New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

0.7/0.8 GPU Setup [LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!]

Comments

• skyrexskyrex Posts: 2
    I'm still getting the "HMD is powered off - Check HDMI Connection" error. I'm running on Windows 10, and I've got the latest drivers for my graphics card. Here's the config log:
    {
    	"Time":	"2016-01-31_23:24:12",
    	"SDK Version":	"0.8.0.0",
    	"Local SDK Version":	"0.8.0.0",
    	"Service Running Time":	{
    		"Hours":	0,
    		"Minutes":	2,
    		"Seconds":	31
    	},
    	"Display Status":	{
    		"Display Mode":	2,
    		"Win10 Native":	{
    			"Capable":	1,
    			"Available":	0,
    			"ResultCode":	-3012,
    			"Status":	"DXGI 2 Preview Windows Update not installed. Please consider updating Windows to get it"
    		},
    		"IHVDirect":	{
    			"Available":	1,
    			"ResultCode":	0,
    			"Status":	"Direct Display available"
    		},
    		"Legacy Direct":	{
    			"Capable":	0,
    			"ResultCode":	-3005,
    			"Status":	"OVRDirect not supported on this OS. Please use one of the more supported modes"
    		},
    		"Summary ResultCode":	0,
    		"Summary Status":	""
    	},
    	"System Specifications":	{
    		"Operating System":	"Microsoft Windows 10 Home",
    		"Processor":	"Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz",
    		"Graphics Adapters":	[{
    				"Name":	"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970",
    				"Video Controller RAM (MB)":	4095,
    				"Driver Version":	"10.18.13.6175",
    				"Video Mode":	"1680 x 1050 x 4294967296 colors"
    			}],
    		"Total RAM (GB)":	8,
    		"USB Tree":	[{
    				"name":	"ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)",
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_1B21&DEV_1242&SUBSYS_50071458&REV_00\\4&1C6F5F04&0&00E0",
    				"caption":	"ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)",
    				"manufacturer":	"Generic USB xHCI Host Controller",
    				"Devices":	[{
    						"manufacturer":	"(Standard USB HUBs)",
    						"name":	"USB Root Hub (xHCI)"
    					}]
    			}, {
    				"name":	"Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)",
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_50071458&REV_31\\3&11583659&0&A0",
    				"caption":	"Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)",
    				"manufacturer":	"Generic USB xHCI Host Controller",
    						"name":	"USB Root Hub (xHCI)"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"Generic USB Hub"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"(Standard USB Host Controller)",
    						"name":	"USB Composite Device"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"(Standard system devices)",
    						"name":	"USB Input Device"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"(Standard keyboards)",
    						"name":	"HID Keyboard Device"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Microsoft",
    						"name":	"HID-compliant mouse"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"HID-compliant system controller"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"HID-compliant consumer control device"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"HID-compliant vendor-defined device"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"(Generic USB Audio)",
    						"name":	"Plantronics GameCom 780"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"Speakers (Plantronics GameCom 780)"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"SPDIF Interface (Plantronics GameCom 780)"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"Line (Plantronics GameCom 780)"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"Microphone (Plantronics GameCom 780)"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"name":	"Generic USB Hub"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"name":	"HID-compliant device"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"name":	"HID-compliant system controller"
    					}]
    			}]
    	},
    	"Video Device Tree":	[{
    			"Name":	"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970",
    			"VRAM (MB)":	4007,
    			"Monitors":	[{
    					"Name":	"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",
    					"Width":	1680,
    					"Height":	1050,
    					"Refresh Rate":	59
    				}]
    		}, {
    			"Name":	"Microsoft Basic Render Driver",
    			"VRAM (MB)":	0,
    			"Monitors":	[]
    		}],
    			"HMDNRFVersion":	"",
    			"TrackerNRFVersion":	""
    		}]
    }

The server log exceeded the character limit. I can try again after a reboot if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Please upload the server log as a file attachment (see Upload attachment below).

Also, looking at that log, it appears the DK2 is not even plugged into the computer. Can you double check that both USB and HDMI cables are plugged in? The HDMI should be to the dedicated video card, and you can try different USB ports if it isn't detected it right away.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • skyrexskyrex Posts: 2
    Looks like it's fixed. Sorry about that - I'm not used to working with desktops, and I was using the HDMI connection on my motherboard instead. I had the same error occur on my laptop, so I was worried it wouldn't work on my desktop at all. Thank you very much for the quick response.
  • Hi Cyberreality, I've tried to install the update multiple times, and I always get a pop up saying the platform update is already installed.

Am I right in thinking that there's no compatibility issue on the hardware side, though?
    @ArtistMW: It sounds more like a software/driver issue on your machine. Can you please send me the Minidumps and full MEMORY.DUMP files (which should be created if your PC blue-screens)?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Dear Cybereality,
    Sorry to reopen the laptop debate and sorry also for my very average english because I’m french (Paris says hello !).

On week ago, I asked the biggest computers shop in France (LDLC) if there was a laptop « Oculus ready ». They answered me that 8 high end laptops where able to run the oculus and advised me to choose the MSI GT72S 6QF-036FR Dominator Pro G. The price of this super notebook is 4.000$, around the same for the 7 others.
    The specifications: Intel Core i7-6820HK 32 Go SSD 512 Go (2x 256 Go) + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 8 Go.

I put all my trust in the seller who seems to know the subject and bought it last week (it’s someway crazy pricy but everybody understand the appeal of a laptop). Today, I don’t know if I missed something in the configuration/setup or if indeed, laptops are not oculus compatible: I tried 15 games and just 3 do work (The Oculus Configurations Utility Demo Scene, Titans of Space and the Oculus World Demo… but Tuscany doesn’t !). Most of the time, the oculus or the computer is crashing, screen going black or blue and motor screaming… Sometimes, it works fine for severals secondes and then crash…
    There is a page on this internet shop that says: « Geforce GTX VR Ready » with all these 8 laptops and a lot more desktop computers.

I also read a interesting (or confusing) tweet from Oculus that was retweeted by Nvidia: « The new GTX 980 notebook offers a great portable option for the Oculus #Rift. We’re excited to see high-performance notebooks powering #VR! ». I saw the picture of this retweet on the Virtual Reality Reporter site today but can’t find it on the Nvidia twitter (maybe still there, or take it back from Oculus twitter ?).

Cybereality, what is your view on all of this ? Do I throw my notebook thru the window ? Thanks for your time !
    Your computer is probably fine. These are the models with the desktop GTX 980 chips, and those should actually work. While QA has not tested enough to give an official recommendation, I have a good feeling those notebooks will work without problem.

What I would bet is that you are trying old, unsupported content. The SDK/Runtime changes almost monthly, and content built with older Runtimes (even from a month or two ago) could stop working. Once we release the consumer 1.0 software package, there will be long term support but that just wasn't practical for a development kit.

If you can run the Oculus demo scene app, and it shows up on the headset with tracking, you should be good to go. Please only try games from this list, that will work with 0.7 and 0.8 Runtimes.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25898
  • @cybereality: I've got the dump files, but the forum won't let me upload files with a .dmp extension, and attempting to upload a zip folder throws an error. Is there any other way I can get these to you?
    Yeah, you can put the files on a hosting service (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and send me a PM with a link.
  • @cybereality Sent the PM your way. Let me know if you find anything!
  • LAPTOP DEBATE - FINAL WORDS

Dear Cybereality,

Following your advice, I tried games from your « up to date » list and unfortunately, they did not worked with my MSI GT72S 6QFFR Dominator Pro G laptop.
    I called the computer shop and they asked me to call MSI. I received this answer from them after several days. I think this is a important statement:

« Dear Sir,
    Following our phone call, I’m sorry to inform you that the Oculus won’t work with our products because our laptops have mobile VGA which can’t stand Oculus functionality »

If you want the exact words, this is the mail I actually received in French:

"Bonjour,
    Suite à votre conversation téléphonique avec notre consultant je suis désolée de vous informer que le casque Oculus ne va pas marcher sur nos produits car nos ordinateurs portables sont équipés de VGA mobiles qui ne supportent pas le fonctionnement de Oculus.
    Vous pouvez trouver cette information ainsi que les solutions directement sur le site d'Oculus. Voici le lien direct:
    https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/art ... patibility
    Bien cordialement,
    Wioleta Adamska
    MSI France »

I guess that those are the final words on the laptop debate (at least for MSI computer): they don’t work with the Oculus, whatever the price and the graphic cards…
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    sorry but am new user and don't know where to post this. I just got a second hand oculus rift and seems I have a problem. I connected all as per manual to my alienware 15R2 and I get the orange light but the monitor is still black. The camera seems to have a blue led on and the configuration tool says my DK2 is ready but still black screen. Can someone help please ?
    I'm really sorry but laptops are not supported.
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    ouch just read now. So it means that since it is not switching on and have nothing on screen as if it is powered off it is not a problem of the oculus but a problem since my alienware with gtx 970m does not support right ?

I thought the guy that sold me this gave me a bad working oculus :(
  • LastBlowLastBlow Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited February 2016
    I am programming (and enjoying it!) for Oculus Rift for my master thesis project.

So, Oculus Rift won't run on a Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M?
    Will have to drag my desktop over to my presentation!

Please, make or recommend a laptop. :twisted:
    Yes, a desktop is recommended. Usually you can't install a desktop graphics card in a laptop (obviously) but a few high end models to allow external graphics card (aka graphics amplifier). In addition, there are desktop GTX 980 laptops (NOT 980M) and these may work.
  • GiggityGiggityGiggityGiggity Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    Hi,

I've had 0.8 working ok post windows 10 upgrade, but noticed that I was getting like a very slight judder which you could notice reading text in game. Tried the oculus demo and was getting the same effect. Restarted run time and seemed to help, but when going back into game (american truck simulator) it returned, and also in the demo scene. Anyway, thought I'd reinstall the runtime to check that was ok, and now I'm stuck with the 'no tracker attached. Have reinstalled per your instructions but no change. Previously there was a 2nd file in the programs list other than the runtime, which is no longer appearing post installation. Tried reinstalling with the headset plugged, and without. When uninstalling should the rift be plugged in or not? Thanks.
    Go to C:\Users\<your_user>\AppData\Local\Temp\Oculus Inc

And install the trcking driver (the 64-bit one) called OculusPTDriver_Win8.1_x64.msi.

Whatever you do, DO NOT install the Display Driver and it will stop your computer from booting (on Windows 10).
  • GiggityGiggityGiggityGiggity Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    That did the trick. Thanks.

Does having the dk2 plugged in/ unplugged make any difference when uninstalling?
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    Your computer is probably fine. These are the models with the desktop GTX 980 chips, and those should actually work. While QA has not tested enough to give an official recommendation, I have a good feeling those notebooks will work without problem.
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25898

Aha!!! So notebooks now seem to be suddenly compatible ???
    Now that's a major change from the official Oculus info.
    Maybe you'd better let them know, cybereality.
    No more of this "notebooks are not supported" ???
    Very interesting indeed. "Without problem" even.
    So mobile graphics chips are, more specifically, what aren't supported. Those laptops that have been talked about working are using desktop-class graphics chips. But, yeah, confusing.
  • clayton4115clayton4115 Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    i just went to pre-order, it told me expect delivery in July 2016, converted total cost including postage to Australian dollars and it came to $1,100! I think i will wait !
  • Cyber what abou an AMD A10 7850K APU with Kaveri 4,0GHZ

Is it compatible?
    Compatible, yes. Meaning the games should at least load up and function.

Whether you will get the full performance of an Intel chip is another story.
  • And Cyber what about?

Intel I5 4440
    With NVIDIA GTX 960? 8GB Memory
  • @cybereality Just wanted to check in to see if you found a cause for that blue screen issue or know where I might go to figure it out. Thanks.
  • Hi,

My problem will lean toward the “laptops are not supported” spectrum BUT my questions are much simpler than that and I implore you to just give me a chance.

My laptop MSI (with GTX 765M) works great with all of the Oculus Demo I’ve tried (I’m currently on runtime 0.6 but have tried the newer ones as well.) The Unreal Demos that I’ve tried (for instance the UE4 Rollercoaster –the reason I’m on 0.6- and the Paris Apartment) work great.

When I make my own builds and try the final .exe, I have a blank screen where only the sound can be heard and the Oculus is not working, nor recognized. (I’d like the -test in VR button- within the editor button to work, but I know that ship has sailed and that’s not what I want.)

I’m just wondering

1) Why do other people’s Unreal VR demo work on my laptop, but my own won’t, does it have to do with the compiling process?
    2) Is there any tidbit of magic that they did with their EXE that I’m forgetting? Even running the VR Showdown build doesn’t work. (works on the laptop, not the Oculus.)
    3) Theoretically, if I found someone else’s computer, compiled on theirs and brought it on mine, could it work?

And the reason why I don’t have a desktop is simple, you can’t really bring laptops in remote villages or slums in Thailand
  • So, i gonna buy the TRI-X R9 290 4G D5. I think this one will work right?
    Yes R9 290 is supported.
  • Is the Samsung Gear VR only supported under 0.7? I've got the 0.8 runtime installed to which the Oculus Config utility just throws me a "No HMD Detected" no matter what I do.

Profile log dump:
    {
    	"Time":	"2016-02-17_16:53:31",
    	"SDK Version":	"0.8.0.0",
    	"Local SDK Version":	"0.8.0.0",
    	"Service Running Time":	{
    		"Hours":	0,
    		"Minutes":	15,
    		"Seconds":	40
    	},
    	"Display Status":	{
    		"Display Mode":	2,
    		"Win10 Native":	{
    			"Capable":	0,
    			"ResultCode":	-3005,
    			"Status":	"DXGI 2 Preview requires Windows 10"
    		},
    		"IHVDirect":	{
    			"Status":	"Direct Display available"
    		},
    		"Legacy Direct":	{
    			"Status":	"OVRDirect available"
    		},
    		"Summary ResultCode":	0,
    		"Summary Status":	""
    	},
    	"System Specifications":	{
    		"Operating System":	"Microsoft Windows 7 Professional ",
    		"Processor":	"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz",
    		"Graphics Adapters":	&#91;{
    				"Name":	"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti",
    				"Video Controller RAM (MB)":	4095,
    				"Driver Version":	"10.18.13.6191",
    				"Video Mode":	"1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors"
    			}&#93;,
    		"Total RAM (GB)":	32,
    		"USB Tree":	&#91;{
    				"name":	"Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller",
    				"deviceid":	"PCI\\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_10413842&REV_31\\3&11583659&0&A0",
    				"caption":	"Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller",
    				"manufacturer":	"Intel(R) Corporation",
    				"Devices":	&#91;{
    						"manufacturer":	"Intel(R) Corporation",
    						"name":	"Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"C-MEDIA Inc.",
    						"name":	"USB Audio Device"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Razer Inc",
    						"name":	"Razer Naga Hex"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"name":	"Razer Naga Hex"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Logitech",
    						"name":	"Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Logitech",
    						"name":	"Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB (HID)"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Compatible USB storage device",
    						"name":	"USB Mass Storage Device"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"(Standard disk drives)",
    						"name":	"Generic External USB Device"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"name":	"Razer DeathStalker Chroma"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"name":	"HID-compliant mouse"
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Compatible USB storage device",
    						"name":	"USB Mass Storage Device"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"JMicron Generic DISK00 USB Device"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"JMicron Generic DISK01 USB Device"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"JMicron Generic DISK02 USB Device"
    					}, {
    						"name":	"JMicron Generic DISK03 USB Device"
    					}, {
    						"manufacturer":	"Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.",
    						"name":	"Galaxy S6 edge"
    					}&#93;
    			}&#93;
    	},
    	"Drivers":	&#91;{
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplay64.dll",
    			"Version":	"1.2.8.0"
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplayRT64.dll",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\syswow64\\OVRDisplay32.dll",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\syswow64\\OVRDisplayRT32.dll",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\drivers\\RiftEnabler.sys",
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplay32.dll",
    			"Version":	"C:\\Windows\\system32\\OVRDisplay32.dll not found"
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\OVRDisplayRT32.dll",
    			"Version":	"C:\\Windows\\system32\\OVRDisplayRT32.dll not found"
    		}, {
    			"Path":	"\\system32\\drivers\\OCUSBVID.sys",
    			"Version":	"C:\\Windows\\system32\\drivers\\OCUSBVID.sys not found"
    		}&#93;,
    	"Video Device Tree":	&#91;{
    			"Name":	"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti",
    			"VRAM (MB)":	6047,
    			"Monitors":	&#91;{
    					"Name":	"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1",
    					"Width":	1920,
    					"Height":	1080,
    					"Refresh Rate":	60
    				}&#93;
    		}&#93;,
    	"Devices":	&#91;{
    			"HMDNRFVersion":	"",
    			"TrackerNRFVersion":	""
    		}&#93;
    }

Edit: Related perhaps to the missing OCU/OVR DLL's?