cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consant dizziness for the past few days - A little concern

youmenow1
Honored Guest
Hello Oculus VR dev community.

For your information, I am a 17 year old part time hobbyist Dev who recently received my rift on the 15th this month. All was going good on the first day, there were a few instances where the eye cups and brightness/contrast settings were incorrectly setup, but to my surprise, I received absolutely zero motion sickness over the multiple demos I tried, and the only form of sickness that occurred was very slight sensation of dizziness or the common (reality disconnect feeling) you get after usage.

Then arrived the second day, many things were now setup correctly and I was ready to get back into it, the only problem was the fact I ignored the many warning signs that were listed on the manual. In my ignorance, I gathered I knew how to correctly manage the headset and reduce motion sickness, but when I realized I didn't receive any form of motion sickness, I was too impatient and excited to correctly read the warning labels within the manual itself. This is when things occurred that may have lead to my state over the past few days. I at stages began feeling a slight sensation of dizziness throughout a few of the demos, more so within mirrors edge, which I played for longer than I probably should due to its unreliable head-tracking and frame-rate issues. Then after this, I began tampering with minecrift and its IPD setting...

Gathering the IPD was incorrectly setup due to a sometimes unnoticeable sense of depth and 3d, I began adjusting the ipd setting from 63 to the high 70's. Oblivious to my actual IPD range, when I found the sense of 3d improved upon increasing it into the 70's, I kept it like this for around 20 minutes, that is until my eyes became a little uncomfortable. I then went on to correctly measuring my ipd via the mirror trick, and clocked in at around 64.8mm. I corrected the ipd setting asap and went on into the remainder of the night. As the night progressed, I began feeling somewhat tired, but did I stop? Did I listen or even read the warnings within the manual? Unfortunately not, and I continued to endure throughout Mirrors edge sessions, HL2 sessions, Minecrift sessions and you name it.

Now things started getting very late and I was about to just about to retire to bed... Until my War thunder download finished. I opened her up, and played for around a further 20mins, in some cases doing air stunts, flips and flying upside down (all while reasonably tired). Finally this is where I decided that was enough, I shut my computer down, and went off to sleep.

When I woke in the morning (Wed, 17 of July), I had very minimal sleep and found myself quite dizzy. I went off to school, and throughout one of my early classes, I felt like such crap to the point I just had to go home. The sensation of the dizziness was very similar to a post rift marathon feeling many seem to get, that feeling part of them is still in the virtual world and there exists a subtle disconnect between the eyes and other limbs/senses, except in my case, the sensation continued to go on for a few days, and slowly decline late thursday-friday (not completely).

I have seen a doctor to check for anything else that may be contributing to it, and funnily enough, he knew what the rift actually is (and asked me how it was ;D). He ended up finding little else, and merely suggested I remain unexposed to it for the next week or so and see how I feel. As I sit here, I have a minor headache and still a very (small) amount of that dizziness/light-head sensation. This has rendered me unable to touch the rift for the past 3 days, and its got me a little concerned (no, not for being unable to rift)... Has anyone else here gone through these symptoms? Is this a result of immoderate rift usage? Is there potentially something health related that exaggerated these symptoms? Will these symptoms continue in future rift sessions? Could these symptoms effect others and therefore the success of VR? Only time will tell, but I heavily doubt im the only one who went this intense first up, and one things for sure, I certainly wont be continuing with this intensity and stupidity while rifting anytime soon.

So if anyone is willing to share their knowledge or thoughts, please do. As stated before, I am a little concerned with the experience that resulted over the past few days, and I certainly hope it doesn't occur again, either to me or someone else. If you have a potential idea or question as to the cause, please speak up, otherwise, thanks for reading and have a nice day.

All input is appreciated.
- youmenow1

TLDR: I have had continuous dizziness and light-headedness (Not motion-sickness) over the past few days post an intense rift session while both tired and low on sleep. (Refer to bold text/questions)

EDIT: After reading multiple other posts, it seems tiredness may have had a big factor on the result of these symptoms.

EDIT 2: Sorry for the Motion sickness/Dizziness thread spam, but I thought my case was a bit outside the ordinary and large to post within one of the already setup motion sickness threads.
22 REPLIES 22

KBK
Protege
My thoughts are that your mind and wiring are trying to deal with TWO sets of data. like learning a new language, except far more complex, deeper and more fundamental, across multiple senses.

Which one are you speaking right now?

If the rift is set up differently than your normal perception, then you are engaging a growing branch of a secondary path.

We're talking right down in the root wiring, sensory mix and basic learning. The kind we do when trying to learn how to see, in the earliest days, even when our eyes are developing. then the basics of learning limb movement and operation. Physical balance, and so on.

Think about it...Don't try to force that. Slow it down.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

bp2008
Protege
When you get back in to it, try TF2's calibration tool to measure your IPD. It will likely be much more accurate that way.

youmenow1
Honored Guest
"KBK" wrote:
My thoughts are that your mind and wiring are trying to deal with TWO sets of data. like learning a new language, except far more complex, deeper and more fundamental, across multiple senses.

If the rift is set up differently than your normal perception, then you are engaging a growing branch of a secondary path.

We're talking right down in the root wiring, sensory mix and basic learning. The kind we do when trying to learn how to see, in the earliest days, even when our eyes are developing. then the basics of learning limb movement and operation. Physical balance, and so on.

Thank you for your valuable input (and yours too bp2008). Yeah this is what I was thinking to do once I get back into the swing of things; the only trouble is due to the lack of motion sickness, It is a little harder to know when i'm going overboard.

I will probably need to instantly have a break as soon as I feel a sense of slight dizziness, tiredness or queezyness come on, just anything to avoid this horrible past few day experience will be worthy. I will probably also need to refrain from the more intense rift activities it seems.

MannyLectro
Explorer
I had a chance to try the rift for 5 hours straight few weeks ago and it only made me feel a bit sick for a day or so. But since then I have found myself more sensible to motion sickness in real life. it might be related.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

KBK
Protege
"youmenow1" wrote:
"KBK" wrote:

Thank you for your valuable input (and yours too bp2008). Yeah this is what I was thinking to do once I get back into the swing of things; the only trouble is due to the lack of motion sickness, It is a little harder to know when i'm going overboard.

I will probably need to instantly have a break as soon as I feel a sense of slight dizziness, tiredness or queezyness come on, just anything to avoid this horrible past few day experience will be worthy. I will probably also need to refrain from the more intense rift activities it seems.

That is what I'm doing. I'm instantly taking a break, when I begin to feel any slight queasiness. And I'm not going back to it, until much time as passed. I feel the beginning of the queasiness,---and I'm done for the day.

Trying to 'burn your way though it' is, IMO, a major mistake.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

darren
Honored Guest
If you blame anything in your life's condition on a device that you chose to put on your head, here's my recommendation: Don't put it on your head.
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft

360FOV
Honored Guest
You seem to show a strong discrepancy between your measured IPD of 44.8mm and the actual IPD that gives you a good stereo effect -70mm. I think your IPD of when you actually start seeing the 3d is more accurate. With such conflicting measurements I think that you should have your IPD measured professionally.
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

zacherynuk
Explorer
Just sounds like you were wired n tired mate.

Sleep more, chill and de-stress.

When I go boating I feel the motion of the sea it in my bed for days
When I play a long session of a fast FPS online I twitch in my sleep
When I play a long session of a RPG (eg: NWN / oblivion) I do all sorts
When I played my first play single session challenge (to enjoy not a speed-run) (HL1 one in 22 hours) I felt terrible for several days.
Don't get me started on cigarettes, ale and kebabs....

Just take it easy... (goodnight) 🙂

sammaz
Honored Guest
SAME HERE. 20\20 vision, no abnormalities

I had mine for 72 hours and really dived into it. I had the exact same experience as you. slight dizzyness, but my eyes were "bouncing" they could not maintain focus after using the Rift.

I sold on Craigslist quickly for 300.00 and kept in-touch with the buyer. He also experienced the exact same thing in the proceeding days.

So here we are ...unable to use the device without fearing for our health. This is not good.

I think Oculus needs to re-design the unit drastically. There can not be magnification of a focal point without strain. It may happen in the first 20 mins or it may take a week but ALL users will experince the same thing that we did eventually.

720p Rift = Epic Fail :roll: