New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can VR make you rethink toilet paper or eating meat?

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
edited July 2013 in General
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,813 Valuable Player
    Always cringe a little when the TV news research team turn up and want to "film a piece" for a feature story - happy that this was a little more balanced than the traditional, but PBS have a slightly hire rep than the rest.

This underlines the fact that VR is now mainstream again - these are exactly the same style of news story we saw the last time VR was 'big'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rVn3H93Ysag&list=PLyCd3L0-Nx3RY9w8dY5emq5RAjDDhBnsl

Just wish we could get away from the "...VR video gaming..." comment.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Quite amazing.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Personally, I find that the VR sensations produced by the Rift do make me less willing to play violent-type games like Half Life 2. On a 2D screen, the Combine can just seem like generic 'boogie men' who have no real humanity, but when I see them in 3D, I find it much harder to simply accept that they are 'evil' and that somehow the only way to solve this whole Breen/alien takeover thing is to shoot hordes of people and blow up lots of stuff.

I don't have any trouble with a game like TF2, though, since it's clearly not meant to represent reality and the players are all willingly participating.. and it's clearly not meant to represent reality :P It's like chess, the players don't really think they're killing kings and queens and bishops and knights..

It is strange to me though, somehow when I played HL2 before, I didn't even think of the Combine as people, but now that I play it, it's obvious they are.. they speak English, albeit through those inexplicably-employed voice-altering devices, and one of them even makes you play a game of fetch and toss, and I just can't see an unfeeling robot as making someone do that..

Overall, I realize now that HL2 really doesn't explain much of anything. Maybe I'm digging too deeply into a 'simple first person shooter' but so it goes with me and the Rift :D

But, really, I've been bored with first person shooters like HL2 for a while (see also Bioshock, even Fallout 3, which is so bizarre that it may as well be another universe, even Skyrim, with its life-like actors.. why is the only way to deal with the bandits to invade their cave and kill them? I can't think of a good reason.).

Presenting these would-be enemies in 3D does change things for me somehow..
  • GanjaroachGanjaroach Posts: 449
    Hiro Protagonist
    Playing video games has never made me more violent in real life.. If anything it helps keep me from being that way. I can't even bring my self to kill stray cats... :lol: I wish people would take responsibility for their kids and their self and quit blaming TV, Games, VR and so on for their problems. Showing a kid how it feels to be a cow so they don't eat meat Or cutting down a tree so you save paper doesn't seem like it would be very effective. Once a kid sees how cool it is to use a chain saw he might end up trying it for real (Seriously hurting his self) according to this guy since violent video games make you more violent right? :lol: Whats next a DEMO of being a six pack holder and strangling a bird so you start to cut them up before throwing them away? :mrgreen:
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    Ganjaroach wrote:
    I can't even bring my self to kill stray cats... :lol:

That way you phrased this is a little disturbing. Are you implying that killing stray cats is normal and that you are less violent because you can't bring yourself to do it?

I found a nest of field mice under something I'd left in the yard for a couple of months and felt somewhat guilty about disturbing them even though they are considered pests. KIlling them would be considered acceptable by most Americans I think, but if it had been kittens I would be considered a monster.

To cut to the chase, killing stray cats is considered a sign of mental problems and isn't normal. (Not because they are really any different than rats, philosophically speaking, but because of your failure to appreciate how other people are going to view your actions, i.e., your lack of empathy).
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • MadarasMadaras Posts: 572
    Nexus 6
    Interesting. I don't think I'll stop using toilet paper or eating cows or chickens. Though admittedly I do feel sad when I think about the fate of such creatures being raised to be slaughtered in such terrible conditions like they are due to the mass market. Hence why I raise my own cows and chickens.
    Nexus 6
    jwilkins wrote:
    Ganjaroach wrote:

That way you phrased this is a little disturbing. Are you implying that killing stray cats is normal and that you are less violent because you can't bring yourself to do it?

I found a nest of field mice under something I'd left in the yard for a couple of months and felt somewhat guilty about disturbing them even though they are considered pests. Killing them would be considered acceptable by most Americans I think, but if it had been kittens I would be considered a monster.

To cut to the chase, killing stray cats is considered a sign of mental problems and isn't normal. (Not because they are really any different than rats, philosophically speaking, but because of your failure to appreciate how other people are going to view your actions, i.e., your lack of empathy).

I think what's interesting here is the statement that he's tried to kill a stray cat.
    Art3mis
    Madaras wrote:
    I think what's interesting here is the statement that he's tried to kill a stray cat.

He didn't say that.
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
    Nexus 6
    jwilkins wrote:
    Madaras wrote:

He didn't say that.
    Ganjaroach wrote:

Well you could interpret it that way. Though to me when someone states they can't bring themselves to kill a stray cat that means they've attempted and failed. It could be taken either way, but that's my take.

Now I've killed a stray cat before, it was a sad event and it was making the most saddening sound. It had been badly tangled in a barbed wire fence unable to move. I couldn't get it out without causing it severe pain and potentially killing it. So I shot it. I'm a cat lover and it wasn't easy, but I'd do it again. I'm also one who wouldn't kill a field mouse without good reason, they're too darn cute. That's another thing to note, we don't like to kill cute things, but something ugly or gross we're all too keen to kill, myself included roaches EWWW. Something to think about.
    Art3mis
    Madaras wrote:
    Now I've killed a stray cat before, it was a sad event and it was making the most saddening sound. It had been badly tangled in a barbed wire fence unable to move. I couldn't get it out without causing it severe pain and potentially killing it. So I shot it.

I think this is considered socially acceptable. It was the lack of context for the statement "I can't even bring myself to kill a stray cat" and the fact that people could take it the way you took it that I found slightly disturbing. I was hoping he would clarify. I don't think you should assume it was anything except a poorly phrased forum post before he clarifies what he meant.

Bringing things back to VR. This reminds me of how one writer (forget who) speculated that in the future how you treat artificially intelligent robots will be seen as an indicator of your mental health the same way we have reservations about those who abuse animals (and even animals which are "OK" to kill, like rats and snakes, should be not killed inhumanely, like setting them on fire. I think people are justifiably creeped out by that). In virtual reality we have a chance to reevaluate how we treat human characters in video games. That feeling of being in an NPC's personal space and that those characters are somehow more real may translate into a social norm that people who play violent videogames like a hypothetical Grand Theft Auto VR and do depraved things shouldn't be trusted. This attitude might even leak back into games played on a 2D screen, cause it would be kind of weird to make a distinction between the two, but who knows.
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻