New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

quad binaural

carmandalecarmandale Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
Does anyone know how to get quad binaural to work in Milk VR? I have 4 stereo files produced from a quad binaural mix. 0 degrees, 90, 180, 270. How does Milk VR want them? How do I encode them into the .mp4?
thanks, can't find any info.

Dale

Comments

• TheCaravanBandTheCaravanBand Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Hopefully this will help:

I use Quicktime 7 (not the latest version X, but the old one...)

Open your video file in Quicktime 7
    Open audio files in Quicktime 7
    Select length of audio file (command-A)
    Copy (command-C)
    Go to video and "add to video" (not paste!)
    Do this with all of your files, embedding them in the quicktime video file
    Save as a new file

This seems to work for me. I can upload to MilkVR with positional audio. Sometimes I have to use Handbrake to convert the new video and audio, with the audio set to AAC, if it wasn't already. If they're in the right order, MilkVR should be able to figure it out.

I'm curious about quad stereo binaural. If a stereo file is positioned at 0 degrees, does this mean it's oriented to the left and right, or front and back of the listener?
  • kromondkromond Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I have been trying this out. My audio is from 4 mono channels, so I'm also unsure how 4 channels of stereo is getting mapped by milkVR. But this is what I worked out. I am writing 4 channels uncompressed audio from premiere as mov, then assembled with ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i videoIn.mp4 -i 4channelsOfMonoAudoIn.mov -vcodec copy -c:a aac -ar 48000 -b:a 256k -map 0:0 -map 1:a out_binaural.mp4

So far it seem mixing my 4 channels into 5.1 sounds better in the transitions and is easier since I can write the final movie directly from premiere
  • gp360gp360 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I just wondered if anyone had discovered the answer to the question 'If a stereo file is positioned at 0 degrees, does this mean it's oriented to the left and right, or front and back of the listener?'

Also, at the risk of sound stoopid, isn't 270L identical to 90R, 0L to 180R, 90L to 270R and 0R to 180L? (not taking into account pinna shape etc)