cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes. Extension Cables DO work w/ CV1

cybereality
Grand Champion
Just because I was curious myself, I got some USB 3.0 and HDMI extension cables. I used them with both the sensor and the consumer headset. They're standard 10 foot passive cables. They seem to work with no problem. Cheers.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
302 REPLIES 302

rlabelle
Protege
That is awesome information thank you! The setup I have planned I will need about 5 more feet of cable, and I was wondering the same thing but figured I would have to wait till I got my CV1 to know for sure.
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28

Bendak
Explorer
That's good to know. I know some devices are more finicky than others when it comes to cable length.

Also presents another option of having short extension cables coming out of the back of your PC for easy access to plug/unplug the Rift without reaching behind your PC.

thhrash
Explorer
Wonderful news! I didn't think we would be able to do passive. Once again you pull through for us 8-)

bp2008
Protege
Any idea if USB 3.0 hubs will work (reliably, without added latency, etc)?

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Cyber can you report back about this in the future? I used extenders on DK2 and it appeared to work at first, but only after using it for a long time did I notice that there were intermittent freezing problems with the tracking, which went away when I removed the extenders. So even if extenders seem to work for the CV1, there might be problems that only show up after long term use.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah good to know about HDMI too, was testing USB extenders earlier in the week after Callum wasn't sure if they would work or not

jim1174
Protege
I e-mailed oculus about this a few weeks ago and here is what they said

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting Oculus Support.

Although Oculus has not released any information in regards to using extension cables, in general, using an extension cable can cause a slow down in data and may be noticeable.

For the best possible experience, we would recommend not using extension cables on any of our products.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Damien
Oculus Support

VizionVR
Rising Star
"cybereality" wrote:
Just because I was curious myself, I got some USB 3.0 and HDMI extension cables. I used them with both the sensor and the consumer headset. They're standard 10 foot passive cables. They seem to work with no problem. Cheers.

Excellent news Cyber, thanks for posting the results. So with the extensions, what was the overall length?
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is great news indeed. I've already ordered mine since hearing that so that I a ready just in case I would need to expand.

As a quick confirmation, I believe I've seen this already but wanted to be certain. The base out of the box length of all the cords including for the sensor is each 12 feet or four meters, correct? I want to be certain since my computer in on a desk in a corner of my living room but I want to set up my sensor on by living room table (under 12 feet from my computer) and then play from my living room couch.