New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

TekRok

jmorris142jmorris142 Posts: 83
edited February 2016 in Showcase
Older Video of Work in Progress
What I have been working on.

Comments

• KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    Super cool! This has come a long way!

I loved the latest 0.7 demo build.
  • Super cool! This has come a long way!

I loved the latest 0.7 demo build.
    Hi KevinLongtime, thanks I am glad you liked the current version. The next phase I'm working on is putting together the "real" version of full final game story and all weapons. The helmet in the current demo is just one of many weapons in the long journey you take through this alien planet. Can't wait for people to see what it is actually about.
  • omvromvr Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Oh, love the "Avatar" floating hair on the creatures at the end :)
  • omvr wrote:
    Hi omvr, :) glad you like, i've been working on them more with different styles and variations for hair etc, will show some more video of that soon.
  • One more thing, if anyone is interested I am ready to start testing some of the weapons I've been putting together as well as parts of the story mode. If you would like to try out weapons, story mode, and give feedback, send me a PM:) Thanks
  • omvromvr Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    jmorris142 wrote:
    omvr wrote:
    Hi omvr, :) glad you like, i've been working on them more with different styles and variations for hair etc, will show some more video of that soon.

Will keep an eye :)
  • For the last few months I've been concentrating on up close melee combat and weapons. Here are a few images of progress.
    It took a lot of trail and error but once the melee sword and pistols have the right strategy and timing it feels great in VR to be fighting up close.

TekRok_GS_3.0.ScreenshotSmall_01.jpg
    TekRok_GS_3.0.ScreenshotSmall_02.jpg
    TekRok_GS_3.0.ScreenshotSmall_03.jpg
    TekRok_GS_3.0.ScreenshotSmall_05.jpg
    TekRok_GS_3.0.ScreenshotSmall_06.jpg
    TekRok_GS_3.0.ScreenshotSmall_04.jpg
  • Hey small update, a play through test video of someone in the early levels of the story, using primitive weapons to escape your captors.
    You can see once you get the hang of the sword and what parts to strike at you can get past enemies quickly. You can block with the sword up to 3 times continuously before it is pushed away or toggle blocking and striking constantly.
    There are 40 + levels now in the story and 10 weapons so far, working on adding 4 player multiplayer arenas now, I'll show more of them in more play through videos soon.
  • mknktmknkt Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Looking amazing!
    Vector Reboot Studio
  • mknkt wrote:
    Looking amazing!

Thanks mknkt, glad you are liking it:), Should sound really good soon also, I've just pulled the whole game apart to add Sectr 3D audio to everything and rebuild from there, it's a huge difference with 3D sound for sure. Set me back a few weeks but well worth it.
  • uswinuswin Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Hi jmorris142,
    I used to try tekrok demo back in the days and i have to say that this is a very immersive game, well aside from the juddering mess in my rig (i3,gtx970,4gb,win764). This is the first time that i felt threatened by a giant spider, I immediately remember starship trooper movie when playing this game, i don't know why.

anyway, I cant wait to purchase the full version of this game, and make sure you optimize the game so no judder anymore please, if you can please add graphic setting (low,med,high), comfort mode etc.

amazing game
  • uswin wrote:
    Hi jmorris142,
    I used to try tekrok demo back in the days and i have to say that this is a very immersive game, well aside from the juddering mess in my rig (i3,gtx970,4gb,win764). This is the first time that i felt threatened by a giant spider, I immediately remember starship trooper movie when playing this game, i don't know why.

anyway, I cant wait to purchase the full version of this game, and make sure you optimize the game so no judder anymore please, if you can please add graphic setting (low,med,high), comfort mode etc.

amazing game

Hi uswin, wow thats awesome!:)< thanks so much for letting me know you liked it, it's very motivational to know you felt immersed in the world, thats exactly what I want to keep pushing forward with.
    Yes I think you would have played an old version built with the 0.4 runtime and unity 4.3, now I have it all running smooth as silk on all systems with all the latest everything, just learning constantly, new ways to optimize and making better decisions as I go helps a lot, find some new way each day to squeeze more out of it.
    Yep I got you covered with a graphic settings mode in there now, you should be able to play on highest settings no matter your setup, thats what i am aiming for anyways.
    I'm bringing back the spiders as well as about 20 other creatures like the giant rock guys etc, but I went back to the basics to the last few months just to get a solid foundation to the most simple weapons like swords and knives.. and build on those from there., What you can't see in the lastest playthrough video is you can now pick up the heads and store them in your inventory, bring them out later on a stick and explode them to scare off other tribes as you escape this area.
    Thanks again uswin, look forward to get you the full version.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    Is the version on share supposed to be runtime 0.8 compatible?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • Wildt wrote:

Hi Wildt,
    Yes it works with runtime 0.8, I just checked it again now and all runs fine. Are you unable to get it working?.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    jmorris142 wrote:
    Wildt wrote:

Hi Wildt,
    Yes it works with runtime 0.8, I just checked it again now and all runs fine. Are you unable to get it working?.

Just tried it again and it works now - dunno what happened last time. I do, however, still get the annoying 50% movement framerate (smooth headtracking with no dropped frames, but character position gets updated every other frame when using the WASD keys).
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Brain Burst
    jmorris142 wrote:
    uswin wrote:
    Hi jmorris142,

amazing game

Hi uswin, wow thats awesome!:)< thanks so much for letting me know you liked it, it's very motivational to know you felt immersed in the world, thats exactly what I want to keep pushing forward with.
    Yes I think you would have played an old version built with the 0.4 runtime and unity 4.3, now I have it all running smooth as silk on all systems with all the latest everything, just learning constantly, new ways to optimize and making better decisions as I go helps a lot, find some new way each day to squeeze more out of it.
    Yep I got you covered with a graphic settings mode in there now, you should be able to play on highest settings no matter your setup, thats what i am aiming for anyways.
    I'm bringing back the spiders as well as about 20 other creatures like the giant rock guys etc, but I went back to the basics to the last few months just to get a solid foundation to the most simple weapons like swords and knives.. and build on those from there., What you can't see in the lastest playthrough video is you can now pick up the heads and store them in your inventory, bring them out later on a stick and explode them to scare off other tribes as you escape this area.
    Thanks again uswin, look forward to get you the full version.

Yes yes yes, the giant spider will be back again, not to mention a melee attack from knife etc, amazing, and yes i have just tried the newest demo on share, it is indeed more smoother but still had some judder when moving my head for a while.

one more thing, sometime i feel that the scale is kind of off for me, is this intentional due to that we play as a giant alien being (different scale perception than human) ? or maybe you will be able to change the scale like in "minecrift" scale slider option, but if this is intentional due to game design, i guess that is okay.

by the way, this game will had a full story right ? how big or how long do you estimate an average gamer to complete this game ?
  • jmorris142jmorris142 Posts: 83
    edited April 2016
    Yes yes yes, the giant spider will be back again, not to mention a melee attack from knife etc, amazing, and yes i have just tried the newest demo on share, it is indeed more smoother but still had some judder when moving my head for a while.

one more thing, sometime i feel that the scale is kind of off for me, is this intentional due to that we play as a giant alien being (different scale perception than human) ? or maybe you will be able to change the scale like in "minecrift" scale slider option, but if this is intentional due to game design, i guess that is okay.

by the way, this game will had a full story right ? how big or how long do you estimate an average gamer to complete this game ?

Hi uswin,

The scale did seem off agreed, thanks for the feedback on that, all of that in that older demo version on share is gone, so I could make the full story mode, I kept a few level ideas and the helmet weapon will return but hopefully I think the scale feels right now, I think it's more realistic.

Yes full story
    It's organic science fiction is the best way to describe it.

I realized I have not really put up a lot of screenshots of the different areas you travel through in the game. Here are examples of about half the places you visit on your journey, don't want to give away everything. Included some shots of inventory menu and also my test level of all the world creatures in one place.
    The Game runs in chapters so far. Chapter one is "The Steal"

TekRok_Levels_40_011.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_031.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_041.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_081.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_101.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_091.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_111.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_121.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_071.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_141.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_171.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_181.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_151.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_161.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_191.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_051.jpg

TekRok_Levels_40_201.jpg
  • Also here are a few of the weapons, these are now textured and working in game. I'm sure there will be plenty of VR games with realistic weapons, so I really want to do something different with the weapons. It's actually pretty tricky trying to develop mechanisms for organic weapons to look like they could work without metal and complex machining. Most of these have unlimited ammo, but the trick is using them at the right time of day and using the correct ammo type on the right enemy.
    More to come soon.

TekRok_Weapon_Renders_2016_01.jpg
  • jmorris142jmorris142 Posts: 83
    edited April 2016
    I won't be working on TekRok for a few months while I finish up something else, so try this out, if you like.

Needs latest 8.0 runtime and DK2

Tip with "Slub" for max damage, step left, swing and then step right, aim for the neck.

[Edit] Removed this demo version as it only works with 8.0 now. Will add a new version soon.
    Brain Burst
    jmorris142 wrote:
    I won't be working on TekRok for a few months while I finish up something else, so try this out, if you like.

Needs latest 8.0 runtime and DK2

Tip with "Slub" for max damage, step left, swing and then step right, aim for the neck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkhwrgm3yfst1u6/Tekrok_Dark_01.zip?dl=0

Oh my god, i just tried this version, this is unbelievably cool game for sure.

first I really love the design of the weapon in this version, The Slub look very sturdy and really organic, the animation is cool, inside of the cave is 99% buttery smooth, and when the first time I saw those tribe monster with tentacle hair, and 6 eye, that is really scary, it is as feel like you are being chase by an alien figure, and when you manage to slash them you will feel a satisfactory feel, of course the slashing animation can be better in the future.

second when you go to the arena with a lot of door cave, inside of elevator the stuttering occur and in the arena itself the stuttering tend to occur when you are being surrounded by tribe monster, this is crazy battle, you are being chased by the small tribe and the big tribe, some of them carried the slub / sword and one of them carried tribe pistol, and when you manage to pick this weapon that is some crazy shit, i indeed feel the way the pistol animated it feel like a biological thing moving by itself, very amazing, not to mention by pressing left and right mouse alternately the pistol will go crazy, wooz wooz wooz. the environment design is spot on, very organic and alien like environment.

so basically, this is shaping up to be a promising title indeed, day 1 buy, you just need to fix and polish the
    1. Stuttering frame rate / performance (make graphic option)
    2. Make a slider for scale like in minecrift if possible, I feel the scale is still off, everything seem way way too big
    3. polish the slashing animation of the sword/melee weapon more
  • Hey uswin, thanks for taking the time to get back to me with your thoughts, really great to hear and helpful. I love the way you described what happened and how you got to the battle arena area hah, and that you got your hands on the pistol, glad you found it and noticed the animations also, so of the more complex ones play only one in 10 times, like the longer reload etc. Really liked that you picked up on the alternating left and right mouse clicks to get maximum fire rate out of it. It was an experiment I tried to see if that was interesting and now It's the first thing I do when i pick up that pistol, left right left right, cool it felt natural to you. I wish I had more time to add more to that scene because after you defeat everyone and get the pistol a giant door opens and you start off into the wilderness through a lost jungle city. That is where the story part of the game starts, however it's all unspawned with no enemies. I work on all the enemies and weapons in a single scene that has hundreds of things in it so I can populate the whole game later. Glad you liked the environments also. When I get back to it I will totally cover the 3 areas you mention, performance is another I need to look at the shaders I was messing with, for enemies and voxel terrain, they seem to be slowing things down a lot in that scene in particular and also set up LOD's for everything/ later.
    One question, you mention fixing the slub sword animation, do you mean in first person or on the 3rd person enemy characters, or both:)?
    Thanks again for the thoughts really helps.
    J
    Brain Burst
    jmorris142 wrote:
    Hey uswin, thanks for taking the time to get back to me with your thoughts, really great to hear and helpful. I love the way you described what happened and how you got to the battle arena area hah, and that you got your hands on the pistol, glad you found it and noticed the animations also, so of the more complex ones play only one in 10 times, like the longer reload etc. Really liked that you picked up on the alternating left and right mouse clicks to get maximum fire rate out of it. It was an experiment I tried to see if that was interesting and now It's the first thing I do when i pick up that pistol, left right left right, cool it felt natural to you. I wish I had more time to add more to that scene because after you defeat everyone and get the pistol a giant door opens and you start off into the wilderness through a lost jungle city. That is where the story part of the game starts, however it's all unspawned with no enemies. I work on all the enemies and weapons in a single scene that has hundreds of things in it so I can populate the whole game later. Glad you liked the environments also. When I get back to it I will totally cover the 3 areas you mention, performance is another I need to look at the shaders I was messing with, for enemies and voxel terrain, they seem to be slowing things down a lot in that scene in particular and also set up LOD's for everything/ later.
    One question, you mention fixing the slub sword animation, do you mean in first person or on the 3rd person enemy characters, or both:)?
    Thanks again for the thoughts really helps.
    J

Hi Jmorris,
    I see, so that is why, after defeating all of the tribe in that giant large area, nothing is happening, it is not finished yet.
    I mean the first person animation, still a bit rough i guess, i think the 3rd person animation is very cool and smooth.