cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus CV1 compatibility with Nvidia GTX 980 M

etienne1968
Honored Guest
please help anybody ?
I purchased the cutting edge MSI laptop GT80 TITAN dual Nvidia GTX 980M SLI in august 2015, thinking it was Oculus CV1 compatible. :evil:
I was about to preorder the CV1 but I need to know officially if my rig is ok or no ??
Apparently it doesn't seem to be.... I'm so pissed off considering the cost of my laptop : 4700$. The retailer assured me it was compatible (minimum specs being Nvidia GTX 970). :oops:
Thank you for any help....
85 REPLIES 85

Lemming1970
Rising Star
I'll say it before cybereality has to again......

SLi is not supported.

M gpu's are not supported.
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer
"etienne1968" wrote:
please help anybody ?
I purchased the cutting edge MSI laptop GT80 TITAN dual Nvidia GTX 980M SLI in august 2015, thinking it was Oculus CV1 compatible. :evil:
I was about to preorder the CV1 but I need to know officially if my rig is ok or no ??
Apparently it doesn't seem to be.... I'm so pissed off considering the cost of my laptop : 4700$. The retailer assured me it was compatible (minimum specs being Nvidia GTX 970). :oops:
Thank you for any help....

Just wait for NVidia Pascal coming out prob Q4 2015. Wing it until then.
facebook.com/AntDX316

2oonLink
Explorer
Don't listen to anyone saying M classes arent supporting, including cyber reality. Its only because the graphic cards on most laptops are integrated and have optimus, msi gt80 does NOT have optimus, and it does in fact work with the SINGLE gtx 980m, that being said- the sli is not yet supported (it will still use one of your cards though). Also the msi gt80 is upgradable to the gtx 980 desktop (non m) as its one of the supported oculus-compatible laptops on nvidia's website.
P.S Any laptop that supports external gsync is oculus rift ready, gsync doesnt support optimus so its an instant giveaway.
Sources: WIll update links to support this when I get home later on tonight, but most of this is anecdotal and firsthand experience. (acer predator 15 gtx 980m, works perfectly with the rift up to today) 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
Just to clarify, "not supported" and "not working" are different things. So when I say mobile gpus are not supported, it means it may not work and you will receive no help or tech support if it doesn't work. It actually may work, for example if you find one of the few laptops without Optimus or whatever. But you're on your own at that point.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

2oonLink
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
Just to clarify, "not supported" and "not working" are different things. So when I say mobile gpus are not supported, it means it may not work and you will receive no help or tech support if it doesn't work. It actually may work, for example if you find one of the few laptops without Optimus or whatever. But you're on your own at that point.

Gotcha, but I do feel someone should make a sticky thread clarifying
"For everyone that wants an oculus ready laptop- they're not supported but ALL of them without optimus and a gtx980m or above are confirmed running"
this also won't change anytime soon because at that point, theres no other internal differences between a gaming laptop with these specs and a gaming desktop gtx970 and above besides the casing/how the monitors are connected. (at least nothing that should make or break it with the oculus rift)

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"2oonLink" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:

Gotcha, but I do feel someone should make a sticky thread clarifying
"For everyone that wants an oculus ready laptop- they're not supported but ALL of them without optimus and a gtx980m or above are confirmed running"
this also won't change anytime soon because at that point, theres no other internal differences between a gaming laptop with these specs and a gaming desktop gtx970 and above besides the casing/how the monitors are connected. (at least nothing that should make or break it with the oculus rift)

You can't say ALL of anything at all is confirmed working - in fact, right now you can't say anything is confirmed working, unless one of the developers with a CV1 has confirmed it. Also, a 980m benchmarks as slower than a 970, so it doesn't even meet the minimum specs that Oculus put out.

And if there's a sticky, that would mean official support, which Oculus obviously isn't ready to give.

owenwp
Expert Protege
There just isn't any spec you will find on the back of the box that tells you if a laptop will work with the Rift or not. That is true even of the DK2, which doesn't have any of the special USB requirements.

Some laptops with Optimus do work, some without it don't. Laptops use a lot of custom parts to make them smaller, and they don't tell you what performance compromises they made.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, it's hard to confirm which laptops work as they are all subtly different.

If anything, the desktop GTX 980 laptops have a good chance of working and those may actually get some support.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

hamishtodd1
Honored Guest
"Dreamwriter" wrote:

980m benchmarks as slower than a 970, so it doesn't even meet the minimum specs that Oculus put out.

Yeah but they are as fast as a 290, the other "minimum" http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290-v ... e-GTX-980M

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer
People need to understand it cost the company money to put people to get things to work under warranty.

It clogs lines so the wait time for people who do need help w/ things that are supported end up in a 45 minute queue.

The easiest way when things aren't 100% solid like putting a 17mm socket on a 17mm bolt instead of SAE socket to 17mm and trying to get it to work they will just say we can't help you (you are on your own).

It's like you want to use your lego set for something else but everyone's set comes w/ different bricks. You might not have enough bricks to complete what needs to be made. Some people might have more bricks than others then it will work but some won't. Asking help from legos they won't know who has enough and who doesn't. Easier for management to say not supported so like 50 steps would equal just 1.

If you know you can't ski w/o skis and you choose to go down with your body, depending on how your body is not everyone will skii as efficient downhill or something. It's probably more of like trying to fit a rod in a hole but everyone's rod wasn't made under the same standard. It's impossible to tell what and what not would fit w/o any measurements to work with.

Just realize if Oculus doesn't work with your laptop then it won't work. If it works then it will. It might work in some apps and in others no depending on how the app was created w/ the SDK, programming techniques wise.
facebook.com/AntDX316