cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

MasterElwood
Protege
"smilertoo" wrote:
I hope not, the day they lock it to a facebook account is the day i sell it and move to another platform.

THIS! I love OCULUS to the death - but FriendFace is a NO-GO!

JohSm67
Rising Star
"Steffen" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
You don't need to buy anything extra for the Remote to work.

Okay thanks. Then I surpose it works with the xBox controller wireless USB stick

You just need one additional USB3 port for that kit!

The information you need is found on this page ;

https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us
JohSm

NjayNL
Protege
Ship it already 😛 just upgraded to a GTX980Ti 🙂 so im all ready

aluniras
Honored Guest
Sorry for being repetitive, I guess lots of people asked this before...
WHEN can countries that are not in 20 lucky ... list pre-order or order cv1? checking media each day and still 0 news on this and hype is dying, + vive pre-orders are coming closer (few days left), I guess they wont make same mistake as oculus and let all countries pre-order it, not only 'lucky' ones :evil:

PyroSteel
Protege
"aluniras" wrote:
I guess they wont make same mistake as oculus and let all countries pre-order it, not only 'lucky' ones :evil:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Vive ships to only 2 more countries than the Rift...

Vive is shipping to...
Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China,Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UK, US.

Oculus is shipping to...
Austria (available as of February 2016), Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (available as of February 2016), Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States

So unless you are in the Czech Republic or China, there is no difference.
But Oh, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.

JohSm67
Rising Star
Are there any performance comparsion on general CPU load generated using different tracking techs on Rift & Vive?

/J
JohSm

littletron
Explorer
"aluniras" wrote:
Sorry for being repetitive, I guess lots of people asked this before...
WHEN can countries that are not in 20 lucky ... list pre-order or order cv1? checking media each day and still 0 news on this and hype is dying, + vive pre-orders are coming closer (few days left), I guess they wont make same mistake as oculus and let all countries pre-order it, not only 'lucky' ones :evil:

send someone the cash for them to order it for you 🙂

AndreFritz
Honored Guest
hi community,

since i have no idea how to open a new post, i can only reply to this one - even if my toppic does not fit here.

a friend gave me the oculus package. he told me only sdk1 would be running on it because its hardware from a few years back. i spent all day installing and deinstalling all of the software-versions of this website. nothing seems to work.

i get a signal in the oculus when using runtime sdk 0.6.0.1. - but the configuration-tool says the oculus is not connected (but it is). another configuration-tool wants an extra device (which is not part of the package i have here - i guess this one is for SDK 2).

it would be great if some one could tell me what combination of runtime-engine and utility-tool of the download-section might work together. i am pretty lost here. thank you very much for any response. i work on windows 7.

regards

andré

Syrellaris
Rising Star
"AndreFritz" wrote:
hi community,

since i have no idea how to open a new post, i can only reply to this one - even if my toppic does not fit here.

a friend gave me the oculus package. he told me only sdk1 would be running on it because its hardware from a few years back. i spent all day installing and deinstalling all of the software-versions of this website. nothing seems to work.

i get a signal in the oculus when using runtime sdk 0.6.0.1. - but the configuration-tool says the oculus is not connected (but it is). another configuration-tool wants an extra device (which is not part of the package i have here - i guess this one is for SDK 2).

it would be great if some one could tell me what combination of runtime-engine and utility-tool of the download-section might work together. i am pretty lost here. thank you very much for any response. i work on windows 7.

regards

andré

There should be a button in the top left that says "new topic". Click that to create a new topic. It is possible though, you need a small amount of replies on other topics before you can make one.

torkeldanielsso
Honored Guest
Yepp - you need to post at least once in a sensible manner to be able to post new topics to the forum, from what I understand. Such as this post from me... 🙂