cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outerra Tech Demo - The whole planet Earth

camenix
Honored Guest
Outerra Tech Demo (the free version), as well as the full version of our alpha sandbox game (Anteworld) now come with Oculus Rift support.

Outerra is a 3D planetary engine in development, capable of seamless planet rendering from space down to the surface. It uses real elevation data of Earth, refining it to centimeter resolution using fractal algorithms. It offers unlimited visibility, progressive download of data and procedural content generation. For more info see the features and the Outerra forums.

Download the latest version here: demo.outerra.com

In case of problems please see the instructions for graphics driver issues, startup problems.

The demo can be upgraded to the full version in-game, after you verify it's working alright and want to support the development. The engine is still alpha, meaning there's lots of stuff still being worked on - more biomes, 3D trees etc.

To use with Oculus Rift:

• check "use if present" in graphics/stereoscopic settings in the main menu

• select a higher resolution if possible to help with the aliasing

• by default the stereoscopic mode uses a reduced quality grass, you can uncheck it in the stereoscopic settings if your graphics card is powerful enough

• restart

• you should have the magnetometer calibrated using the OculusConfigUtil to to avoid drift. To reset the orientation, press the semicolon key

• you can use alt+semicolon to toggle between the stereo and mono modes

Happy roaming the planet!
Outerra
120 REPLIES 120

nvstewart
Explorer
"sammaz" wrote:
Best sandbox for fun times with Rift.

I got the full version and downloaded a bunch of cars\vehicles...

Best 1st person vehicles are :

jeep wrangler, 2013 viper, flying boat, mig 29, hot air baloon, 🙂 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also you have to get the full earth dataset so you can fly over you hometown 🙂

I have had this tech demo when it was first release, have only used it a bunch of times.

What is the "full earth dataset"? Is it like a google maps that texture the planet with actual photographic scenery?

michaelgood
Honored Guest
The full Earth dataset is available as a torrent from here - http://outerraworld.com/appdata/Anteworld/earth.torrent

This URL is listed on the Outerra forums here - http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=645.30

From what I understand, Outerra will download the data as you roam around, but you can download the entire dataset if you want to have no lag from downloads, ever.

MrGeddings
Explorer
sadly i hate to say it but Outerra looks TERRIBLE on the rift as it is now. its not the fault of the game devs it is just the fault of the screen, if your one of those people who thinks the screen isnt really that bad, to not kid yourself, actually try out Outerra with the Rift...because most of the detail is far away you lose a huge amount of quality, look at the view through your rift then look at the view on the screen and you will see the HUGE amount of detail that is lost due to the very low resolution of the screen. I dare say that Outerra with the Rift is the prime reason why Oculus needs to launch a 2nd dev kit with a higher res screen by the end of the year.

Honestly the screen is so bad in some cases it really frustrates me a bit that the whole HD RIft was nothing more then a prototype and it would have been if they went ahead (or waited till they could) and made it the 2nd dev kit and annouced it would be up for pre-order soon.

(however then agian this could be their plan..they cannot offically say that right now until they get ducks in the row but given the previous slide of the dev kit 2.0 and the mention in the edge article this could very well be a prototype for the 2nd dev kit and once they get production of it figured out then they may annouce that it will be available for preorder )

That would be the smart thing to do. and i hope they are actually planning to follow that Timeline because we NEED number one a higher res screen, that is the TOP priority for the Rift (well that besides games/program support but thats up to the devs not Oculus) The rift MUST have a better screen and honestly a better screen for a newer dev kit BEFORE the consumer version i think is also a must as well.

Shockbolt
Explorer
*neutral*

Everything that isn't close up in your face inside the Rift is terrible today, it's(the Rift) usable as a tool for testing purposes and to have fun with, but gently forget about serious gaming using the Rift. The screen is the cause, not the softwares and games.

FPS games is a firm no(I personally lasted for 4-5 minutes in Half life 2 before the motion sickness got me), flight sims are ok(spent 2 days in War Thunder this weekend, gradually overcoming the motion sickness, still feeling it in 360 degrees fast turns), but again you are really just having fun without much visibility.

But, once a high res Rift is released...we're in for some serious fun.

mrgreen72
Superstar
After installing the latest version:

Error on startup: Cannot find suitable display mode for resolution 0x0 (60Hz)

😞

camenix
Honored Guest
"mrgreen72" wrote:
After installing the latest version:
Error on startup: Cannot find suitable display mode for resolution 0x0 (60Hz)

Could you please PM me your eng.log file (in your Windows home directory\outerra\eng.log, unless you changed the data path)?
Outerra

Shockbolt
Explorer
*neutral*

I can't get this one to work on my stationary pc. I removed the graphics driver using Driver Fusion, clean reinstall using the latest AMD/Catalyst driver but I get the same result as before:

When I start Outerra/Anteworld, a blank/white new window opens up in win 7, with the title Anteworld ontop, it does nothing but load forever.

Cpbiggs
Honored Guest
"MrGeddings" wrote:
sadly i hate to say it but Outerra looks TERRIBLE on the rift as it is now.

Tried the demo and I have to say that I dont agree. I was blown away. Nothing on the rift looking that great right now considering the low res screen. I'm tempted to spend the 15 bucks at this point. Totally blown away when I went straight up into space. Seeing the curvature of the planet after I had just been driving a truck through the woods left my jaw dropped.

mouja
Explorer
"Cpbiggs" wrote:
"MrGeddings" wrote:
sadly i hate to say it but Outerra looks TERRIBLE on the rift as it is now.

Tried the demo and I have to say that I dont agree. I was blown away. Nothing on the rift looking that great right now considering the low res screen. I'm tempted to spend the 15 bucks at this point. Totally blown away when I went straight up into space. Seeing the curvature of the planet after I had just been driving a truck through the woods left my jaw dropped.

They worth it. Brushing past the mountains in the mig-29, looking at the landscape passing before your eyes from the cockpit is a great experience.

mrgreen72
Superstar
The only thing missing is the ability to launch on a specific display.

My Rift is an extended display.

Running Windows in cloned mode adds latency to the Rift and should be avoided. Besides, I wanna be able to run my desktop@2560x1440 which isn't possible in cloned mode with the Rift.