Show Off Your Rift Setup [Photos Inside] — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Show Off Your Rift Setup [Photos Inside]

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
edited March 2016 in General
So, some people may have received their Rifts today. Many more will receive this week and beyond. I figured I'd kick off a thread for people to post photos of their new Rift or their Rift setups. I'll start with mine.

This is just the Kickstarter Edition box. Nothing you probably haven't seen before, but still such an impressive looking box. Hats off to the design team for coming up with something so sleek.

This is a flexible tripod arm I got to mount the tracking sensor on. You may not know, but the sensor twists off at two lengths, one at the base and one almost at the top. I screwed it off the top thread and attached it to this $15 flexible tripod.
http://www.amazon.com/Smatree®-Ajustable-Gooseneck-Extension-Cameras/dp/B00MWNYGUS

Just went through Dreamdeck and some of Dead Secret. It's so good. I've even done Dreamdeck at least like 3 or 4 times before, but somehow it was just way better finally seeing on my home rig. The part with the alien almost seemed real. Can't wait to try some of the other content for longer sessions (as for work I can usually only test for shorter periods).

Please feel free to share your setup too!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    Jelly to the max man!! Have fun with it :)
  • This is my setup, that's a DK2... My country is not listed... This is a protest. ;) eheh
    I really hope i dont have to wait until 2017 to get my hands on the CV1 :#
  • ZeroThreatZeroThreat Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2016
    Nice Sensor mount Cyber. Gonna use that idea too so I can attach it on the side of my desk. I don't have much desk real estate available. Great tip! I'll update with pic once I get my rift, I'm a 27er

Now, I wish there was a type of oculus rift stand.
  • K33LK33L Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Hey cyber, what length of hdmi and usb extenders and all do you recommend, or anyone who has it all set up, just when you all get some time to respond please!
  • jxburrosjxburros Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    I'm not setting up my space until the Rift ships.  Right now my PC makes a really good $850 Netflix box.
    VRgin - CV1 (March shipment)
  • MisterNegativeMisterNegative Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    This is a flexible tripod arm I got to mount the tracking sensor on. You may not know, but the sensor twists off at two lengths, one at the base and one almost at the top. I screwed it off the top thread and attached it to this $15 flexible tripod.
    http://www.amazon.com/Smatree®-Ajustable-Gooseneck-Extension-Cameras/dp/B00MWNYGUS
    *woah woah woah*

No joke, you just made my day. I would have had no idea that was possible until, at best, I had my CV1 unboxed.  
    I have my 2 monitors mounted so center of the primary 27" is at center of my view when seated, and the other monitor angled in on the right also mounted the same way. They extend out just a foot and a half from the front of the desk, right behind the keyboard and mouse. I had no idea how the heck I was going to transition from webcam style camera to the desk stand. Clicking, buying, thanking you!!!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited March 2016
    K33L said:
    Hey cyber, what length of hdmi and usb extenders and all do you recommend, or anyone who has it all set up, just when you all get some time to respond please!
    So extenders aren't exactly officially supported as depending on the quality or length it could introduce additional latency or just not work at all. However, I'm using 10 foot passive HDMI and USB extenders and they seem to work working fine for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ517VI
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7SA21U
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited March 2016
    @StreetPreacher I can't tell if that's real or you're joking on me, but I like it!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,809 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm with cyber !!! I can't tell if we gone back to the 90's or you have something super special in that case :) please tell us your specs ?

Tony
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    There is just one thing here, I don't believe in any of you. All those gaming rigs are on desks and area's that are simply to clean!! So i call fake on all of them :p
  • jxburrosjxburros Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    This is beautiful.
    VRgin - CV1 (March shipment)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,809 Volunteer Moderator
    Superb !!! I would never have guessed in a zillion years what was in there !!! Burglars would take one look and walk past :) excellent!

Tony
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    edited March 2016
    I'm all ready!  just built my new Oculus Rift ready PC, setup some playspace, and I'm already downloading some games in preparation!

Now just the matter of waiting for an update on my preorder... :(
    wow that case is vintage :wink: burglar proof for sure
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • This is a flexible tripod arm I got to mount the tracking sensor on. You may not know, but the sensor twists off at two lengths, one at the base and one almost at the top. I screwed it off the top thread and attached it to this $15 flexible tripod.
    *woah woah woah*

No joke, you just made my day. I would have had no idea that was possible until, at best, I had my CV1 unboxed.  
    I have my 2 monitors mounted so center of the primary 27" is at center of my view when seated, and the other monitor angled in on the right also mounted the same way. They extend out just a foot and a half from the front of the desk, right behind the keyboard and mouse. I had no idea how the heck I was going to transition from webcam style camera to the desk stand. Clicking, buying, thanking you!!!
    Heck yeah!!!  I was wondering if something like this would be possible.  Thank you so much for posting this!!!
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    K33L said:
    Cable extenders are not a problem, current travel at a speed close to light. In order to add 1ms latency, you need a cable that is like 300km long…

Problems with long long cable,while they zigzag in your home from source to destination, you have a higher chance to catch interference by passing close to a strong magnetic field from an other source, but for VR that extension is likely to be to hang on the floor for standing experience no ?

Second problem, with long cable , the resistance increase and the signal current diminish, this is only a problem if you reach a length that need an active repeater to increase the signal strength, a thing that yes, will insert some latency for sure (how much i cannot tell).

So as long as you use a passive extension, a bare cable, and it is just to lay on the floor while moving around, it is 100% guarantee to not be a problem at all :)
  • Roming22Roming22 Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    galopin said:

So as long as you use a passive extension, a bare cable, and it is just to lay on the floor while moving around, it is 100% guarantee to not be a problem at all :)
    In theory yes. But there are shitty cables out there, including some that can damage your hardware:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/

So, Oculus takes the cautious approach not to officially support extensions (which makes sense because they cannot vet them all), but to report that it is known to work.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
    Damn @StreetPreacher, I thought I was minimal, superb! I assume you don't use the same chair when sitting at the steering wheel though
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    edited March 2016
    @lordvtp, did you find out where the CV1 LEDs are before positioning the leapmotion? I've been looking for a layout
    *EDIT, I can see them in the photo, thanks
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    Damn @StreetPreacher, I thought I was minimal, superb! I assume you don't use the same chair when sitting at the steering wheel though
    Thanks for the compliments guys!  

The case started its life as a Pentium II with 500MB of ram,  Soundblaster Live, ATi tv capture card, and a kickass Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 TNT2 Ultra GPU!

The old parts are all for sale if anyone is looking to upgrade :)

And no, the high chair isn't for racing sims :).  The PC is also connected to a 106" 3D Vision DLP projector setup in another room which is where most of the current gaming is done.  This room was setup with VR in mind, hence the minimal 'desk' area which leaves more space for Rifting!
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    Thanks for the compliments guys!  

The case started its life as a Pentium II with 500MB of ram, A soundblaster Live, ATi tv capture card, and a kickass Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 TNT2 Ultra GPU!

The old parts are all for sale if anyone is looking to upgrade :)
    OMG a TNT2 that takes me back! lol
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 300
    Nexus 6
    @cybereality , I have been thinking about how to do the same thing given that I have a 3 monitor setup. If you wanted to connect the full pole length could you make it taller? My desk is the only place I can clamp to. My monitor stand it hella fat.
    you know we're in trouble when we get nostalgic over pcb's
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    you know we're in trouble when we get nostalgic over pcb's
    Yep, I had a nice walk down GPU memory lane recently, it's been fun watching the technology evolve!
    There were some other cards between the TNT2 and GTX 970, but these are all that I held onto :)
    @cybereality , I have been thinking about how to do the same thing given that I have a 3 monitor setup. If you wanted to connect the full pole length could you make it taller? My desk is the only place I can clamp to. My monitor stand it hella fat.
    You could technically mount with the full sensor pole, though then I guess it could result in less stability. I did try it initially like this just to see, and it felt a little flimsy. May be better to try to find a longer tripod arm.
  • CSHokieCSHokie Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm all ready!  just built my new Oculus Rift ready PC, setup some playspace, and I'm already downloading some games in preparation!

Now just the matter of waiting for an update on my preorder... :(
    It's clearly Oculus ready. Love the oculus sticker.