cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

beldivad
Honored Guest
Hi!

I'm trying to use your software in mode : to headswet + distortion on the oculus DK2 for a research project and i'm running into a problem. I'm using a matlab executable and it launch into full screen mode and the output to the rift is black. I'm able to go around the probleme by pressing alt/tab ( it make software glitch and the windows tool bar apear on the botom similar to window mode ) and selecting back the software. Unfornulatly that make my software unstable and it often crash. Do you think there's a way to force virtual desktop to focus on the software instead of the background in a similar way that FRAPS can capture video?

Thank you!

P.S. if this work I will ask the lab supervisor to make a donation!

LordJuanlo
Protege
"LordJuanlo" wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Tried and none of them helped. As soon as the game starts rendering in SBS mode, headtracking is terrible. It's not a bit of judder, it feels like 8-10 frames per second, although the game keeps rendering at hight speed. Not sure if it will help you, but if I press alt-tab once to change task while inside the game and I keep alt pressed to see available tasks on screen, headtracking works much better. Not judder free but much better than when the game has the focus. And I can see the game in 3D behind the tasks window running just fine. As soon as the game gains forcus again, headtracking tanks.

Also, launching the game without TriDef works perfectly fine.

Hey guygodin, I'm quoting myself on this terrible judder problem, just wondering if this can be fixed at all, or we better can forget avout TriDef3D. Before SDK 0.7 it was running fine and now TriDef + Virtual Desktop is unusable. This is the last reply I got from you:

Haven't changed much on my side so it's hard to determine why this wouldn't work. Perhaps the new direct mode is the cause.

I was wondering if there is still hope for us TriDef users 😉
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

guygodin
Protege
"beldivad" wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to use your software in mode : to headswet + distortion on the oculus DK2 for a research project and i'm running into a problem. I'm using a matlab executable and it launch into full screen mode and the output to the rift is black. I'm able to go around the probleme by pressing alt/tab ( it make software glitch and the windows tool bar apear on the botom similar to window mode ) and selecting back the software. Unfornulatly that make my software unstable and it often crash. Do you think there's a way to force virtual desktop to focus on the software instead of the background in a similar way that FRAPS can capture video?

Thank you!

P.S. if this work I will ask the lab supervisor to make a donation!

Try to run matlab in windowed/borderless mode, it shows a black screen because it fails to inject it. The other thing you can try is to launch matlab from the games list.

guygodin
Protege
"LordJuanlo" wrote:
I was wondering if there is still hope for us TriDef users 😉

That's out of my control unfortunately. SDK 1.0 might solve this issue though so don't give up hope 🙂

Nikorasu
Adventurer
Just had an idea for a feature, tho I have a feeling it's probably been suggested before..

Instead of just having One floating window for the whole desktop screen, would it be possible to have customizable/movable individual floating-windows for each program-window on your desktop? That could be dragged and placed around, as easily as you might move desktop windows, except individually floating in VR..

For example, I could move a floating youtube browser window to my left, and have my Office projects on a window floating in front of me, and instead of having to click on the taskbar to bring the video forward to see it, I could just look left to the other floating screen.

tangelo
Honored Guest
I'm having a serious issue installing the newest version of Virtual Desktop through VirtualDesktop-Setup.exe.

I can follow through the regular guided installation process fine but as soon as I hit the install button, the software hangs until I close it manually.

Is there any way I could have access to a previous version of Virtual Desktop to help debug this issue?

Feroc
Protege
New version is still crashing with the "... Media64.dll failed to register" error during installation. 😞

guygodin
Protege
If it faits to register its because the media feature pack is not installed or it cannot get admin permission to register it.

TremF
Expert Protege
OMG! Thank you for this fantastic software!

I received my DK2 today so haven't messed much yet but Virtual Desktop worked instantly and I now have a massive curved monitor floating in space! I've watched some films but haven't tried any games yet. I hope you can make it so we can have multiple virtual monitors without having to have them physically. 3 would be nice 🙂

I have had an issue though - When running a VR app the headset switched from Virtual Desktop to the VR app but when I quit the app it just freezes on the headset rather than switch back to Virtual Desktop. I have to turn the headset off then back on again for Virtual Desktop to show again. Any ideas please?

As much as I love the OR DK2 I can't wait for CV1 as the low resolution is really noticeable. Especially after coming from a 2560x1440 monitor. 🙂

EDIT: I have just ordered two Display Port to HDMI adapters and two 4K HDMI Dummy Display adapters from Ebay so I will soon have my three monitor setup in Virtual Desktop 🙂 I also just remembered that the Rift comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter so I could have used that and got just one Display Port to HDMI adapter... never mind 🙂

It's pointless having all the power two Titan X's provide and not using them 🙂

Feroc
Protege
"guygodin" wrote:
If it faits to register its because the media feature pack is not installed or it cannot get admin permission to register it.

I found the solution, because as I stated I've already installed the MFP.

But there was an update and now there are two different MFP from Microsoft. The second one fixed the problem.

Here are the links to all packs:

Windows 8 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=30685
Windows 8.1 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40744
Windows 8.1 N/KN Update - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=42503
Windows 10 N/KN - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48231
Windows 10 N/KN Update 1511 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=49919