cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vive weight 555g. Rift weight 470g

VizionVR
Rising Star
Edit: According to this, Rift CV1 weighs 470g. Thanks to Kojack for providing link.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... vs/d0f4vzn

According to this post, Vive weight is 555 g without wires
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/ ... e_hmd_on_a

DK2 is 440 g without wires

So now can Oculus PLEASE post the weight of the CV Rift? It's only fair considering we already ordered them.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
69 REPLIES 69

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Karmeck" wrote:
It might just be so that they don't know. And if they just guess you will be pist and call them liars if the numbers turn up wrong then you have rift in hand.

Oculus knows the weight of their own Rift. Just like they know what the optimal FOV is, and if 360 room scale is possible, and the allowable tracking distance of their cameras, and about two dozen other things we need to know in order to make an accurate purchase decision.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"vizionvr" wrote:
"Karmeck" wrote:
It might just be so that they don't know. And if they just guess you will be pist and call them liars if the numbers turn up wrong then you have rift in hand.

Oculus knows the weight of their own Rift. Just like they know what the optimal FOV is, and if 360 room scale is possible, and the allowable tracking distance of their cameras, and about two dozen other things we need to know in order to make an accurate purchase decision.

^This^

The thing is finalised. has been for several months. All the details are there, it's just that Oculus are choosing not to release them, for whatever reason. The paranoid side of me is starting to wonder just why they're not telling us anything.

VizionVR
Rising Star
All those other things aside. All I want to know is, how much does the item I pre-ordered weigh (without wires attached)?

How about this then? If Oculus refuses to tell us details like weight ( :roll: ) and we're not happy with our purchase, does the Rift come with a satisfaction money back guarantee?

Goobers
Adventurer
"LKostyra" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:
So now can Oculus PLEASE post the weight of the CV Rift? It's only fair considering we already ordered them.

Nope, they probably cannot. NDA, confidentiality and other formal businessy stuff.
What NDA? That only applies to people that do reviews and testing, not Oculus themselves.

In any case, the OP stated that the DK2 was 440g without wires... and people that have tested the CV1 (at demos at events) claim that its lighter.

Doesn't that already translate into lighter than the Vive?

How specific do want?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"vizionvr" wrote:
All those other things aside. All I want to know is, how much does the item I pre-ordered weigh (without wires attached)?

How about this then? If Oculus refuses to tell us details like weight ( :roll: ) and we're not happy with our purchase, does the Rift come with a satisfaction money back guarantee?

I think this has been discussed in another thread (yet another example of information being next to impossible to find), but I can't remember the details. AFAIK, In the UK at least, anything you buy sight unseen is covered by the distance selling regulations. You have the right to return it if you don't like it.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Goobers" wrote:
"LKostyra" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

Nope, they probably cannot. NDA, confidentiality and other formal businessy stuff.
What NDA? That only applies to people that do reviews and testing, not Oculus themselves.

In any case, the OP stated that the DK2 was 440g without wires... and people that have tested the CV1 (at demos at events) claim that its lighter.

How specific do want?

Knowing the actual weight would be nice. Is it 20 grams lighter? 100? In my entire life I've never purchased something and not known something as ridiculously simple as the weight of the item.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Goobers" wrote:
"LKostyra" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

How specific do want?

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the weight. It's less actual weight of the CV1 and more how that weight is distributed that'll have most effect on how comfortable the thing is.

What I don't understand if why Oculus are being so quiet about everything. This thing is allegedly shipping in a months time. Bit late to change the specs or for anyone else to copy any secret weapon that the Rift may have to gain an advantage, so why not be more forthcoming?

VizionVR
Rising Star
"notsram" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

I think this has been discussed in another thread (yet another example of information being next to impossible to find), but I can't remember the details. AFAIK, In the UK at least, anything you buy sight unseen is covered by the distance selling regulations. You have the right to return it if you don't like it.

Unfortunately I'm in the U.S. where corporations can and will sway consumer protection rights. But let's not get into that discussion, please.

Goobers
Adventurer
"vizionvr" wrote:
Knowing the actual weight would be nice. Is it 20 grams lighter? 100? In my entire life I've never purchased something and not known something as ridiculously simple as the weight of the item.
okay

"notsram" wrote:
Personally, I'm not that bothered about the weight. It's less actual weight of the CV1 and more how that weight is distributed that'll have most effect on how comfortable the thing is.

What I don't understand if why Oculus are being so quiet about everything. This thing is allegedly shipping in a months time. Bit late to change the specs or for anyone else to copy any secret weapon that the Rift may have to gain an advantage, so why not be more forthcoming?
I also don't understand the silence... but then again, I don't care much either.

I've already gathered from the various youtube demos and whatever that the Rift is comfortable and lightweight. Some say stuff about the head strap helping hold it in place easily enough... etc.

VizionVR
Rising Star
I was pretty disappointed this morning when I learned the weight of the Vive. 555 g is a considerable weight. Having read countless articles about how "light" the Vive "feels", knowing the actual weight really put things into perspective.

I'm also reading countless articles about how "light" the Rift "feels", and it would be beneficial to have some perspective on that as well.