cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has everyone calmed down now?? :)

steveoz32
Expert Protege
I've been away from the forum for a week or so.

Granted I had issues when my order was messed up and I wasn't getting a response a couple of days from the pre order day but I ended up calming down 🙂

Got a little bored of seeing the USD price threads, moaning about price threads, will my PC run it threads etc appearing over and over and over!

So how is everyone feeling about their orders and or the release now? Everyone happy bunnies again? And are you excited yet?

The excitement has worn off for me now, but it's nice thinking that the time will soon come around and I will have a little surprise later this year to look forward to 🙂

I'm hoping the CV1 will work with some of the old apps though such as Virtual Desktop. That was one of my favourite apps.
36 REPLIES 36

bigmike20vt
Visionary
"cdmoore74" wrote:
Noticed that the majority of whiners regarding price and PC requirements left the forums. While I understand the sticker shock I don't see how people could complain about the PC requirements. Oculus released requirements months ago and I've used that template to upgrade my computer last November. People had nothing else better to do but complain.

I agree about the pcv requirements. it is hardly oculus' fault that being on the tip of the curve with VR is pricey.

As for the cost of the HMD ittself. For me the issue was never with the cost of the HMD, it was with the balls up in expectation management on the cost of it.

But Palmer Lucky has already carried the can for that, the water is well and truly under the bridge so onwards and upwards and all that.

TLDR - if you cant afford a high end PC, wait till the prices come down or get a PS4 with PS VR
if you cant afford a rift HMD, wait a few more years. the gear which is in the unit is not cheap, but will come down in time.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you think this is calm you should check out posts like this from July 15

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24951&hilit=quiet

8-) :lol:

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Mradr" wrote:
"notsram" wrote:
I was always pretty calm too. Like Snowdog above, I was expecting a UK price of £499. Hoping for less, but I'd been anticipating £500 for weeks, so placed my order. I've found the experience so far to be more frustrating than annoying. We're queueing up to pay Oculus a large amount of money and they really could have handled the launch better. Still, hindsight is a great thing!

I'm just hoping we get confirmation fairly soon of when our individual orders are likely to ship...

How so? Samsung and Apple also have this same issue on release day with their servers going down 😉 too many people = long line is all I am going to say ~

No, I don't mean the server outage. That was brief, and pretty much expected TBH.

I'm talking more about the misleading pricing. Oculus knew full well that many people were expecting $350ish as the launch price. They could have nipped that in the bud months ago and not had 1/10 of the backlash they've had now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"notsram" wrote:
"Mradr" wrote:
"notsram" wrote:
I was always pretty calm too. Like Snowdog above, I was expecting a UK price of £499. Hoping for less, but I'd been anticipating £500 for weeks, so placed my order. I've found the experience so far to be more frustrating than annoying. We're queueing up to pay Oculus a large amount of money and they really could have handled the launch better. Still, hindsight is a great thing!

I'm just hoping we get confirmation fairly soon of when our individual orders are likely to ship...

How so? Samsung and Apple also have this same issue on release day with their servers going down 😉 too many people = long line is all I am going to say ~

No, I don't mean the server outage. That was brief, and pretty much expected TBH.

I'm talking more about the misleading pricing. Oculus knew full well that many people were expecting $350ish as the launch price. They could have nipped that in the bud months ago and not had 1/10 of the backlash they've had now.

There is little point going over old ground.

Yes Oculus messed up the message, and yes Oculus changed their direction towards quality over affordability, but honestly which would you rather have a cheap Rift that did not live up to the best it could be or... what we have... a more expensive rift that delivers the best that could be possible today?

I myself was very vocal both before and after the pre-orders about the decision to not divulge the pricing and stated very clearly I thought it was a mistake.

I'm very glad that Palmer came forward and apologized for that mistake.

so rather than dwell on past mistakes, let's move forward o.k.?

maxpare79
Trustee
Always been calm, but now I am nervous about Elite Dangerous rift support lol, and itching to upgrade my system but disappointed that the release dates of Pascal, Polaris, zen, etc...are so far away...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Anonymous
Not applicable
"maxpare79" wrote:
Always been calm, but now I am nervous about Elite Dangerous rift support lol, and itching to upgrade my system but disappointed that the release dates of Pascal, Polaris, zen, etc...are so far away...

Me also... People are saying that to not worry it will be there... but Frontier are not making the right kind of noises for it to be a certainty.

Vic20
Protege
(Deleted)

Anonymous
Not applicable
"maxpare79" wrote:

Yep, the ED news is a bit worrying... I guess a lot of people are going to be looking even more closely at the Hive release price now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"notsram" wrote:
"maxpare79" wrote:

Yep, the ED news is a bit worrying... I guess a lot of people are going to be looking even more closely at the Hive release price now.

I guess you are not one of them... it's called the VIVE! lol :lol:

Hive is what you get if you're allergic to VR