cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 compatibility

Anonymous
Not applicable
So apparently my "ASMedia usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 0.96 (microsoft)" USB controller is incompatible.
Cyber can you confirm that it definitely won't work? Should I wait and see or just buy a new USB PCI card now?

And your site only mentions one compatible controller... "Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset". Is that really the case?

And you provided only one link to 1 card on Amazon, surely there are more to choose from? I tried searching the stores I usually buy from, newegg.ca, directcanada.ca, tigerdirect.ca even Amazon but unfortunately FL1100EX does not turn up anything. Are you planning on adding a larger list of compatible PCI cards?

thanks,
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cybereality" wrote:
The Asmedia is one brand of controller with problems, but not the only one. If the Compatibility Tool is failing for USB, that means you probably have one of the problem controllers.

There should be many controllers that DO work, but it's hard to say without testing them. The Fresco Logic FL1100EX is one known to be 100% working. You should be able to find it if you look. Basically, just search for "inateck pci usb" on Amazon or any other popular site. You should find it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Inateck-Express-Co ... B00PAFDW3M

Thanks Cyber, when I clicked on the link earlier today from work, it linked to a 5 port card, with an internal 20 pin expansion connector which is what I'm looking for. I just finished checking my PC to make sure I had an available slot. I do, but it looks to be a tight fit. So I was about to order it any way, but it isn't available any more. Someone here must have beat me to it. 😞 They do offer a 2 port with the internal 20 pin connector, but I think I'll keep looking. That said, I still feel that Oculus should be going out of their way to test a few different cards / chipsets and expanding their compatibility list. You are selling to consumers now, this isn't a dev kit any more. I would hate for you guys to get bad reviews on Day 1 because of incompatibility issues.

And I noticed that Inateck offers cord-free power supplied cards, like this one... http://www.amazon.ca/Cord-free-Inateck- ... 13&sr=1-46
Would these still work with a RIFT? I would think that the RIFT needs to draw some extra power directly from the power supply. If they don't work, I would suggest updating your FAQ to say so. Just my two cents.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well it uses the right chipset, not sure about power usage.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Silverfoxx30
Protege
I'm led to believe you need the one with the power connector as the port itself does not create enough power to run products plugged in. I.E. My windows phone comes up with a slow charging message when connected to my front pc ports but obviously fine on my powered rear ports.

Hence I ordered the powered card to be safe.

Shpinxis
Protege
I followed what Cyber posted and bought and installed this Inateck one today. Before, the checker told me my USB 3.0 ports were not compatible (with a red X). Now the checker says that some of my USB 3.0 ports are incompatible (with a yellow triangle warning). So, I'm assuming it works fine and that the new ones are compatible even though it does not specifically mention them.

http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspee ... etek+3.0+4

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes. That sounds about right. You'll just have to use the new ports for Rift.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

shim2
Adventurer
Any info on 15-25ft USB 3.0 extension cables? And HDMI extension cables as well?

"Mradr" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
What the issue boils down to is that the USB 3.0 specification was ambiguous in places, and certain vendors may have interpreted the spec in different, conflicting, ways. Not wrong, just different, but these differences lead to undefined behavior. You don't notice it with simple devices (like a thumb drive or whatever) but with all the complexity of Rift, it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the fast reply. Alright, sounds like a good enough answer to me. Man, any Asus MB will be almost blacklist from the sounds of that though.

Just read this.. and to confirm, my motherboard passes the test just fine (Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1).

Anonymous
Not applicable
"DaftnDirect" wrote:
"Mradr" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
What the issue boils down to is that the USB 3.0 specification was ambiguous in places, and certain vendors may have interpreted the spec in different, conflicting, ways. Not wrong, just different, but these differences lead to undefined behavior. You don't notice it with simple devices (like a thumb drive or whatever) but with all the complexity of Rift, it becomes an issue.

Thanks for the fast reply. Alright, sounds like a good enough answer to me. Man, any Asus MB will be almost blacklist from the sounds of that though.
All P8Z77 boards I think will fail the test I am sure. I just tested a P8Z77-V. I have a few more I might check later when I get back into the store some time this week.

NVM O.O THAT'S REALLY WEIRD!!!

So like you can disable the Asmedia controller and then it says pass on the compatibility test? lol, so like I guess it depends on what ports you plug it into. Very interesting 🙂 To point out ~ I guess if you have any of theses boards, don't use the first 2 USB 3.0s. Looks like they used them for the mouse and keyboard as a cheaper option than linking them to the Intel one.

Synthetic
Rising Star
"Mradr" wrote:

So like you can disable the Asmedia controller and then it says pass on the compatibility test? lol, so like I guess it depends on what ports you plug it into. Very interesting 🙂 To point out ~ I guess if you have any of theses boards, don't use the first 2 USB 3.0s. Looks like they used them for the mouse and keyboard as a cheaper option than linking them to the Intel one.

some sata and USB controllers are split.... trying to give you more ports
some controllers are better than others

Anonymous
Not applicable
"synthetic" wrote:

some sata and USB controllers are split.... trying to give you more ports
some controllers are better than others
Yea, I get why they had them, but didn't know they were a problem till now. Sorry if this information was known. Something I guess I never really notice from all the threads. Might explain why I never had problems with my USB 3.0s either if I was running them off my intel ones instead. Asus used it pretty heavily on some of their line ups and actually switch away from it. A lot of the Z77 boards have a Asmedia controller for their USB 3.0 from my research so far. Some have two lol.

Either way, hope someone finds this information useful. I mean if someone saw that test and saw that their USB isn't support... they might double check and see if disabling their asmedia and checking for the intel USB 3.0 is there before buying more hardware.