cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 compatibility

Anonymous
Not applicable
So apparently my "ASMedia usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 0.96 (microsoft)" USB controller is incompatible.
Cyber can you confirm that it definitely won't work? Should I wait and see or just buy a new USB PCI card now?

And your site only mentions one compatible controller... "Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset". Is that really the case?

And you provided only one link to 1 card on Amazon, surely there are more to choose from? I tried searching the stores I usually buy from, newegg.ca, directcanada.ca, tigerdirect.ca even Amazon but unfortunately FL1100EX does not turn up anything. Are you planning on adding a larger list of compatible PCI cards?

thanks,
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received my Inateck 4-port card today, and it indeed works flawlessly and passes the test. I already passed the test before, but I have so many USB-accessories plugged into my PC that I needed an extra few. My USB-devices list in device manager is absolutely ridiculously long now...

IM0001
Protege
So while it says it fails, there is nothing keeping it from working by chance of Driver/Firmware update before release or am I really SOL based on my P9X79 Deluxe's chipset limitations and my current lack of extra PCI-E Lanes? (SLI + Soundcard + BT/Wifi). I may be able to kill off the BT/WiFi and swap in a 3.0 card, but I suppose trying once with the AsMedia stuff with the latest drivers wouldn't hurt once before throwing more money at hardware.
i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro

Something else to check.... my MB includes a setting in the BIOS for 'USB 3 Charging', by default it's not enabled, but my board passes the test anyway.
Just wondering if anyone who's board has failed the USB 3 test, and has this option in their BIOS, if enabling/disabling this makes a difference.

cybereality
Grand Champion
@IM0001: Yes, in theory a firmware update could fix the issue. However, I wouldn't bet on it. Probably best to invest a few bucks and get the expansion card.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

IM0001
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
@IM0001: Yes, in theory a firmware update could fix the issue. However, I wouldn't bet on it. Probably best to invest a few bucks and get the expansion card.

Yea I figured I can live without BT/Wifi on this board and ordered the 5 port version of the card from Amazon. 4 of the 6 rear USB 3.0 ports work fine, most of the time, but have been flaky at random times that requires a full power off and cap drain to bring them back. Goofy for sure so enough reason to be on the safe side.

I will never get a pass on the current Compatibility checker though due to my CPU being "behind' the recommended i5 in both number (3000 vs 4000) and "default clock" reading of 3.2ghz as well as my 780's not being a 900 series even though Nvidia does say the 700 series does support some of the VR features (like VR SLI at least). Still I do plan to upgrade those possibly once Pascal arrives.

I am working to tune my system as well as possible currently as I have my Virtuix Omni arriving Monday. Woo!

One thing @cybereality is there any mail going to be going out for the Kickstarter backed orders? Some place to see any details about possible ship time/touch pre-order/etc, or just be patient and be pleasantly surprised?
i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you were in the Kickstarter (and pledged $275 or more) you should have received a survey already. There are no other details at this time, but we'll probably send confirmations at a later date.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

tomgillotti
Honored Guest
If I only have one usb 3.0 slot available, can I use this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HWAH10/re ... OwbWVDM71X'>NRGized M-325 USB 3.0 4-Port Portable Hub with 2-Foot USB 3.0 Cable (Silver) (4-Port Hub with Stand) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HWAH10/re ... OwbWVDM71X

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm not sure the hub would have enough bandwidth (since it's technically just using 1 port) and if you only have 1 USB 3.0 port it probably means you are on a laptop, and laptops are not supported.

BigBadBoogie
Honored Guest

Something else to check.... my MB includes a setting in the BIOS for 'USB 3 Charging', by default it's not enabled, but my board passes the test anyway.

Just wondering if anyone who's board has failed the USB 3 test, and has this option in their BIOS, if enabling/disabling this makes a difference.

I have asmedia controller in my pc (2 of them).
1 works for the headset, but none work for the sensors. I have tried all bios optiona including above and all drivers that i could find.
I think the reason for not working is that the asmedia controller is a mass storage ONLY controller (that what my asus p8z68 gen 3 manual says the asmedia can be used for ONLY at least).

So if I want 3 sensors i should be best of with a dual or quad controller usb card as a single usb host controller would likely be exhausted from a single controller card. For 2 sensors it should work as the oculus recomended one (crap china card) only has one controller.

BUT dual or quad cards often rewuire oci expres *2 or *4 slots and since those sre often shared with mobo usb and oe graphic (mine is shared with the usb 3 mobo controller) that means i would have the mobo usb controller disabled and i would have to put headset + 3 sensors on the pci eexpress card.
THUS a quad controller is allmost mandatory unless i should out one or teo sensord on usb2 which leads to worse tracking (in theory at least, right now im using usb 2 only and while it works it does notnot so optimal)