New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Leap Motion looking impressive.

Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
Neo
edited March 2016 in General
Rather new to the vr scene and it's possibilities. Been following the members of VR spies for some time and getting an impression of the rift from them.

stumbled across this the other day, think it looks amazing. Early days but wow..

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
Zotac 1080Ti
16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
«1

Comments

  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,005 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, it works really well now. One of my co-workers came in to try it out (I had a DK2 with Leap running in a classroom) and ended up playing with the blocks for at least 15min. I think he wouldn't have left if he didn't have work to get back to. :)

    It did still have a little trouble (at one point it thought the DK2 cable plugged into my laptop was an arm. It did track it well though!), but it's very usable.
    The palm user interface bit was quite good too. It was very easy/natural to press the buttons in the air, possibly because making the buttons on the same plane as our left palm meant we have an immediate sense of distance (using proprioception instead of just vision).
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    Yeah, I've been really impressed with the Orion update and how much they were able to squeeze out of this low res camera just with software improvements. Makes me want to buy one, but there's not much to do with it right now.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Definitely a promising little device for an investment value of ~$30.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • ConzConz Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 2016
    The Blocks VR Demo is really intense. After some time I have had the impression that I could feel the objects like a weak force field.
    Seeing your hands in VR adds so much immersion.

    One feature, that the leap motion has, is the see through camera. IMHO that is a missed opportunity by oculus not to include a front facing camera into the CV1. It's such a handy feature.

    I have a leap motion without the Rift mount, there I can simply "glue" it to the DK2 (self-adhesive velcro stickers)
    For the CV1 I can't see a good way yet to mount the LM on the fabric of the CV1 (I don't want to glue something on the fabric). I have the apprehension, that you can't use the LM on the CV1 the same way as on the DK2.
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    I picked one the other week when they had their flash sale. An interesting device which works quite well on the desktop. Only tried a few demo's with V2 and Orion, with no real problems using it. As a quick introductory experience, I quite enjoyed Kyoto.

    Looking forward to the day the Rift arrives and I get to try out the block demo, and others :D
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    Conz wrote:
    ...

    I have a leap motion without the Rift mount, there I can simply "glue" it to the DK2 (self-adhesive velcro stickers)
    For the CV1 I can't see a good way yet to mount the LM on the fabric of the CV1 (I don't want to glue something on the fabric). I have the apprehension, that you can't use the LM on the CV1 the same way as on the DK2.

    I was thinking about that the other day, as you say, would hate to glue/stick the LM onto the front of the CV1. A 3D printed clip-on mount would work well enough, and be robust enough ...
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • JohSm67JohSm67 Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    Don't cover the IR leds :-)
  • JohSm67 wrote:
    Don't cover the IR leds :-)

    Supposedly it wont interfere with any of the IR leds. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... nt_a_leap/ scroll to the bottom. Currently last post.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,005 Volunteer Moderator
    VizionVR wrote:
    Definitely a promising little device for an investment value of ~$30.
    I picked one the other week when they had their flash sale.
    Hmm, they have sales? It's currently $109 from the Leap store (for leap plus dk2 mount).

    (It was down to $30 here in australia for a very short time, but that's because the only authorised supplier here was bankrupt and in the process of dumping stock. Now there's no local way to buy one)

    CV1 mounting is going to be tricky, but not impossible. For example, a U shaped strip of plastic with the leap in the middle, the sides of the U go either side of the CV1 and a thick rubber band or two around the CV1 to hold it in place.

    Although I just thought of something: CV1 doesn't have a usb hub anymore does it? So yet another usb cable. :(


    (Hmm, interesting. While checking if there's any news of usb ports on the CV1, I found an article from 2014 where Carmack told Wired that Oculus was working on a front facing camera for pass-through of video so the user could see their real environment. The Vive wasn't even announced until a year later)
  • kojack wrote:
    VizionVR wrote:
    Definitely a promising little device for an investment value of ~$30.
    I picked one the other week when they had their flash sale.
    Hmm, they have sales? It's currently $109 from the Leap store (for leap plus dk2 mount).

    (It was down to $30 here in australia for a very short time, but that's because the only authorised supplier here was bankrupt and in the process of dumping stock. Now there's no local way to buy one)

    CV1 mounting is going to be tricky, but not impossible. For example, a U shaped strip of plastic with the leap in the middle, the sides of the U go either side of the CV1 and a thick rubber band or two around the CV1 to hold it in place.

    Although I just thought of something: CV1 doesn't have a usb hub anymore does it? So yet another usb cable. :(


    (Hmm, interesting. While checking if there's any news of usb ports on the CV1, I found an article from 2014 where Carmack told Wired that Oculus was working on a front facing camera for pass-through of video so the user could see their real environment. The Vive wasn't even announced until a year later)


    Its has been sub $30 on amazon for a little while. http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Motion-Contr ... eap+motion
  • alexcolganalexcolgan Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    Conz wrote:
    For the CV1 I can't see a good way yet to mount the LM on the fabric of the CV1 (I don't want to glue something on the fabric). I have the apprehension, that you can't use the LM on the CV1 the same way as on the DK2.

    The faceplate of the CV1 is plastic; the fabric is only around the sides. The only real issue right now is that our mount is flat, while the CV1 is curved. We're getting new adhesives that are thicker and compressible, so that they fasten really nicely ;) And don't worry, the adhesive is easy to remove.
    Head writer @ Leap Motion
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,005 Volunteer Moderator
    alexcolgan wrote:
    Conz wrote:
    For the CV1 I can't see a good way yet to mount the LM on the fabric of the CV1 (I don't want to glue something on the fabric). I have the apprehension, that you can't use the LM on the CV1 the same way as on the DK2.

    The faceplate of the CV1 is plastic; the fabric is only around the sides. The only real issue right now is that our mount is flat, while the CV1 is curved. We're getting new adhesives that are thicker and compressible, so that they fasten really nicely ;) And don't worry, the adhesive is easy to remove.
    Awesome. :)
  • ConzConz Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you alexcolgan for the info, it's good to read that.


    EDIT:
    kojack wrote:
    Although I just thought of something: CV1 doesn't have a usb hub anymore does it? So yet another usb cable. :(
    It's recommended not to use the usb hub on the DK2. It is not fast enought for the LM data. I have had troubble to use the LM with a normal usb hub (not recommended, too). It's only working with a separate usb on my computer for the LM.
  • VRsteveVRsteve Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi Guys,

    Ive been messing about with the new Orion beta and Oculus, the blocks demo is amazing.

    For me its taken VR to the next level, being able to pick up object in VR with no controller is a mind blow.

    There is very little content at the minute but I got a second hand Leap Motion for £30 and im very pleased I did. I love nothing more than introducing friends to new tech and this is up there with the best. Wow.
  • witboy83witboy83 Posts: 181
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, its pretty good, grabing action needs little polishing tho :)
    0L74uCv.jpg
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    This technology combined with VR controllers would be pretty amazing. In Elite, your player avatar would mimic your actual hand and arm movements, and if your HOTAS was set up in the right spot, you could watch your virtual hand grab the actual controls. This will be another step in achieving true immersion.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • alexcolganalexcolgan Posts: 162
    Art3mis
    witboy83 wrote:
    Yeah, its pretty good, grabing action needs little polishing tho :)

    This is just the first release of Orion, on three-year-old hardware. Just watch us ;)
    Head writer @ Leap Motion
  • RyanVRRyanVR Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    After watching this maybe the best option for the Rift 2.0 is no Touch at all but something like this.
    You could still grab something in reality to get the feeling of holding a sword or something but in the end you're just using your hands.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    RyanVR wrote:
    After watching this maybe the best option for the Rift 2.0 is no Touch at all but something like this.
    You could still grab something in reality to get the feeling of holding a sword or something but in the end you're just using your hands.
    Nah,we still need controllers for certain inputs. This technology definitely has uses, but for many things, a controller is a better choice.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    That thread did spark my interest in the product... Just ordered one... Can't wait to tinker with it...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • ebone260ebone260 Posts: 148
    I didn't realize they had come down in price so much or I would have gotten one by now.
  • glenglen Posts: 16
    Admitably it is still under development but ...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDd8psWui8A
  • TremFTremF Posts: 96
    edited February 2016
    maxpare79 wrote:
    That thread did spark my interest in the product... Just ordered one... Can't wait to tinker with it...

    I have read that there is also meant to be new hardware with the Orion update with more sensitive colour cameras? I'm holding off for this.

    "Leap Motion considers Orion an entirely new product, separate from the original Leap Motion device. The company is releasing a beta version of the Orion software that will work with existing Leap Motion trackers, but Buckwald said that Orion requires a combination of hardware and software to work properly. The software is being released now so that developers can get an early start on creating applications for the platform."

    "the Orion hardware is designed specifically for VR headsets, the hope here is that more hardware manufacturers will be more willing to embed Leap Motion's 3D motion sensors in their AR and VR headsets. The Orion hardware is thinner, smaller and in general just more compatible with a wider swath of headsets."
    glen wrote:
    Admitably it is still under development but ...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDd8psWui8A

    That does look cool! If that is using the original Leap Motion hardware imagine what the new Orion hardware will do. :)

    Edit: The new hardware was / is codenamed "dragonfly" - greater than HD colour cameras but I'm not sure they're releasing a separate hardware module as there is talk of it being imbedded into VR hardware. :(

    http://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2015-leap-motion-co-founders-talk-dragonfly-made-vr-motion-input-camera/
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    I can't believe it is the same product! Amazing what a little software update can do.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • Riky87Riky87 Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Guys, the leap motion today is on sale at 39,99euro or 49,99 with the vr mount Vs 89,99 / 96,99.. Looks a good deal!

    Before this price i wasn't for buy it, too early not many stuff to try.. but now with that price and orion sw..

    Should i buy it?

    (something to play that came before the CV1.. maybe it can help me to flow the time faster? :lol: )

    http://store-eur.leapmotion.com/
  • Sloeri007Sloeri007 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    I just ordered one...
    Perfect to kill the waiting time :D
  • TremFTremF Posts: 96
    Riky87 wrote:
    Guys, the leap motion today is on sale at 39,99euro or 49,99 with the vr mount Vs 89,99 / 96,99.. Looks a good deal!

    Before this price i wasn't for buy it, too early not many stuff to try.. but now with that price and orion sw..

    Should i buy it?

    (something to play that came before the CV1.. maybe it can help me to flow the time faster? :lol: )

    http://store-eur.leapmotion.com/

    Ok You got me with the sale price... I just took the leap for the Leap with VR mount. ;)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,005 Volunteer Moderator
    Riky87 wrote:
    Guys, the leap motion today is on sale at 39,99euro or 49,99 with the vr mount Vs 89,99 / 96,99.. Looks a good deal!

    Before this price i wasn't for buy it, too early not many stuff to try.. but now with that price and orion sw..

    Should i buy it?

    (something to play that came before the CV1.. maybe it can help me to flow the time faster? :lol: )

    http://store-eur.leapmotion.com/
    Sale on today for $59.98 (dev bundle with aus shipping added)?
    Damn it! I bought it only 20 hours ago for $98. :(
  • BLACKENED21BLACKENED21 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    After reading about Leap Motion for weeks, I was able to purchase the developer bundle for $50 today!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I've had one for a while, but never bothered with it much after being disappointed with the tracking quality. This new update is not perfect, but may be good enough for some simple stuff. I will definitely look at this a little closer now. Gonna pick up the developer bundle as soon as I get home. That's a good deal.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
Sign In or Register to comment.