New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

March estimate pre-orderers - How long will you wait until you cancel?

Comments

• tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    edited March 2016
    2 weeks
    @ThreeDeeVision What pre-order time are you (not order number group) but the actual time?
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    I can wait, even if Oculus reveals a prototype for the CV2
    @tranceology3 My confirmation email hit my account @ 9:01, so I had my order completed and confirmed in the first minute.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    2 weeks
    Sounds great, seems like they are entering the time the orders actually went live now.
    Wintermute
    Yeah, I wasn't one of the lucky ones to find the 'back door' into the sales page and make the order early.  I would have loved the memo on that!  When the countdown hit zero, the sales button didn't come up.  I panicked and went to the support screen and there was a sale button at the top of it, so I quickly finished the purchase.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    1 week
    maxpare79 said:
    If I don't get any status update in the next week I believe this will be it for me... I don't even want it in the next week all I am asking is a status update
    That is all I want.  I simple statement from Oculus explaining the delays in shipping.  
  • 2 more days
    Lorsoth said:
    To me it's all about the communication. It's been woefully inadequate. It's not even a question of patience. I can be patient. It's about what it says about the company. I'm trying to imagine a situation in my company where we would be so neglectful of our customers and their attitudes and I simply can't. It's a bad sign and if they let it go on too long, it probably is indicative of a platform that will sink from poor management. A good product goes a long way, but they're testing the limits.
    This.  The arrogance form oculus over this is staggering.  Just tell us what the delay is.  Surely that is not too much to ask?
  • 2 more days
    shim2 said:
    This "launch" has been riddled with complaints, not about the device, but about the abysmal communication. Way to fuck up some good press by being silent on the issues, as if that has helped any company in the history of forever Oculus. When will you learn silence is not the answer in the world of consumerism?
    Oculus will never learn that.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    edited March 2016
    If we can assume that the rate of processing will continue as it has, the "one to three weeks" thing was probably correct. I always assumed they were referring to maybe the first and second wave, but I think it could be talking about everyone beyond the first 3 minutes. Mine went through about 6 minutes in and I'm really thinking that there's no chance of it shipping in the next week if they're still working on the first minute after two days of processing LOL. It's pretty embarrassing for Oculus TBH.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • GoesTo11GoesTo11 Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    When I ordered my Rift, I clicked on the link when the timer expired and had my preorder finished within a minute.  Then about a week ago, I received and email that stated that it would ship in 1-3 weeks.

When I ordered my Vive, the website didn't update right away and I had to go hunting to find the order page.  When I finally found it, I kept getting errors or they were saying that they were out of stock.  It took me 14 minutes to get my order in.  Last weekend I received an email stating that my order was processing.  Apparently the email was meaningless and almost everyone who had pre-ordered received it no matter when their expected delivery date was.  I phoned support and all they could tell me was my order would get shipped in April.

So who screwed up their launch?
  • MisterBeeboMisterBeebo Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    @ThreeDeeVision I received my confirmation in the first minute too! That gives me hope I might see mine soon. Thanks for sharing.
    Wintermute
    @MisterBeebo no problem!  Glad to inject a little hope into some of these shipping threads!
  • GJMOHGJMOH Posts: 40
    While the customer service around ordering sucks, based on the reviews and anechdotes, the product is great. Also, having bought a Windows machine just for VR I'm more than half way in cost wise anyway.  Unless it becomes offensive (my "estimated" March ship date misses by 2 months) I'll stick. 
    Trinity
    GoesTo11 said:

It remains to be seen if HTC has botched things, but based on what I've seen today, they're in great shape to have a solid launch. They were charging people like crazy today. It's safe to say that Oculus has bungled this one though. A few months from now, this won't be a big deal, but right now it's a poor showing and doesn't make them look very good. Not the slow roll-out, but rather their bizarre determination to stay quiet when the entire community is practically begging for a simple update. It continues to perplex everyone that they refuse to acknowledge the issue in a tweet, Facebook post, reddit thread, forum post, smoke signals etc. Is it really as hard as they're making it seem?
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • MaligatorMaligator Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    I felt like Oculus was trolling me today when I got an email from them. Seeing Oculus in the "from" field my excitement rose thinking it would be shipping confirmation. Low and behold when I opened it, it was just some guy from Oculus telling me how great VR will be. Yeah, thanks for that. I already pre-ordered, I don't need any more convincing. 
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    edited March 2016
    GJMOH said:
    While the customer service around ordering sucks, based on the reviews and anechdotes, the product is great. Also, having bought a Windows machine just for VR I'm more than half way in cost wise anyway.  Unless it becomes offensive (my "estimated" March ship date misses by 2 months) I'll stick. 
    The product may be great, but if you can't get your hands on it, then it doesn't matter how good or bad it is. And when they won't tell you anything about when you can get your hands on it, it becomes annoying to boot.
    Wintermute
    GoesTo11 said:

It remains to be seen if HTC has botched things, but based on what I've seen today, they're in great shape to have a solid launch. They were charging people like crazy today. It's safe to say that Oculus has bungled this one though. A few months from now, this won't be a big deal, but right now it's a poor showing and doesn't make them look very good. Not the slow roll-out, but rather their bizarre determination to stay quiet when the entire community is practically begging for a simple update. It continues to perplex everyone that they refuse to acknowledge the issue in a tweet, Facebook post, reddit thread, forum post, smoke signals etc. Is it really as hard as they're making it seem?
    It may be a big deal a few months down the line if HTC have fulfilled all their pre-orders and have stock to deliver to the stores for the runup to christmas whereas Oculus are still frantically struggling to get pre-orders out.
    Trinity
    edited March 2016
    notsram said:
    GoesTo11 said:

It may be a big deal a few months down the line if HTC have fulfilled all their pre-orders and have stock to deliver to the stores for the runup to christmas whereas Oculus are still frantically struggling to get pre-orders out.
    Sure. My statement was going under the assumption that the issues are temporary and Oculus corrects themselves soon. If we get to the point where Vive's are readily available for purchase and Oculus is still struggling to fulfill old pre-orders, they're going to be in some trouble.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
    Wintermute
    To be honest, I think even if Oculus do manage to get into stores, they'll be blown away at least until Touch ships.

Walking into a store, what are you going to be more impressed by? A guy sitting (ok, maybe moving around a little) prodding at an Xbone controller, or a guy standing and moving around waving the Vive wands around?
    Wintermute
    notsram said:
    GoesTo11 said:

Sure. My statement was going under the assumption that the issues are temporary and Oculus corrects themselves soon. If we get to the point where Vive's are readily available for purchase and Oculus is still struggling to fulfill old pre-orders, they're going to be in some trouble.
    Fair point, but I think if the issues really were temporary, Oculus would have said something. Total speculation of course, but the only reason for a silence this big is to cover up something pretty major.
  • L.E.D.BLUEL.E.D.BLUE Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    Has anyone canceled yet and Oculus responds and actually cancels the order? They will not reply to my support ticket. So I am wondering if they are replying to cancellation requests?
  • ennogsennogs Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    1 week
    Maligator said:
    I felt like Oculus was trolling me today when I got an email from them. Seeing Oculus in the "from" field my excitement rose thinking it would be shipping confirmation. Low and behold when I opened it, it was just some guy from Oculus telling me how great VR will be. Yeah, thanks for that. I already pre-ordered, I don't need any more convincing. 
    I got that email. Like you I wasn't happy to get an email saying the rift is out buy one when mine is getting delivered (hopefully) in May. 

It is a bit wierd they are ending out spam emails about buying a Rift when they are struggling to get out the orders they already have. It was spam as it was sent to an email address I have never given to oculus.
    Wintermute
    I just checked my bank account and it looks like HTC charged me as well.  So both of my pre-orders were charged on the same day.  Looks like I will be writing my duel review sooner rather than later  :D
    Trinity
    I just checked my bank account and it looks like HTC charged me as well.  So both of my pre-orders were charged on the same day.  Looks like I will be writing my duel review sooner rather than later  :D
    I hate you. I've squat from either.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • MinituMinitu Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    notsram said:
    Fair point, but I think if the issues really were temporary, Oculus would have said something. Total speculation of course, but the only reason for a silence this big is to cover up something pretty major.

yeah, I've listen that before...

If oculus don't say anything about roomscale is because it's tracking sucks. They are hiding something.
    If oculus don't say anything about their FOV is becuase it's FOV sucks. They are hiding something.

The more reasonable explanation is they are overwhelmed by the magnitude and something in their process needs improvement. The process will get better, and shipment rate too. I think as soon as they figure out they'll say something or one at a time we'll be shipped and the noise will banish...Guess they remain silent because anything they say will throw further excrutiny and they still have not settled things to be able to give details.

I don't think that at Occulus they are having fun about people waiting as someone has said. Just the contrary, they must be working hard to solve this mess. Hard days for them, but hey they knew and it s something that comes with this job.

Soon upgrading to Ryzen
    Wintermute
    Sorry @snappahead , you can come over if you want and help me review them ;)
    Wintermute
    Can I come too? I'll bring a variety of ginger based snacks :)
    Wintermute
    Hell yeah @notsram!  VR review party!  I am hoping my recent DK2 practice will negate any need for Ginger though.
    Trinity
    Nah...wouldn't be the same. You know how it is. 
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • RiftDuffRiftDuff Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    1 week
    Zoomie said:
    This is not meant as a slam against anyone in particular, but for all the talk about wanting "the best" unit and the multitude of threads picking apart every single possible flaw in either the Vive or the Rift, I'm AMAZED that the deciding factor for so many people seems to be which one will arrive first. 

We've been waiting months if not years for these systems and you're going to cancel an order or make a final choice because of a week or two shipping?  I don't get it.  I must be extraordinarily patient or foolish because I made my decision based on features and design, and now I'm willing to wait until it shows up.
    I don't think it's just a matter of who gets what first, but rather it's the frustration of Oculus not communicating about what is going on. Many people are beginning to lose faith in Oculus as a company and are starting to wonder if the Facebook buyout has turned them into another Evil corporation. This will be an ongoing issue if their pattern of response to concerns is crickets. They know there is a problem, we know there is a problem, but they have communicated nothing. HTC is not having any of these issues, is on track and appears to be doing a much better job at sharing information with their customers than Oculus is. This whole fiasco is really tarnishing the Oculus image and people who used to be on team Oculus are beginning to wonder if they should jump to team Valve/HTC. Trust is a big deal and if you start to feel like you don't trust a company you might not want to get into business with them on a long trem investment. Most of us can understaand that there are issues that have come up. We can understand that they may not know when shipping can resume. The thing we know for sure is that Oculus knows a hell of a lot more than they are sharing with us. There has been almost no information about what is going on and when we can actually expect to get our Rifts.