cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Article on Rift and it's tracking.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
With all the Vive articles and reviews being posted lately i feel like chiming in with a very positive article on the rift and it's tracking capabilities.

http://www.gizmag.com/oculus-rift-revie ... gdc/42311/
54 REPLIES 54

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
"davidjc" wrote:
Well you do realize that the Constellation is a totally different tracking solution I suppose. There are like dozens of cameras on the Vive and the controllers. And the lighthouse paints the entire room with lasers. So the cameras(sensors) on the Vive will always see some sort of laser pattern hitting the walls, ceiling, etc. There is almost no occlusion unless you try to cover deliberately sensors on the headset and the controllers (like tuck the controller under your arm or something).

Occlusion is pretty huge here.

Sorry but you don't understand how the lighthouse works. It doesn't read patterns on the walls, and reflections are explicitly disallowed in the setup instructions (ie you are required to cover all reflective surfaces).

It is line of sight from lighthouse to IR receiver with a laser sweep. When the sweep hits a receiver on the headset or controller it registers a position. See this video:

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
"Atmos73" wrote:
"Zoomie" wrote:

The CV1 HMD will do 360 with high precision with one camera.
Full stop. No question.

So for 360 room scale with no occlusion do I need 1, 2 or 4 cameras?

Depends on whether you are using touch or not. :lol:

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
"Atmos73" wrote:
So for 360 room scale with no occlusion do I need 1, 2 or 4 cameras?

Occlusion is still possible with only 2 cameras. Face your back to one camera and line up your hands with the other camera, one behind the other, thereby blocking line of sight.

[CAMERA] --- [You] [Hand1] [Hand2] --- [CAMERA]

Hand1 now has no tracking.

davidjc
Honored Guest
"Mr.Creepy" wrote:
"davidjc" wrote:
Well you do realize that the Constellation is a totally different tracking solution I suppose. There are like dozens of cameras on the Vive and the controllers. And the lighthouse paints the entire room with lasers. So the cameras(sensors) on the Vive will always see some sort of laser pattern hitting the walls, ceiling, etc. There is almost no occlusion unless you try to cover deliberately sensors on the headset and the controllers (like tuck the controller under your arm or something).

Doesn't lighthouse work by the light emitted from the lighthouse hitting the sensor on the headset? I believe so, and that leaves it susceptible to occlusion.

Except that the whole room is lit up with the lasers. Can you occlude an entire room? Not really possible. So its not susceptible to occlusion unless you get a towel and wrap it around the controller or something. The tracking volume of the vive is 15 by 15 feet. And covers to at least so that you can hold the controllers over your head and probably still some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubW6Pxlm7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDOVa82SKNI

rogueqd
Protege
"davidjc" wrote:
Yeah but the Oculus has one or two cameras. It can see only whats in front of you. If you turn around and it cannot see the lights on the touch controllers because your body is blocking it then it will lose tracking.
True, but only in Oculus's 180 configuration. Placing the cameras in opposing corners gives it the Rift the same occlusion as the Vive. Ok, the length of the USB cables does make 360 placement more difficult.

"davidjc" wrote:
And vive put laser emitters all over the walls by using the Lighthouse boxes to illuminate everything in 15ft x 15ft (or greater) area. ... The vive controllers and headset sees all around it and only has to see a wall, floor, or ceiling with the laser pattern on it.
No, the Vive only has two laser emitters not "emitters all over the walls". The sensors on the Vive and controllers have to have direct line of sight to one of the two emitters. The occlusion is exactly the same as the Rift.

davidjc
Honored Guest
"JakemanOculus" wrote:
"davidjc" wrote:

Sorry but you don't understand how the lighthouse works. It doesn't read patterns on the walls, and reflections are explicitly disallowed in the setup instructions (ie you are required to cover all reflective surfaces).

It is line of sight from lighthouse to IR receiver with a laser sweep. When the sweep hits a receiver on the headset or controller it registers a position. See this video:

It reads the light patterns in the room, the lasers fill the room. There is no occlusion issues. But keep deceiving yourself if you want to.

Another video, I mean honestly try to be honest with yourself. These guys are pushing the Vive tracking beyond its limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4UlShicgY

Honestly I'm done here. It's silly. Lighthouse > Constellation. I can see how its open to discussion.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
"davidjc" wrote:
It reads the light patterns in the room, the lasers fill the room. There is no occlusion issues. But keep deceiving yourself if you want to.

Another video, I mean honestly try to be honest with yourself. These guys are pushing the Vive tracking beyond its limits.

Honestly I'm done here. It's silly. Lighthouse > Constellation. I can see how its open to discussion.

Just go away then, you don't even know how the Vive lighthouse technology works.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
"davidjc" wrote:
"Mr.Creepy" wrote:
"davidjc" wrote:

Doesn't lighthouse work by the light emitted from the lighthouse hitting the sensor on the headset? I believe so, and that leaves it susceptible to occlusion.

Except that the whole room is lit up with the lasers. Can you occlude an entire room? Not really possible. So its not susceptible to occlusion unless you get a towel and wrap it around the controller or something. The tracking volume of the vive is 15 by 15 feet. And covers to at least so that you can hold the controllers over your head and probably still some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubW6Pxlm7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDOVa82SKNI

You don't understand how it works.

Try this... put the lighthouse behind an object such that the Vive has no line of sight but can only see reflections on the walls. Then you will understand that it doesn't work.

When you understand that the lighthouse is still based on line of sight you will realize that "volume" is not a relevant basis of comparison.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
"davidjc" wrote:

You will note that they always have line of sight. There is no wall reading.

davidjc
Honored Guest
"JakemanOculus" wrote:

You don't understand how it works.

Try this... put the lighthouse behind an object such that the Vive has no line of sight but can only see reflections on the walls. Then you will understand that it doesn't work.

When you understand that the lighthouse is still based on line of sight you will realize that "volume" is not a relevant basis of comparison.

Actually I do understand how this works and I believe you are just playing stupid. The lasers sweep the room. The entire 15 by 15 ft volume of the room. So at any point the cameras will see the laser sweeps.

Volume absolutely is crucial. I thing you are just trying to play stupid, troll, and obfuscate things here. If you are emotionally attached to Oculus then so be it. But it's certainly not worth my time to play this game.