cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
Thanks for those links! I'll update the website to point to those

adam
Honored Guest
Hi,

I have just watched the demo video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JynN5mmZ0KQ

- and note you can change the background in the options

- also on the home page http://www.vrdesktop.net/ under the "Other features include:" section it says: Custom environments..

My questions:

1) What are these custom environments mentioned on the home page?
2) I'd like to view my Virtual Desktop whilst inside a true 3d environment - eg. instead of choosing a background in the options I'd like to be able to choose a 3d model as my surrounding environment - eg view my Virtual Desktop inside the Tuscany 'level'. - Is there any way to load somehow load a 3d environment that the Virtual Desktop is then placed into?
3) Are you transferring to paid version for CV1 ? (The site says free for DK1 and DK2)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Adam.

TremF
Expert Protege
"adam" wrote:

1) What are these custom environments mentioned on the home page?
2) I'd like to view my Virtual Desktop whilst inside a true 3d environment - eg. instead of choosing a background in the options I'd like to be able to choose a 3d model as my surrounding environment - eg view my Virtual Desktop inside the Tuscany 'level'. - Is there any way to load somehow load a 3d environment that the Virtual Desktop is then placed into?

Hi there. Apart from the space scenes you can have it blank (black) or Home Theater but I wouldn't use Home Theater for normal Windows/browsing as the text isn't readable.

The space scenes are pretty good and you can have your display either flat or curved and as big and as close/far as you like. If you have multiple monitors you can arrange them to wrap around you 360* The monitor(s) seem to be floating in front/around you and the space scenes provide a decent background to make you feel you're up there and IMO are quite relaxing/calming.

If you don't have multiple physical monitors there are dummy adapters you can buy which fool your PC into thinking there is a monitor plugged in and are massively cheaper than actually buying extra monitors and take up no extra space apart from the adapter in your PC. I physically have one 27" 2560x1440 monitor but also have two 4K HDMI dummy adapters coming so that, when I put the headset on, I have 2 extra virtual desktops to play with 🙂 Also the rift is accepting the 2560x1440 resolution set by my main display so it looks better than 1080P both on the desktop and in games.

Where games are concerned VorpX is an app worth getting for games that aren't made for VR.

Sorry for the waffle - I'm like a kid in a sweet shop with VR at the moment. I can't wait to receive my CV1 in July 🙂

guygodin
Protege
Thanks TremF, and to add to your reply, custom environments means user-created environments. You can your own from a 360 panorama, a cubemap or custom model (.fbx, .obj file) through the Environment Editor.

The app will be sold on Steam and Oculus Store (pending approval) for consumer versions of the Rift and Vive. I'll have more info about this soon.

TremF
Expert Protege
"guygodin" wrote:
The app will be sold on Steam and Oculus Store (pending approval) for consumer versions of the Rift and Vive. I'll have more info about this soon.

Woot! I'll deffo buy from Steam when you release. I'm surprised you aren't charging already. It's a fantastic app. Many thanks for all your work 🙂

Wizardkingz
Explorer
Hello,

Loved the virtual desktop for Dk2 wanted to know if you were planning on creating one that supported the OSVR hacker development kit v1.3

guygodin
Protege
OSVR will be supported through OpenVR when it launches

eah
Protege
Some feedback on 0.9.40 running against the 0.8 back-compat path on a not-yet-publicly released SDK: It fails to run on new prototype hardware with a "No VR Headset Found", are you explicitly checking for known HMD models? DK2 does work in 0.9.40, and 0.9.37 works for both DK2 and the newer HMD against the new SDK.

Also you seem to be skipping ovr_GetEyePoses on frame #3 which means the app timing is messed up for that frame, is there a reason you need to pass explicit frame indexes rather than letting the SDK handle it (e.g. pass 0 as the frameIndex)?

Vladimiro_Renoi
Honored Guest
were can we find some info about how to make custom environments and whats is needed please

guygodin
Protege
I replied to you in private eah.

About creating environments Vladimir, I don't have documentation available at the moment but it should be pretty straightforward. Just launch the Environment Editor and you'll be able to figure out what's needed. You can use a 360 equirectangular panorama, cubemap, stereo cubemap or model (in .fbx, .obj, .blend, etc). Please PM me any questions you have.