cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leap Motion looking impressive.

Lemming1970
Rising Star
Rather new to the vr scene and it's possibilities. Been following the members of VR spies for some time and getting an impression of the rift from them.

stumbled across this the other day, think it looks amazing. Early days but wow..

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
41 REPLIES 41

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yeah, it works really well now. One of my co-workers came in to try it out (I had a DK2 with Leap running in a classroom) and ended up playing with the blocks for at least 15min. I think he wouldn't have left if he didn't have work to get back to. 🙂

It did still have a little trouble (at one point it thought the DK2 cable plugged into my laptop was an arm. It did track it well though!), but it's very usable.
The palm user interface bit was quite good too. It was very easy/natural to press the buttons in the air, possibly because making the buttons on the same plane as our left palm meant we have an immediate sense of distance (using proprioception instead of just vision).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

snappahead
Expert Protege
Yeah, I've been really impressed with the Orion update and how much they were able to squeeze out of this low res camera just with software improvements. Makes me want to buy one, but there's not much to do with it right now.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

VizionVR
Rising Star
Definitely a promising little device for an investment value of ~$30.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Conz
Explorer
The Blocks VR Demo is really intense. After some time I have had the impression that I could feel the objects like a weak force field.
Seeing your hands in VR adds so much immersion.

One feature, that the leap motion has, is the see through camera. IMHO that is a missed opportunity by oculus not to include a front facing camera into the CV1. It's such a handy feature.

I have a leap motion without the Rift mount, there I can simply "glue" it to the DK2 (self-adhesive velcro stickers)
For the CV1 I can't see a good way yet to mount the LM on the fabric of the CV1 (I don't want to glue something on the fabric). I have the apprehension, that you can't use the LM on the CV1 the same way as on the DK2.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I picked one the other week when they had their flash sale. An interesting device which works quite well on the desktop. Only tried a few demo's with V2 and Orion, with no real problems using it. As a quick introductory experience, I quite enjoyed Kyoto.

Looking forward to the day the Rift arrives and I get to try out the block demo, and others 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
"conz" wrote:

I have a leap motion without the Rift mount, there I can simply "glue" it to the DK2 (self-adhesive velcro stickers)
For the CV1 I can't see a good way yet to mount the LM on the fabric of the CV1 (I don't want to glue something on the fabric). I have the apprehension, that you can't use the LM on the CV1 the same way as on the DK2.

I was thinking about that the other day, as you say, would hate to glue/stick the LM onto the front of the CV1. A 3D printed clip-on mount would work well enough, and be robust enough ...

JohSm67
Rising Star
Don't cover the IR leds 🙂
JohSm

CaptainDangerou
Protege
"JohSm67" wrote:
Don't cover the IR leds 🙂

Supposedly it wont interfere with any of the IR leds. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... nt_a_leap/ scroll to the bottom. Currently last post.

kojack
MVP
MVP
"vizionvr" wrote:
Definitely a promising little device for an investment value of ~$30.

"Paul_Blythe" wrote:
I picked one the other week when they had their flash sale.

Hmm, they have sales? It's currently $109 from the Leap store (for leap plus dk2 mount).

(It was down to $30 here in australia for a very short time, but that's because the only authorised supplier here was bankrupt and in the process of dumping stock. Now there's no local way to buy one)

CV1 mounting is going to be tricky, but not impossible. For example, a U shaped strip of plastic with the leap in the middle, the sides of the U go either side of the CV1 and a thick rubber band or two around the CV1 to hold it in place.

Although I just thought of something: CV1 doesn't have a usb hub anymore does it? So yet another usb cable. 😞

(Hmm, interesting. While checking if there's any news of usb ports on the CV1, I found an article from 2014 where Carmack told Wired that Oculus was working on a front facing camera for pass-through of video so the user could see their real environment. The Vive wasn't even announced until a year later)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2