New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Consant dizziness for the past few days - A little concern

youmenow1youmenow1 Posts: 14
NerveGear
edited July 2013 in General
Hello Oculus VR dev community.

For your information, I am a 17 year old part time hobbyist Dev who recently received my rift on the 15th this month. All was going good on the first day, there were a few instances where the eye cups and brightness/contrast settings were incorrectly setup, but to my surprise, I received absolutely zero motion sickness over the multiple demos I tried, and the only form of sickness that occurred was very slight sensation of dizziness or the common (reality disconnect feeling) you get after usage.

Then arrived the second day, many things were now setup correctly and I was ready to get back into it, the only problem was the fact I ignored the many warning signs that were listed on the manual. In my ignorance, I gathered I knew how to correctly manage the headset and reduce motion sickness, but when I realized I didn't receive any form of motion sickness, I was too impatient and excited to correctly read the warning labels within the manual itself. This is when things occurred that may have lead to my state over the past few days. I at stages began feeling a slight sensation of dizziness throughout a few of the demos, more so within mirrors edge, which I played for longer than I probably should due to its unreliable head-tracking and frame-rate issues. Then after this, I began tampering with minecrift and its IPD setting...

Gathering the IPD was incorrectly setup due to a sometimes unnoticeable sense of depth and 3d, I began adjusting the ipd setting from 63 to the high 70's. Oblivious to my actual IPD range, when I found the sense of 3d improved upon increasing it into the 70's, I kept it like this for around 20 minutes, that is until my eyes became a little uncomfortable. I then went on to correctly measuring my ipd via the mirror trick, and clocked in at around 64.8mm. I corrected the ipd setting asap and went on into the remainder of the night. As the night progressed, I began feeling somewhat tired, but did I stop? Did I listen or even read the warnings within the manual? Unfortunately not, and I continued to endure throughout Mirrors edge sessions, HL2 sessions, Minecrift sessions and you name it.

Now things started getting very late and I was about to just about to retire to bed... Until my War thunder download finished. I opened her up, and played for around a further 20mins, in some cases doing air stunts, flips and flying upside down (all while reasonably tired). Finally this is where I decided that was enough, I shut my computer down, and went off to sleep.

When I woke in the morning (Wed, 17 of July), I had very minimal sleep and found myself quite dizzy. I went off to school, and throughout one of my early classes, I felt like such crap to the point I just had to go home. The sensation of the dizziness was very similar to a post rift marathon feeling many seem to get, that feeling part of them is still in the virtual world and there exists a subtle disconnect between the eyes and other limbs/senses, except in my case, the sensation continued to go on for a few days, and slowly decline late thursday-friday (not completely).

I have seen a doctor to check for anything else that may be contributing to it, and funnily enough, he knew what the rift actually is (and asked me how it was ;D). He ended up finding little else, and merely suggested I remain unexposed to it for the next week or so and see how I feel. As I sit here, I have a minor headache and still a very (small) amount of that dizziness/light-head sensation. This has rendered me unable to touch the rift for the past 3 days, and its got me a little concerned (no, not for being unable to rift)... Has anyone else here gone through these symptoms? Is this a result of immoderate rift usage? Is there potentially something health related that exaggerated these symptoms? Will these symptoms continue in future rift sessions? Could these symptoms effect others and therefore the success of VR? Only time will tell, but I heavily doubt im the only one who went this intense first up, and one things for sure, I certainly wont be continuing with this intensity and stupidity while rifting anytime soon.

So if anyone is willing to share their knowledge or thoughts, please do. As stated before, I am a little concerned with the experience that resulted over the past few days, and I certainly hope it doesn't occur again, either to me or someone else. If you have a potential idea or question as to the cause, please speak up, otherwise, thanks for reading and have a nice day.

All input is appreciated.
- youmenow1

TLDR: I have had continuous dizziness and light-headedness (Not motion-sickness) over the past few days post an intense rift session while both tired and low on sleep. (Refer to bold text/questions)

EDIT: After reading multiple other posts, it seems tiredness may have had a big factor on the result of these symptoms.

EDIT 2: Sorry for the Motion sickness/Dizziness thread spam, but I thought my case was a bit outside the ordinary and large to post within one of the already setup motion sickness threads.

Comments

  • KBKKBK Posts: 983
    Art3mis
    My thoughts are that your mind and wiring are trying to deal with TWO sets of data. like learning a new language, except far more complex, deeper and more fundamental, across multiple senses.

    Which one are you speaking right now?

    If the rift is set up differently than your normal perception, then you are engaging a growing branch of a secondary path.

    We're talking right down in the root wiring, sensory mix and basic learning. The kind we do when trying to learn how to see, in the earliest days, even when our eyes are developing. then the basics of learning limb movement and operation. Physical balance, and so on.

    Think about it...Don't try to force that. Slow it down.
    Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
  • bp2008bp2008 Posts: 256
    Art3mis
    When you get back in to it, try TF2's calibration tool to measure your IPD. It will likely be much more accurate that way.
  • youmenow1youmenow1 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited July 2013
    KBK wrote:
    My thoughts are that your mind and wiring are trying to deal with TWO sets of data. like learning a new language, except far more complex, deeper and more fundamental, across multiple senses.

    Which one are you speaking right now?

    If the rift is set up differently than your normal perception, then you are engaging a growing branch of a secondary path.

    We're talking right down in the root wiring, sensory mix and basic learning. The kind we do when trying to learn how to see, in the earliest days, even when our eyes are developing. then the basics of learning limb movement and operation. Physical balance, and so on.

    Think about it...Don't try to force that. Slow it down.

    Thank you for your valuable input (and yours too bp2008). Yeah this is what I was thinking to do once I get back into the swing of things; the only trouble is due to the lack of motion sickness, It is a little harder to know when i'm going overboard.

    I will probably need to instantly have a break as soon as I feel a sense of slight dizziness, tiredness or queezyness come on, just anything to avoid this horrible past few day experience will be worthy. I will probably also need to refrain from the more intense rift activities it seems.
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had a chance to try the rift for 5 hours straight few weeks ago and it only made me feel a bit sick for a day or so. But since then I have found myself more sensible to motion sickness in real life. it might be related.
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
  • KBKKBK Posts: 983
    Art3mis
    youmenow1 wrote:
    KBK wrote:
    My thoughts are that your mind and wiring are trying to deal with TWO sets of data. like learning a new language, except far more complex, deeper and more fundamental, across multiple senses.

    Which one are you speaking right now?

    If the rift is set up differently than your normal perception, then you are engaging a growing branch of a secondary path.

    We're talking right down in the root wiring, sensory mix and basic learning. The kind we do when trying to learn how to see, in the earliest days, even when our eyes are developing. then the basics of learning limb movement and operation. Physical balance, and so on.

    Think about it...Don't try to force that. Slow it down.

    Thank you for your valuable input (and yours too bp2008). Yeah this is what I was thinking to do once I get back into the swing of things; the only trouble is due to the lack of motion sickness, It is a little harder to know when i'm going overboard.

    I will probably need to instantly have a break as soon as I feel a sense of slight dizziness, tiredness or queezyness come on, just anything to avoid this horrible past few day experience will be worthy. I will probably also need to refrain from the more intense rift activities it seems.


    That is what I'm doing. I'm instantly taking a break, when I begin to feel any slight queasiness. And I'm not going back to it, until much time as passed. I feel the beginning of the queasiness,---and I'm done for the day.

    Trying to 'burn your way though it' is, IMO, a major mistake.
    Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
  • darrendarren Posts: 251
    If you blame anything in your life's condition on a device that you chose to put on your head, here's my recommendation: Don't put it on your head.
    "Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft
  • 360FOV360FOV Posts: 476
    Hiro Protagonist
    You seem to show a strong discrepancy between your measured IPD of 44.8mm and the actual IPD that gives you a good stereo effect -70mm. I think your IPD of when you actually start seeing the 3d is more accurate. With such conflicting measurements I think that you should have your IPD measured professionally.
    “My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"
  • zacherynukzacherynuk Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just sounds like you were wired n tired mate.

    Sleep more, chill and de-stress.

    When I go boating I feel the motion of the sea it in my bed for days
    When I play a long session of a fast FPS online I twitch in my sleep
    When I play a long session of a RPG (eg: NWN / oblivion) I do all sorts
    When I played my first play single session challenge (to enjoy not a speed-run) (HL1 one in 22 hours) I felt terrible for several days.
    Don't get me started on cigarettes, ale and kebabs....

    Just take it easy... (goodnight) :)
  • sammazsammaz Posts: 31
    SAME HERE. 20\20 vision, no abnormalities

    I had mine for 72 hours and really dived into it. I had the exact same experience as you. slight dizzyness, but my eyes were "bouncing" they could not maintain focus after using the Rift.

    I sold on Craigslist quickly for 300.00 and kept in-touch with the buyer. He also experienced the exact same thing in the proceeding days.

    So here we are ...unable to use the device without fearing for our health. This is not good.

    I think Oculus needs to re-design the unit drastically. There can not be magnification of a focal point without strain. It may happen in the first 20 mins or it may take a week but ALL users will experince the same thing that we did eventually.

    720p Rift = Epic Fail :roll:
  • MrGeddingsMrGeddings Posts: 604
    Art3mis
    yeah thats a problem for some people. For those who may have that issue here is my tips

    TAKE IT SLOW! number, one. Start out with a scene like tuscany where you can just stay still and then slowly look around with your head. then stop.

    then keep trying it more at a time. you gotta ease into it. If you use the Rift for hours and hours the first day or two i am sure you may get problems like that. Lucklely i have no issues with that, but i think your brain needs to adjust to the new perception that the rift brings you.

    you may need to simply play games or demos that does not have a ton of movement. in minecraft you could go to say a creative server and just walk around. I think even if you have dizziness issues if you limit your time on the rift and what you do , you could still have fun. my grandmother has that issue but she viewed the rift for a few minutes and enjoyed it.

    it just takes some getting used to. and the problem with a lot of you teens is you like all that fast action so if you cant play a game like call of duty right away with the Rift you'll be let down.....but the rift to me is more about the experence.

    take it slow. youll get used to it. it just will take time. but you have to GO SLOW!
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    I hope you told your doc he can go test it! :D

    As everybody said, keep it slow. think how new this is for your brain and senses
  • nickzuccnickzucc Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    I felt a bit sick the first two days, then I guess your brain gets used to it after some time.

    It seems like what the poster above was suggesting... That your brain has to learn how to deal with two sets of data to interperet.. Well actually just one (non reality) Your brain knows there is something that just isnt quite right about reality.

    I wonder if the brain goes through something similar when you are under the influnce of (pick your posion.)

    Nevertheless this seems to disapate over time.
  • youmenow1youmenow1 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Frito wrote:
    I hope you told your doc he can go test it! :D

    As everybody said, keep it slow. think how new this is for your brain and senses

    I was so close to asking him :D ... And then it was too late :(, we were already going and I really wanted to get back in there and offer him a demo of some sorts :lol:.


    In other news, I seem to be getting mentally fatigued at a faster rate since using the rift. As of now (Saturday over here) I am still slightly light headed, but I find any form of somewhat intense thinking or activities causes me to tire rather quickly and receive a headache (more of a pulsing head sensation). I understand my brain is now dealing with a new kind of input, but the fact this is happening outside the virtual world since is interesting.

    Sorry to ask the same kind of question again, but can anyone else relate to this? I am just curious to see if I'm alone here or not.

    PS: I don't play Call of Duty :lol:
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    I'm on the same boat, it seems my brain is still trying to accept that both worlds/perceptions coexist, so I've been feeling very light headed and constantly find myself moving and tilting my head "Rift style" when looking around me, as if I'm constantly trying to perceive the real world with "rift eyes". I also found it harder to concentrate today. I changed the Rift panel brightness down to 0 (read about it here) and it seems to be helping me fight motion sickness, today was my third try and I didn't feel nearly as bad as the other days (still far from "fine", though). I also took an aspirin a few hours ago, dunno If it's making any difference Rift-wise but the pulsing head sensation seems to be gone. I'm also experiencing some issues which I'm still trying to find out if they are on the Rift, my computer setup or my head:
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2823
  • MangaCorpsMangaCorps Posts: 125
    "Kids this brings me to my next point..never smoke crack"












    jk :D
    {}\/{}anga
  • klasodethklasodeth Posts: 128
    Hiro Protagonist
    youmenow1 wrote:
    ...Gathering the IPD was incorrectly setup due to a sometimes unnoticeable sense of depth and 3d, I began adjusting the ipd setting from 63 to the high 70's. Oblivious to my actual IPD range, when I found the sense of 3d improved upon increasing it into the 70's, I kept it like this for around 20 minutes, that is until my eyes became a little uncomfortable. I then went on to correctly measuring my ipd via the mirror trick, and clocked in at around 44.8mm. I corrected the ipd setting asap and went on into the remainder of the night...
    Are you sure you measured your IPD correctly? 44.8mm sounds abnormally small. That would mean your pupils are about as far apart as a pair of nickels.
  • alexanderjalexanderj Posts: 65
    I'm really curious whether difficulty is the brain just trying to interpret two types of interface information or the stress of the brain absorbing interface information from each demo.

    I'm a very heavy gamer as far as volume of time spent playing video games and when I receive mine I'll try blowing through everything, too, and I'll try to document changes, etc.

    Amount of time I average gaming per week: 30-40 hours
    Types of games: FPS, RTS, RPG...
    I remember there once was a point at which staring at a monitor would hurt, but needless to say I'm well beyond that.
    Eyesight: -0.7 & -1.2
    Diet: Absolutely filthy and I overdose on candy vitamins
    Avg. Driving Hours/Week: 7 (I'll document effects on my driving, too)
  • youmenow1youmenow1 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited July 2013
    klasodeth wrote:
    youmenow1 wrote:
    ...Gathering the IPD was incorrectly setup due to a sometimes unnoticeable sense of depth and 3d, I began adjusting the ipd setting from 63 to the high 70's. Oblivious to my actual IPD range, when I found the sense of 3d improved upon increasing it into the 70's, I kept it like this for around 20 minutes, that is until my eyes became a little uncomfortable. I then went on to correctly measuring my ipd via the mirror trick, and clocked in at around 44.8mm. I corrected the ipd setting asap and went on into the remainder of the night...
    Are you sure you measured your IPD correctly? 44.8mm sounds abnormally small. That would mean your pupils are about as far apart as a pair of nickels.

    Excuse me for that error, heh. What I really meant to say was 64.8mm :P. Fixed.
  • dolomitedolomite Posts: 126
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had similar issues at first and was beginning to worry about it too since I was still feeling slightly dizzy after 2 days from when i first received it (the day after really affected me hard). But sure enough, the nauseating feeling does eventually goes away. After more prolong time with the rift, i've discovered that i'm actually able to stay much longer on it without having to take a break every few minutes. But the interesting thing is that i'm not just getting as nauseated as before (i still do occasionally, especially on games like HL2) but its that I can tolerate it much more now. Its like the weird light headed feeling is still there, but its not bothering me as much. And when i do finally stop using the rift, it doesn't linger painfully like it use to.

    And now I can see how certain demos, (whether its the IPD settings or bad FOV) does cause more eye strain VR sickness as compared to others. Not to mention framerates, blurry texture settings, and unnatural movements also tends to cause the issues also. But then again, the effect different for each of us. My mom couldn't stay on for more than 2 minutes, while a co-worker of mine was on it for nearly 30 min the first time around without feeling any VR sickness.
  • GanjaroachGanjaroach Posts: 449
    Hiro Protagonist
    Think of gaming on a monitor like when you learned how to ride a bike with training wheels and using the Oculus rift is like taking the training wheels off for the first time. :)
  • BattlerBattler Posts: 79
    NerveGear
    read this post again and replace "playing with my rift" in "doing drugs".
  • nightscarnightscar Posts: 63
    sorry you must be 18 yrs or older to use the rift.. tough luck buddy
    order number 057xxx
Sign In or Register to comment.