cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Home (SDK 1.3) and DK1

zoost
Explorer
I would like to receive some help and/or pointers from fellow DK1 owners as to how to get a DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home (SDK 1.3). I came as far as the Oculus Home application recognizing my DK1 as a HMD and recognizing my PS3 controller as a valid controller, but it is not allowing me to play because it want to detect a tracking sensor as well. Installing the apps also all wend fine.

Does anybody have got the DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home?
Is there a way to tell the Oculus Home to ignore the fact that there is no tracking device?

Please do not clutter this thread with remarks about buying the CV1 and/or DK2. I understand that that will be the better solution.
69 REPLIES 69

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just had some minor success with DK1 with 1.3 running everything from my own app to Oculus Home and stuff in store. The big catch, however, is you must have DK2 or CV1 for this to work, and it only works for a few minutes.

1. connect up your DK2/CV1
2. start Oculus Home and launch something so that headset powers on from sleep state
3. exit app and Oculus Home
4. immediately disconnect DK2/CV1 and connect DK1. Key point is to not plug anything into the USB port that was connected to the tracking camera.
5. start Oculus Home. Your DK1 display should come up showing Oculus Home screen.

It only works for a few minutes tops before going back to displaying black screen on DK1, so it isn't good for much, but it shows the DK1 hardware is still functional. The poweroff/black screen seems related to the tracking camera being detected.

emacinnes
Honored Guest
Yeah, it's beyond my budget to upgrade to a later DK model for the time being, maybe next year. It's so frustrating because it looks like it almost works, I can set Elite Dangerous to HMD (Speakers) mode and the head tracking works, the desktop changes scale, yet the DK1 shows only a black screen. However, turning off the oculus drivers (by plugging it into an onboard HDMI, or through an intermediate device, like an Elgato HDMI recorder, or using the DVI adapter instead of HDMI), I can actually attach the DK1 as a second display and see the desktop through it, so all the requisite bits of hardware work, but the software just isn't willing.

So close, yet so far.

Mindweaver
Explorer
Yea, there is no way I'm buying a used dk2 for the money they are going for now. I wouldn't buy one for $350 even now. I don't even understand why they took the time to stop it from working. I've uninstalled 1.3 for the time being and install .8. What is weird is that I backed up all the software I downloaded for 1.3 and Lucky's Tale actually starts up and gets farther than it did in 1.3. I even had the Lucky's Tale folder backed up on another drive and executed it on the other drive... but still nothing to the HMD other than it turns on and then off once when I press buttons on the xbox controller.

Mindweaver
Explorer
Anyone have anymore success?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I gave up after trying 100 different things. My DK1 is currently sitting on the shelf for the 1st time ever. My DK2 is lonely.

Twazzock
Honored Guest
I haven't gotten my DK1 working either. :'(

I hope Oculus doesn't drop us early supporters, it's probably the only PC HMD I'll have until next year, at least.

Melhadf
Protege

Twazzock said:

I haven't gotten my DK1 working either. :'(

I hope Oculus doesn't drop us early supporters, it's probably the only PC HMD I'll have until next year, at least.

Looks like it's too late for that.  1.3 seems to have removed lots of stuff purely to stop the older headsets.  The same reason that they enforce the sensor requirement (stops non-dk2/cv1 devices)

Mindweaver
Explorer
Yea, but Palmer stated he would not drop support for dk1 or dk2. They are just stopping it from going to the headset. We have already seen that the sensors still work and someone has already verified that using the dk2 camera with the dk1 turns the headset on and it works for a few minutes and then cuts off. Don't say then you need the camera, because the guy has to unplug it. Plus, there is nothing in the dk1 like the ir leds for the camera to use it. I think they just have this issue on the back burner and right now it's not priority and that's fine I understand. I just hope when they smooth things out they enable it on the next update.Trust me I would not even need it if CV1 was available, but I'll have to wait till June to get mine. It's funny in a way, because I couldn't wait for March 28th to get here for the new content.. I went back to .8 and now back to dinosaur island 2 demo doesn't work.. After uninstalling 1.3 I had to delete all the leftover folders and clean the registry and then restart and install .8.. Now B2DI 2 works. [/whining]

Melhadf
Protege
I can't find any source for that.... I really wish I could.  Where did Palmer say that?

Twazzock
Honored Guest
I could have sworn someone said it would be supported. The only thing I can find immediately is the line: "Every Rift can be used as a development kit." in the 1.3 SDK release on the developers blog. https://developer.oculus.com/blog/oculus-pc-sdk-1-3-now-available/

Which in my mind would mean I should be able to use the DK1 with 1.3 SDK software, whether my own or in Home.

I've used the runtime switcher to switch to 0.8 in the mean time. At least my DK1 is still functional that way. SteamVR still seems quite happy with it and just an Xbox controller as well.