cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
"blazespinnaker2" wrote:
I also get the error "VR headset detected but no monitors found.

make sure your monitors are plugged into the same GPU as the Rift.
"ZaneA" wrote:
I have noticed that Virtual Desktop isn't working well if your primary monitor is rotated (e.g. 90 degree vertical setups), I don't usually run this way but have been recently and Virtual Desktop either warps the screen in a strange way (when the Curved option is enabled), or draws with the incorrect rotation (also cutting off a portion of the screen).

Known issue. It's on my list of things to fix 🙂 As for the ability to rotate environments, also on my list but it will probably be added later on.
"XanderLunix" wrote:
No matter what I do, I cannot get Virtual Desktop to install - I am running Windows 10 Pro N, and I have tried downloading the Media Feature pack at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3099229, which I am not convinced installed correctly, and when I try and install Virtual Desktop I get the following:

"Module C:|Program Files\Virtual Desktop\VirtualDesktop.Engine.Media64.dll failed to register. HRESULT-2147024770."

Any idea how I can proceed?

Try to install the Media feature pack from this link. In any case, you will be able to use 1.0 even if the dll fails to register. though you wont be able to play 360 videos.

"cliffcrawford" wrote:
Hello, I haven't read through the entire thread but I did try some searches about this and nothing came up. I have the Rift saver turned on in the Oculus Configuration utility and set for 10 minutes. But running Virtual Desktop seems to interfere with it, my Rift's screen just stays on. I'm worried about screen burn-in when I've got my headset off, so anyone know what to do? Is this expected behavior? I'm using SDK 0.8 on Windows 10 btw.

I guess the other option is to quit Virtual Desktop every time I take off the headset, and start it back up again before putting it back on, but that's not too convenient obviously.

You can just turn off the Rift (with the power button on the headset)?
"HalloweenJack" wrote:
when I go on only a quarter of the black panel is show (my res is 2560 x 1440) and the mouse pointer in the vr looks alot higher then it really is.

What GPU are you using and what driver version? Its the first time I hear about something like this. Are you running the latest version (0.9.40)?

cliffcrawford
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
You can just turn off the Rift (with the power button on the headset)?

Yep, that's what I ended up doing....why can't I think of the simpler solution before posting 😉

djbass101
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
Since 0.7 I can only capture from monitors connected to the same GPU as the Rift. It's a limitation on Oculus' side.

Is this something that you are thinking of fixing; Do you offer the older versions of your software to download that works with .6 Runtime. Really missing my multiple monitors on this.

It is such a great app; I would defiantly purchase if it became no longer free! It has revolutionized my work environment.

666goodboy
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
Known issue. It's on my list of things to fix 🙂 As for the ability to rotate environments, also on my list but it will probably be added later on.

Thanks for the reply 🙂 Had a quick search but didn't find anything related so thought I'd mention. Cheers!

Wizardkingz
Explorer
Hello,

I had wrote earlier about OSVR support and it was replied when OpenVR launches and I would like to know if there is a projected date for its launch. Thank you for your time, response, and hard work

guygodin
Protege
"Wizardkingz" wrote:
Hello,

I had wrote earlier about OSVR support and it was replied when OpenVR launches and I would like to know if there is a projected date for its launch. Thank you for your time, response, and hard work

When the consumer versions of the Rift and Vive ship (end of March, early April)

rbridgewater
Honored Guest
Question about what might be possible for the future: Could you run this program off of the integrated GPU, so as to cause minimum performance impact on the discrete GPU?

gandime
Honored Guest
Would it possible to disable the the Head Tracking within Virtual Desktop? I'm trying to use the Head Tracking in another app that does not support 3D and use Virtual Desktop in the default position for the 3D effects.

My current idea is to disable it via the SDK, but this is not really what I want. Is there any other way to get something like that?

yukihanyu
Honored Guest
Downloaded, tried it, and works perfect!!!..... except for one - for video, there are 360(spherical) option and 180(dome) option, but it would be nice to have 120 or 90 degree options (or adjustable options to be ideal) for "traditional" side-by-side 3D videos!

Or is this already implemented somehow, as I'm sure someone have thought of this before me.

Relys
Honored Guest
Ummm, does anyone have an older version of VRDesktop that supports the 6.0.1 runtime? I'd upgrade to 0.7/0.8 if I could, but my GPU won't work with it. 😕 The older version of VRDesktop that I had installed worked perfectly! I need to go back. 😕