cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone who compares the failure of 3D tvs to Oculus Rift

Trytiped
Adventurer
I consistently see people comparing the failure of 3D tvs to the Oculus and I cant understand why?
You know why 3D tvs failed? Because everyone ALREADY had a tv! Who in their right mind would spend a couple thousand dollars plus glasses just for a tv they already HAVE!? You know why the Oculus has so much potential is because
1. Absolutely new technology
2. Adds entirely new depth to entertainment
3. Opportunities to be used for medical and business purposes
4. You don't already have one at your house!
47 REPLIES 47

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
By far the most convincing 3D I've ever seen was at an IMAX seminar some years ago where they played some CGI 3D shorts rendered at IMAX resolution. The screen was big enough to almost completely fill the field of view, there were very few jaggies, and the CGI had some very deep compositions that emphasized the 3D effects.

I remember that! It was like 2007 or something. I was like holy crap this is the future, I heard they were using special film to take up the whole Imax screen. I remember thinking at the time if they will ever have an HMD that could replicate what I am seeing now; that being the only way since you will never get a screen anywhere close to that size in your home. Than I was no I will be long dead before that happens, but the way things are turning out I might actually be alive to see that.

What is funny to I saw the second Hobbit like 5 years later in that same theater. A movie boasting about 3d and being innovative. It was not using the whole screen, just wide screen mode, it made it darker, I could not even really see a 3d effect at all. Bravo way to push this medium forward.

Saffron
Explorer
"crim3" wrote:
Paradoxically, the screen is not even specifically 3D because it isn't doing any fancy trick to display passive or active 3d video output.

Both HMDs and 3D TVs uses fancy tricks to get the user to experiment a false 3D sensation, that's why both of them have problems. 3D TVs has to share the same screen space for each eye while HMDs have it separated and use lenses, and both need a custom rendering process. But in the end of the day there's no real 3D screens (maybe curved tvs? :lol: ), only screens that are able to simulate 3D.

PadraicB
Explorer
"Saffron" wrote:
"crim3" wrote:
Paradoxically, the screen is not even specifically 3D because it isn't doing any fancy trick to display passive or active 3d video output.

Both HMDs and 3D TVs uses fancy tricks to get the user to experiment a false 3D sensation, that's why both of them have problems. 3D TVs has to share the same screen space for each eye while HMDs have it separated and use lenses, and both need a custom rendering process. But in the end of the day there's no real 3D screens (maybe curved tvs? :lol: ), only screens that are able to simulate 3D.

I'm wary of calling what HMDs do "tricks". They effectively replicate exactly what your brain expects - two separate screens with images that are slightly offset. 3DTVs accomplish something similar, but it's far more complex requiring special passive or active eyewear that have a resulting loss of brightness (since light is divided from a single screen). Where TVs will likely never escape the need for manipulation of the eyes, HMDs just show two images. It's elegant, it's simple, and it works.

We just need some major strides in GPUs to up the resolution per eye ;). VR HMDs will, short of convincing holograms, rule the 3D viewing world of the future.

Saffron
Explorer
HMDs don't "just show" two images, they need to be adapted and use lenses because they still use flat panels, so you're losing pixel precision in certain angles. And there's lots of other problems like screen door effect, screen resolution is halved, discomfort caused for trying to fool your brain to look at a screen that is in front of your eyes, etc... Current VR tech is still a long way to go.

Currently, VR does a lot more tricks than 3D TVs in order to fool your brain. And they need to, because they are looking for total immersion.

crim3
Expert Protege
They use lenses because the panel is a few cm from your eyes.

Saffron
Explorer
"crim3" wrote:
They use lenses because the panel is a few cm from your eyes.

yup, that's one of the problems I listed.

crim3
Expert Protege
"Saffron" wrote:
and use lenses because they still use flat panels
I mean, they use lenses because the panels are a few cm from your eyes, not because they are flat.

god_alom
Adventurer
It's too early to say if Oculus will be failure, we will see once the consumer product releases.