New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CV1 specs

ennogsennogs Posts: 230
Art3mis
edited February 2016 in General
When will we be told the specs of CV1?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    No one can be told what the specs are for CV1. You'll have to see it for yourself.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    edited February 2016

That is only speculation at the moment. Until oculus themselves state the specs we don't truly know what the specs of CV1 are.
  • JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 514
    Neo
    Then watch this video interview with Oculus peeps. Specs are discussed:

No one can be told what the specs are for CV1. You'll have to see it for yourself.

red pill plz
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute

What?!? :lol:
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,226 Volunteer Moderator
    VizionVR wrote:

What?!? :lol:
    Maybe all the specs are irrational numbers???
    :)
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 976
    Art3mis
    Okay Morpheus, I'm ready for my red pill. But, I cannot touch the mirror without a Touch Dev Kit. Any news on when developers (like me) can get their hands on that gear?
  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    You can always watch my youtube videos in begin of April :lol:
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • dzuckerdzucker Posts: 104

Ah come on, I'm sure you can give us some ballpark figures. ;)
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    Not revealing the specs just reinforces the consumers justifiability to return the product after using it, if it didn't impress.
  • JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 514
    Neo
    agenttoff wrote:
    Not revealing the specs just reinforces the consumers justifiability to return the product after using it, if it didn't impress.

Read this thread for specs. The specs have been discussed at public shows, posted on third party sites, and also posted on the official site.

What other specs are you looking for besides the technical specs and hardware requirements?
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 304
    Nexus 6
    He wants the PCB drawing, schematic, BOM, firmware and runtime source code, mechanical drawing, etc, etc! :lol:
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
    Trinity
    agenttoff wrote:

Read this thread for specs. The specs have been discussed at public shows, posted on third party sites, and also posted on the official site.

What other specs are you looking for besides the technical specs and hardware requirements?

Personally, I don't care, I have all the information I need. I'm commenting on the number of posts and discussions on the lack of "specs." I'm not sure what specs others are interested in.
    KNP54 wrote:
    He wants the PCB drawing, schematic, BOM, firmware and runtime source code, mechanical drawing, etc, etc! :lol:

I wouldn't say no to the CAD files.
    One spec we don't know yet is the required resolution to achieve 1:1 texel to pixel scale in the centre of vision. This has a big effect on performance.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • Emvy-Emvy- Posts: 125
    Hiro Protagonist
    they cannot tell us what specs it has as Clearly the rift came through a portal from the near future, and in our timeline this tech doesn't exist yet.

Now I can see what palmer meant with getting a bang for bucks!
    velma01 wrote:
    Clearly the rift came through a portal from the near future
    You could say it came through a rift in time.
    http://www.badum-tish.com
  • I can understand Oculus' reluctance. It makes great marketing copy to avoid specs, and emphasise the experience. It also helps avoid idiot math - when folk compare numbers with no understanding of the context. There's also the minor coincidence of their competitor managing to jump on some fairly similar screen specs already ;). Why bandy about with hard numbers and give up competitive details?

The numbers will be outed as soon as hardware ships, and someone does a few measurements in a robust, equitable and repeatable manner - and write decent objective reviews.

I'm waiting until July, so I can just sit back and relax for those :P.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,102
    3Jane
    PadraicB wrote:
    I can understand Oculus' reluctance.
    Reluctance for what? Nobody in this thread has yet to explain which specs they want that aren't being given. Oculus has been pretty open about the specifications of the device and even how it was designed and built and why they made those decisions.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    I didn't think there where any specs left unturned, what are we missing?

I will say raw number specs don't always give a full picture, ie many saying the Rift and VIve have the same resolution, this may be true but resolution doesn't account for quality.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    Trinity
    PadraicB wrote:
    I can understand Oculus' reluctance.
    Reluctance for what? Nobody in this thread has yet to explain which specs they want that aren't being given. Oculus has been pretty open about the specifications of the device and even how it was designed and built and why they made those decisions.

But how many jigahertz is it??? :o
  • KBKKBK Posts: 983
    Art3mis
    Trying to find place to pout this so a few people might see it, so I decided here might be fine.

Sony Xperia Z5 phone: 5.5" display, 4k resolution. That's 801 pixels per inch. So, the ability to 'physically' go to near 2k per eye, and have the eye adjustment (two sperate screens)..is basically here. However, it is complexity and weight issue. And contrast. And speed. OK, well, that's why you are seeing a custom OLED with the CV1. speed (Hz) and persistence, etc, those two are the critical factors and any standard form of an LCD panel is simply not going to cut it in those areas. The OLED is most like the DLP chip, which is favored (in older HMD's) for those sort of reasons. My point is that OLED can go to a finer pixel matrix than an LCD. And we see Sony hitting 801 pixels per inch with LCD technology. Ouch.

Regardless of the OLED vs LCD issue...I suspect we'll be seeing 2k (OLED) per eye by CV2. I suspect that it will be sooner rather than later.

This race is heating up fast, now that launch times are closing in...and initial market share in an emergent market is to be established. Such establishment of market share leads to a stronger fundamental position in follow up products, so this is critical.
    Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
    Nobody in this thread has yet to explain which specs they want that aren't being given.
    If the spec I mentioned above has already been given, could you point out where it is specified? I haven't seen it mentioned anwhere. The scaling factor to achieve 1:1 render target texel to panel pixel ratio in the centre of vision is a very important stat. Without it we can't tell what resolution the oculus sdk will be recommending to software. The cv1 panels are 1080x1200 each, but that's not what we render.