cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closeup with Vive lenses (image)

Karmeck
Explorer
http://imgur.com/a/5gPLC

Not my images. Shows some screen door effect. But I was told then the image move and you move it become less obvious.
30 REPLIES 30

richhard1
Protege
Oh no, not the comparison videos, there's so many on youtube of ps4 vs PC vs xbone. None of it really matters at all, it's all about the experience. gameplay, and immersiveness. 
i
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

VizionVR
Rising Star

richhard1 said:

Oh no, not the comparison videos, there's so many on youtube of ps4 vs PC vs xbone. None of it really matters at all, it's all about the experience. gameplay, and immersiveness. 
i

Not a video per se, I trust ThreeDeeVision to simply report any findings. Video proves nothing.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

DLC1
Expert Protege
I experienced a vive demo in Portland Or. last summer, I tried the demo of the ship wreck, the painting demo, the robotic lab demo, I never noticed any screen door effect, in fact it looked amazing to me, I swore id be first in line for a vive after the demo, ultimately decided on a rift. ive followed rift from the beginning and felt that possibly rift has more enthusiastic support behind it to succeed.... I do feel though both headsets will be amazing, I 100% can say after trying vive first hand its really amazing, I'm expecting rift to be the same. 

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Both of these headsets are amazing considering where this technology was a mere 5 years ago.  This was discussed months ago, but the benefits of higher pixel density have been largely maxed-out for computer and cell phone screens.  The new driving force is going to be VR.  The same could probably be said for video-cards, but not to the same degree.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

bp2008
Protege
Kind of looks like Gear VR.  Though I think it is mostly the obvious pentile pixel layout making me say that.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I get the feeling SDE is going to be less of an issue than pure information density.  When playing racing or flying games, the largest problem is trying to see things far away like an enemy fighter or the turn at the end of a long straight section.  Until now, SDE appeared to be the factor limiting our ability to see high detail.  Now with SDE mostly gone, people will realize that it's the overall resolution of the device limiting our perception.

I can see this being the big selling point of CV2 for both companies.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Anonymous
Not applicable
If everyone is actually that worried about the Screen Door Effect, then I advise you get a pair of these. Wear them for a week or two, everyday, and then when you put on your favorite HMD, the SDE will be unbelievably good compared to the real world   😉

ku9rdnq5wr4y.jpg

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Gotta admit I think it looks great. Way better than dk2 and perfect for gen1 VR
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
How can you judge the SDE in this way??? If you're looking at these images from a small screen you will seem zero SDE, if you're looking at the same images on a 84-inch screen it will seem to have a much bigger SDE. The entire idea of this post seems so silly to me...

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Yes and no.  Zoom the photo of the holodeck arch.  You can clearly see the SDE there.  This gives a sense of the width of the SDE compared to pixel size. You can also get a feel for the focal 'sweet spot' of the Vive, which looks similar to the DK2, at least for me.