cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Off Your Rift Setup [Photos Inside]

cybereality
Grand Champion
So, some people may have received their Rifts today. Many more will receive this week and beyond. I figured I'd kick off a thread for people to post photos of their new Rift or their Rift setups. I'll start with mine.

This is just the Kickstarter Edition box. Nothing you probably haven't seen before, but still such an impressive looking box. Hats off to the design team for coming up with something so sleek.

ij5xj5xx6cwo.jpg
vkwc648865af.jpg
f3zojibzsn8h.jpg

This is a flexible tripod arm I got to mount the tracking sensor on. You may not know, but the sensor twists off at two lengths, one at the base and one almost at the top. I screwed it off the top thread and attached it to this $15 flexible tripod.
http://www.amazon.com/Smatree%C2%AE-Ajustable-Gooseneck-Extension-Cameras/dp/B00MWNYGUS

9s8nbihrjir5.jpg
aoshatigiazg.jpg
uibhtbfdnexl.jpg

Just went through Dreamdeck and some of Dead Secret. It's so good. I've even done Dreamdeck at least like 3 or 4 times before, but somehow it was just way better finally seeing on my home rig. The part with the alien almost seemed real. Can't wait to try some of the other content for longer sessions (as for work I can usually only test for shorter periods).

Please feel free to share your setup too!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
232 REPLIES 232

Roming22
Adventurer

galopin said:

So as long as you use a passive extension, a bare cable, and it is just to lay on the floor while moving around, it is 100% guarantee to not be a problem at all 🙂

In theory yes. But there are shitty cables out there, including some that can damage your hardware:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-...

So, Oculus takes the cautious approach not to officially support extensions (which makes sense because they cannot vet them all), but to report that it is known to work.

Damn @StreetPreacher, I thought I was minimal, superb! I assume you don't use the same chair when sitting at the steering wheel though

lordvtp
Protege

My life is now complete!  (5820k machine with 980ti and 3x 28 inch 1440's to go with the rift)

w0azh3te8gmw.jpg

@lordvtp, did you find out where the CV1 LEDs are before positioning the leapmotion? I've been looking for a layout
*EDIT, I can see them in the photo, thanks

StreetPreacher
Adventurer

Damn @StreetPreacher, I thought I was minimal, superb! I assume you don't use the same chair when sitting at the steering wheel though

Thanks for the compliments guys!  

The case started its life as a Pentium II with 500MB of ram,  Soundblaster Live, ATi tv capture card, and a kickass Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 TNT2 Ultra GPU!

The old parts are all for sale if anyone is looking to upgrade 🙂

And no, the high chair isn't for racing sims :).  The PC is also connected to a 106" 3D Vision DLP projector setup in another room which is where most of the current gaming is done.  This room was setup with VR in mind, hence the minimal 'desk' area which leaves more space for Rifting!

maxpare79
Trustee

Thanks for the compliments guys!  

The case started its life as a Pentium II with 500MB of ram, A soundblaster Live, ATi tv capture card, and a kickass Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 TNT2 Ultra GPU!

The old parts are all for sale if anyone is looking to upgrade 🙂

OMG a TNT2 that takes me back! lol
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Jokergod2000
Adventurer
@cybereality , I have been thinking about how to do the same thing given that I have a 3 monitor setup. If you wanted to connect the full pole length could you make it taller? My desk is the only place I can clamp to. My monitor stand it hella fat.

you know we're in trouble when we get nostalgic over pcb's

StreetPreacher
Adventurer

you know we're in trouble when we get nostalgic over pcb's

Yep, I had a nice walk down GPU memory lane recently, it's been fun watching the technology evolve!
There were some other cards between the TNT2 and GTX 970, but these are all that I held onto 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion

@cybereality , I have been thinking about how to do the same thing given that I have a 3 monitor setup. If you wanted to connect the full pole length could you make it taller? My desk is the only place I can clamp to. My monitor stand it hella fat.

You could technically mount with the full sensor pole, though then I guess it could result in less stability. I did try it initially like this just to see, and it felt a little flimsy. May be better to try to find a longer tripod arm.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV