cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Usage always 100% after installing Rift software

plagiarize
Explorer
This is a weird one. What I'm experiencing is very similar to what's described here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/32e7w0/check_your_system_interrupts/

Basically, whatever I'm running, will appear to use all of my CPU, and my fans are running at a higher volume all the time as a result. My system isn't running slowly... and it isn't an Oculus service that is at 100%, but finding someone else report a similar symptom caused by an older version of the SDK has me fairly convinced that the issue is indeed related to the Rift. I haven't tried reinstalling the software yet and I didn't notice it until after playing Eve Valkyrie (I had tried a number of other games before, but wasn't totally paying attention to what my CPU was doing or how loudly my PC was running).

Ideally I don't want to have to redownload and reinstall all the Rift apps I downloaded yesterday, but I'll give that a try if it's felt best.

Anyone else run into this?

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit on an i7 5930K, with the latest Nvidia (364.72) drivers for my 3 x GTX980s.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
41 REPLIES 41

ima747
Explorer
Seeing the same issue today all of a sudden. Switching to balanced also fixed it for me. Looking at process monitor it looks like the service is going crazy checking registry keys. Certainly seems like a bug. The 100% CPU usage didn't appear to actually slow down my computer, but it was showing at 100% usage on all cores (real and virtual). Definitely a bug, and a pretty ugly one too. Looks like it was basically taking 100% of the systems sleep time, so it was flogging the registry instead of idling. No idea why balanced power settings quiets it down.
Also to note, I installed eve valkyrie last night so perhaps eve is causing the service to freak out? Odd coincidence if not.

emperorofspace
Honored Guest
I want to chime in and say this is happening to me too. I noticed my fans were blowing really hot air, and I checked my CPU temp and noticed it was getting pretty hot. I looked at task manager and saw that I was using 100% CPU. I have a hyperthreaded hexacore i7, so that pretty much never happens. I suspected it might be the Oculus, but killing the processes did not fix it. Switching my power plan to balanced, however, did seem to fix it.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I will have someone investigate this. Can you please provide the log zip created by "OculusLogGatherer.exe" in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics"? Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ima747
Explorer
Logs sent directly. not comfortable posting all that system info publicly.

jaydsad
Honored Guest
Same issue here! It was driving me crazy so thanks for posting this. I even went so far as to uninstall all the Oculus stuff and my new USB 3.0 pci-e card in case that was causing it. In the end just changing to Balanced from High Performance in Windows Power Options fixed it as suggested here.

macd81
Protege
Changing the plans is addressing a symptom of something getting changed in the plan itself.  Use the 'restore default settings for this plan' option also fixes it.

So relieved I found this thread today.  Like others, it caught me unaware last night and I wasted 2-3 hours of my life worrying about and rooting around for a virus and then going thru driver settings, bootup settings, services, I had an nvidia driver update so I spent time downgrading and then re-upgrding, unplugging stuff, etc etc. I saw task manager pegged at 100% with various processes at 100%, while resource monitor showed CPU at 100% but no specific process using it - but then other things like CPU-Z showed nothing going on with the actual cores.

Glad to have a workaround for this issue, but now I also have to worry about turning back on a variety of stuff I tweaked in the process of fighting this and hope I don't wind up with a new issue due to shutting off a service or boot program I needed and forgot to reenable, or the like.

OculusVR Guys:  Please issue a patch or advisory on something. If this threw me for a loop, it will certainly do so for others. Not confidence inspiring. Glad to find the solution regardles..

Fishlove
Explorer
Hey @macd81, this is what I was thinking as well. Luckily restoring the plan works for me.
Coffee, coding, exploring the universe

ima747
Explorer
Resetting the defaults on the high performance plan does quiet the CPU down for me as well. Side note: my system won't auto sleep any more. OVRServer_x64.exe maintains the displays active even when the oculus store is closed, I'm guessing it's related to all the hammering it tries to do after borking the power plan.

cybereality
Grand Champion
We were able to reproduce this problem here and are looking into it. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

czero69
Honored Guest
Hello, I have similar problem with DK2. When the rift is off, CPU works at 100%. I am looking into it.
EDIT:
I had similar issue, my cpu was at 100%, until i play any aplication in the rift, then it came back to normal usage 5-20%. It eventually dissapeared, now my cpu works fine when the rift is off. I don't know what was the issue.
EDIT2:
My issue now, dk2, 0.8 runtime. I have OculusConfigUtil.exe disabled in startup manager. When I run computer cpu works at 100% all the time. When I run OculusConfigUtil and TURN ON the rift, everything is getting fine and cpu is working at ~4%. And it's not april's fools joke 🙂
EDIT3:
Can confirm this fixes the issue:
Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Restore default settings for this plan.