cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vive vs Oculus: From a Developer

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I have a great friend who works for NASA. Yes NASA is actually doing VR. He has used both Oculs and the Vive consumer versions. I'm sure none of this will come as a big surprise, but I will relay what he said to me.

Resolution: Oculus
He said both looked great but he felt the Oculus was sharper.

Weight: Oculus
He said the Oculus wasn't just a little lighter but quite a bit lighter.

Comfortable: Oculus
The Vive weighs more and is not nearly as comfortable.

Controller: Vive
He felt that the Vive was more accurate. It responded almost at one to one. He liked the Oculus touch controllers but he liked the response of the Vive controllers more.

Sound: Oculus
He said the sound was perfect for the Oculus. He said the fact that you do not have to add your own headphones is a big deal because of the hassle of putting on headphones on top of the VR unit. That and the weight plus how comfortable the Oculus headset is, is a big factor.

Room Scale: Vive
He was testing a game where you painted in 3D, and he said it was incredible. He was really impressed with the Vive for room scale.

Software: Oculus
He said Oculs has already made deals with a ton of big name software manufactures and has a big headstart. He felt that Vive will catch up and at some point may be the system to go with purely for gaming, but right now Oculus will have more titles available. I have already stated this but paying 800 dollars and getting a game like "Work Simulator" is a clear sign that there is not a lot of options for initial release games on the Vive.

He offered to get me a Vive if there is a title he feels I have to play, and I can't play it on the Oculus. Awesome friend!

In my posts in this forum I have maintained my desire to wait for my Oculus to show up, and everything he told me makes me feel confident that Oculus is the better choice right now. I don't want a heavier uncomfortable experience with the Vive and I have little interest in Room VR. He did say that I may change my mind with room VR, so I'll check it out, but I'm pretty confident I'm good with a seated experience. Oh he also really liked the Vive Chaperone.
100 REPLIES 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's good to get another perspective from someone who has experience beyond a demo with both units. There is no substitute for long-term use comparisons in real-life environments. I'm sure it won't be too long and we'll have had our fill of those though. 🙂

That's pretty much how I feel about the Oculus for my use; it should be a very good fit.

CyberCub
Explorer
Thanks and no offense but all I see is the result of various reviews that already exists out there and it's really a 50/50. One person loves one while another prefers the other option. When I clicked this forum topic I was hoping it was a direct source thought and review not the my brothers uncle former roommate said this.. The best reviewer is you and that's all what matters not what other say.

But if you have access to try both now then you have great opportunity of try before you buy.

Maxxgold
Rising Star
"cybercub" wrote:
Thanks and no offense but all I see is the result of various reviews that already exists out there and it's really a 50/50. One person loves one while another prefers the other option. When I clicked this forum topic I was hoping it was a direct source thought and review not the my brothers uncle former roommate said this.. The best reviewer is you and that's all what matters not what other say.

But if you have access to try both now then you have great opportunity of try before you buy.

Yes, everyone that try's both will be able to make the best choice for themselves. I'm fine with my friends thoughts on VR and I stated that most of this stuff has already been reported. This is a direct source. Someone who has actually used both.People like you run around like chickens with their heads cut off crying about the sky falling. Note to self: If you don't have anything constructive to say then just keep it to yourself.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
It's nice hearing an opinion from some one who has both and is giving an unbiased review. I am a little concerned that the vive controller responded better, as i am looking forwing to getting hand tracking but i am still sticking with the rift. Even if i wanted the vive i can't justify the price as that would be taken out of my new pc budget and especially not without a suitable space for room scale with lighthouse system.

edmg
Trustee
"Mr.Creepy" wrote:
It's nice hearing an opinion from some one who has both and is giving an unbiased review. I am a little concerned that the vive controller responded better, as i am looking forwing to getting hand tracking but i am still sticking with the rift.

Presumably it's the reason they're not releasing the Touch controllers yet.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
"edmg" wrote:
"Mr.Creepy" wrote:
It's nice hearing an opinion from some one who has both and is giving an unbiased review. I am a little concerned that the vive controller responded better, as i am looking forwing to getting hand tracking but i am still sticking with the rift.

Presumably it's the reason they're not releasing the Touch controllers yet.

I hope they can get it better, if they can improve the tracking at all. Not that i think it's bad anyway, i haven't heard anyone who tried them say anything about them not being accurate. Except from this guy of course.

CyberCub
Explorer
"Maxxgold" wrote:
"cybercub" wrote:

Yes, everyone that try's both will be able to make the best choice for themselves. I'm fine with my friends thoughts on VR and I stated that most of this stuff has already been reported. This is a direct source. Someone who has actually used both.People like you run around like chickens with their heads cut off crying about the sky falling. Note to self: If you don't have anything constructive to say then just keep it to yourself.

Why are you so defensive? Ah, the power of the internet where hot heads get fired up taking things out of context and reading it the way they see fit to justify their irrational response. Glad its a friend to you but to me.. I do not know you and as such it is face value as rumor unless its a direct source to me. You are saying I run around saying sky is falling when I would only believe it if I actually seen it myself? You make absolutely no sense. Good day sir..

For others reading sure hope this is entertainment for you all :)...

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Honestly, this dev pretty much summed up my thoughts looking at what information and videos we have available right now. The Rift seems to have the edge in comfort, polish, and ease of use, while the Vive seems to have the edge in precision, scalability, and being the more complete VR solution.

And I think price will be moot once we figure out what the Touch controllers plus 2nd Tracking camera will cost.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

HiThere_
Superstar
Makes me wonder about the Sixense STEM : Unlike Touch it's tracking doesn't suffer from occlusion problems, but other then that I don't know how well they compare (Sixense STEM is expensive, but it's not like the Touch controllers are going to be cheap).

Maybe it's a good thing Touch was delayed : I'll be looking forward to a Sixense STEM vs Touch review 🙂