybereality
Grand Champion
What the issue boils down to is that the USB 3.0 specification was ambiguous in places, and certain vendors may have interpreted the spec in different, conflicting, ways. Not wrong, just different, but these differences lead to undefined behavior. You don't notice it with simple devices (like a thumb drive or whatever) but with all the complexity of Rift, it becomes an issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cybereality" wrote:
What the issue boils down to is that the USB 3.0 specification was ambiguous in places, and certain vendors may have interpreted the spec in different, conflicting, ways. Not wrong, just different, but these differences lead to undefined behavior. You don't notice it with simple devices (like a thumb drive or whatever) but with all the complexity of Rift, it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the fast reply. Alright, sounds like a good enough answer to me. Man, any Asus MB will be almost blacklist from the sounds of that though.