New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No anisotropic texture filtering on the S6

MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
Art3mis
edited March 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
So - i was reading this:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/squee ... r-vr-game/

I didn´t understand half of it (it´s ok - i am not a programmer - just a geek :ugeek: ) - but then this sentence:

"The S6 does not support anisotropic texture filtering."

Ahhh... what now? Isn't this really really bad? Doesn't EVERY gpu support ATF? Isn´t ATF an important cornerstone of 3D graphics? Why doesn't the newest and most powerful of the three GPU´s support it?

And what does this mean? Do GearVR apps look worse on the S6 than on the N4´s?

I am very confused right now :cry:

Comments

• drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Wikipedia has a perfect visual demonstration of what this means in that first image you see there of the cobblestone. Imagine that the labels are "S6" on the left, and "Note 4" on the right (instead of Trilinear and Anisotropic, respectively). Without anisotropic filtering, the ground details blur as you start to view it from extreme angles, whereas anisotropic filtering helps avoid this.

It's up to the dev whether each individual texture actually uses anisotropic filtering (and how much), and in general it's not wise to have a lot of anisotropic filtering done in the first place since it does come with a performance hit on mobile. But, for things like the ground or hallway walls, it's usually a pretty useful feature.

I don't know why the S6 doesn't have this -- seems like a fairly basic thing in modern graphics! Best thing we can do is design around it or try not to rely on it.
  • MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    I know WHAT it is. Thats why i am so shocked its not there! ;)
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    Maybe the Adreno GPU is better than the Mali in that regard but atleast the Mali can handle Lollipop correctly ;)
    Art3mis
    HomerS66 wrote:
    Maybe the Adreno GPU is better than the Mali in that regard but atleast the Mali can handle Lollipop correctly ;)

But if it´s a "Mali" thing, shouldn't the Exquinos N4 then ALSO have no ATF? :?:
  • HomerS66HomerS66 Posts: 1,365
    Brain Burst
    HomerS66 wrote:

But if it´s a "Mali" thing, shouldn't the Exquinos N4 then ALSO have no ATF? :?:

I dont know, does the Exynos N4 have ATF?
    Art3mis
    HomerS66 wrote:
    HomerS66 wrote:

I dont know, does the Exynos N4 have ATF?

It clearly says "The S6 does not support anisotropic texture filtering." Not Mali - just "S6"
  • 8bit8bit Posts: 94 Oculus Start Member
    Moved my post into "Mobile Development" area, since it is very dev specific.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=30732