cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what do we know about Touch? When will it ship, how much will it cost?

yahknow1
Protege
Does anyone have answers other than 2h 2016? Or is it all speculation at this point?
i7-5960X@4.3Ghz / ASUS X99-E WS / CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 /SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series 256GB (SSD) / CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme / EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80 PLUS GOLD / MSI Radeon R9 390X
11 REPLIES 11

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
All the known information is what's on the Oculus site.

maxpare79
Trustee
Can we get 3 or 4 days before jumping on this topic lol
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

yahknow1
Protege
yea with all the videos showing how well oculus tracks for room-scale, got me jones'n for controllers
i7-5960X@4.3Ghz / ASUS X99-E WS / CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 /SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series 256GB (SSD) / CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme / EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80 PLUS GOLD / MSI Radeon R9 390X

comixcroz
Expert Protege
I have a feeling that the decision to wait on releasing them until later was (partially) for price appearance.   I think  the Touch controllers would have pushed that $600 price up to the $800 VIVE price point and therefore the competitive advantage the Rift has in that arena would have gone bye bye.  

It's actually brilliant.  The hype and excitement also gets revived when the touch controllers come out and it's a completely different product and price.  Psychologically it will make it a lot easier for gamers to buy them as the $600 they spent months ago is already long gone.  

Maxxgold
Rising Star
 comixcroz said:

I have a feeling that the decision to wait on releasing them until later was (partially) for price appearance.   I think  the Touch controllers would have pushed that $600 price up to the $800 VIVE price point and therefore the competitive advantage the Rift has in that arena would have gone bye bye.  

It's actually brilliant.  The hype and excitement also gets revived when the touch controllers come out and it's a completely different product and price.  Psychologically it will make it a lot easier for gamers to buy them as the $600 they spent months ago is already long gone.  

I agree with you on the marketing but I feel like we get so much more with our 600 dollars than Vive purchasers get. We get an Xbox One controller with the wireless dongle that works on Windows 10. That is a 90 dollar value. Then  you throw in 3 games worth another 100 dollars and the price of the Rift seems very reasonable. All you get extra with your Vive is some large Sony Move type controllers and "Job Simulator" :smile: 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maxxgold said:

comixcroz said:

I agree with you on the marketing but I feel like we get so much more with our 600 dollars than Vive purchasers get. We get an Xbox One controller with the wireless dongle that works on Windows 10. That is a 90 dollar value. Then  you throw in 3 games worth another 100 dollars and the price of the Rift seems very reasonable. All you get extra with your Vive is some large Sony Move type controllers and "Job Simulator" :smile: 

Depends how much the Touch controllers end up costing. I suspect they won't be cheap. $200 absolute minimum is my guess.

Maxxgold
Rising Star

notsram said:

Maxxgold said:

comixcroz said:

Depends how much the Touch controllers end up costing. I suspect they won't be cheap. $200 absolute minimum is my guess.

Yeah, you could be right. I'm okay with 200 though. I think the touch controllers are going to be incredible compared to the Vive controllers. Everything my dev friends have told me leads me to believe that assumption. And like I said above, when you throw in all the extra stuff, it's pretty reasonable. Well reasonable for me anyways.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maxxgold said:

notsram said:

Maxxgold said:

comixcroz said:

Yeah, you could be right. I'm okay with 200 though. I think the touch controllers are going to be incredible compared to the Vive controllers. Everything my dev friends have told me leads me to believe that assumption. And like I said above, when you throw in all the extra stuff, it's pretty reasonable. Well reasonable for me anyways.

Yeah, what I've seen of Touch is the main reason I'm going for Rift instead of Vive (depending on when my Rift actually arrives...). But, if it's too expensive, I simply won't bother. It's not coming out for months and by then, there will almost certainly have been announcements of new, competing systems.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I'm going to hazard a guess that those who have pre-ordered the Rift will get the Touch controllers at a discounted rate compared to those who buy them later on.

Just a hunch.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.