cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vive vs Oculus: From a Developer

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I have a great friend who works for NASA. Yes NASA is actually doing VR. He has used both Oculs and the Vive consumer versions. I'm sure none of this will come as a big surprise, but I will relay what he said to me.

Resolution: Oculus
He said both looked great but he felt the Oculus was sharper.

Weight: Oculus
He said the Oculus wasn't just a little lighter but quite a bit lighter.

Comfortable: Oculus
The Vive weighs more and is not nearly as comfortable.

Controller: Vive
He felt that the Vive was more accurate. It responded almost at one to one. He liked the Oculus touch controllers but he liked the response of the Vive controllers more.

Sound: Oculus
He said the sound was perfect for the Oculus. He said the fact that you do not have to add your own headphones is a big deal because of the hassle of putting on headphones on top of the VR unit. That and the weight plus how comfortable the Oculus headset is, is a big factor.

Room Scale: Vive
He was testing a game where you painted in 3D, and he said it was incredible. He was really impressed with the Vive for room scale.

Software: Oculus
He said Oculs has already made deals with a ton of big name software manufactures and has a big headstart. He felt that Vive will catch up and at some point may be the system to go with purely for gaming, but right now Oculus will have more titles available. I have already stated this but paying 800 dollars and getting a game like "Work Simulator" is a clear sign that there is not a lot of options for initial release games on the Vive.

He offered to get me a Vive if there is a title he feels I have to play, and I can't play it on the Oculus. Awesome friend!

In my posts in this forum I have maintained my desire to wait for my Oculus to show up, and everything he told me makes me feel confident that Oculus is the better choice right now. I don't want a heavier uncomfortable experience with the Vive and I have little interest in Room VR. He did say that I may change my mind with room VR, so I'll check it out, but I'm pretty confident I'm good with a seated experience. Oh he also really liked the Vive Chaperone.
100 REPLIES 100

Syrellaris
Rising Star
"Maxxgold" wrote:
"cybercub" wrote:
Thanks and no offense but all I see is the result of various reviews that already exists out there and it's really a 50/50. One person loves one while another prefers the other option. When I clicked this forum topic I was hoping it was a direct source thought and review not the my brothers uncle former roommate said this.. The best reviewer is you and that's all what matters not what other say.

But if you have access to try both now then you have great opportunity of try before you buy.

Yes, everyone that try's both will be able to make the best choice for themselves. I'm fine with my friends thoughts on VR and I stated that most of this stuff has already been reported. This is a direct source. Someone who has actually used both.People like you run around like chickens with their heads cut off crying about the sky falling. Note to self: If you don't have anything constructive to say then just keep it to yourself.

Actually he is right. All we got is your word for it and lets face it, "my friend who works for nasa and develops for VR,," does sound quite made up. Unless you actually provide proof that he works for nasa and is working with the vive / rift consumer editions(as you called it) for a project for Nasa. Until then, it is just that.. a rumor.

chtan
Protege
I am skeptic about this claim as developer talks with figures and facts but 'feels like' is not the correct way of expression from a dev.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
WHAT VERSION OF EACH HEADSET PLZ

I see a lot of comparisons between the Rift DK2 and the Vive Pre.

i'm like derp

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"Maxxgold" wrote:
I have already stated this but paying 800 dollars and getting a game like "Work Simulator" is a clear sign that there is not a lot of options for initial release games on the Vive.

Yeah, including one of the best, most fun games for Vive (Job Simulator) as well as one of the best examples of controller tracking is a sign there aren't a lot of options. Wait, what? And did you forget it also comes with TiltBrush and Fantastic Contraption?

VizionVR
Rising Star
Couple of things:
- The Company is called Oculus, the HMD is called Rift.
- By talking to you, your NASA friend has potentially violated some pretty strict NDAs with both NASA and Oculus.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
Oculus is coming out of the gate being higher resolution DK2, Vive is coming out of the gate being the first holodeck.

scottmc87
Explorer
"zork2001" wrote:
Oculus is coming out of the gate being higher resolution DK2, Vive is coming out of the gate being the first holodeck.

SOMEONE HAS TO CREATE A WAY TO WALK INTO THE HOLODECK!!!! That would be the most incredible thing I've ever experienced. Or just to walk on the bridge of the ship. My goodness....
Rig: Windows 10 | EVGA GTX 980ti Classified.| i5 6600k | 16gigs DDR4 3000mhz. DK2 (Owned) CV1 (Pre-Ordered) Vive (Pre-Ordered)

Ashles
Protege
"chtan" wrote:
I am skeptic about this claim as developer talks with figures and facts but 'feels like' is not the correct way of expression from a dev.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read all day. Have you ever actually met a developer? They don't make a machine code noise when they talk. They do often have opinions, emotions and feelings on how devices feel.

I can't believe the 'skeptical' responses here. I have used both devices (for short periods of time) and nothing in the OP disagrees with my recollections (particularly the weight of the CV1 which struck me at the time as being unexpectedly light). But why people are trying to shoot down this reported experience is baffling - some people are a little too emotionally invested already in one HMD versus the other.
Clearly both devices have a lot to offer and are appealing to many people so can't we consider this an all round good thing for VR?
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

edmg
Trustee
"zork2001" wrote:
Vive is coming out of the gate being the first holodeck.

But it's a real holodeck, where you walk into the walls after fifteen feet, rather than being able to keep walking as far as this episode's script requires.

And I'm not looking forward to being trapped in the gangster-filled 1930s when it malfunctions yet again.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
"Ashles" wrote:
"chtan" wrote:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read all day. Have you ever actually met a developer? They don't make a machine code noise when they talk. They do often have opinions, emotions and feelings on how devices feel.

I can't believe the 'skeptical' responses here. I have used both devices (for short periods of time) and nothing in the OP disagrees with my recollections (particularly the weight of the CV1 which struck me at the time as being unexpectedly light). But why people are trying to shoot down this reported experience is baffling - some people are a little too emotionally invested already in one HMD versus the other.
Clearly both devices have a lot to offer and are appealing to many people so can't we consider this an all round good thing for VR?

Shoot him down?? Really? Do you really not understand that starting a post with "I have a great friend who works for NASA. Yes NASA is actually doing VR. He has used both Oculs and the Vive consumer versions" is skeptical to begin with?

Simply put, he is bringing a lot of things as facts. Which for the most of us can't be proven yet. So they are nothing more but opinions and rumors. They could well be true, but none knows.