cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March estimate pre-orderers - How long will you wait until you cancel?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since I have heard of a lot of Rift pre-orders jumping ship and canceling their orders, I am curious to see what everyone's limit is, even if you have a 1-3 week email, or no email at all. This mostly applies to people who got a March estimate, but feel free to put in your wait limit in regards to your estimated (If you can remember) month.
94 REPLIES 94

GoesTo11
Protege
When I ordered my Rift, I clicked on the link when the timer expired and had my preorder finished within a minute.  Then about a week ago, I received and email that stated that it would ship in 1-3 weeks.

When I ordered my Vive, the website didn't update right away and I had to go hunting to find the order page.  When I finally found it, I kept getting errors or they were saying that they were out of stock.  It took me 14 minutes to get my order in.  Last weekend I received an email stating that my order was processing.  Apparently the email was meaningless and almost everyone who had pre-ordered received it no matter when their expected delivery date was.  I phoned support and all they could tell me was my order would get shipped in April.

So who screwed up their launch?

Anonymous
Not applicable
@ThreeDeeVision I received my confirmation in the first minute too! That gives me hope I might see mine soon. Thanks for sharing.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@MisterBeebo no problem!  Glad to inject a little hope into some of these shipping threads!
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

GJMOH
Protege
While the customer service around ordering sucks, based on the reviews and anechdotes, the product is great. Also, having bought a Windows machine just for VR I'm more than half way in cost wise anyway.  Unless it becomes offensive (my "estimated" March ship date misses by 2 months) I'll stick. 

snappahead
Expert Protege

GoesTo11 said:

It remains to be seen if HTC has botched things, but based on what I've seen today, they're in great shape to have a solid launch. They were charging people like crazy today. It's safe to say that Oculus has bungled this one though. A few months from now, this won't be a big deal, but right now it's a poor showing and doesn't make them look very good. Not the slow roll-out, but rather their bizarre determination to stay quiet when the entire community is practically begging for a simple update. It continues to perplex everyone that they refuse to acknowledge the issue in a tweet, Facebook post, reddit thread, forum post, smoke signals etc. Is it really as hard as they're making it seem?
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Maligator
Protege
I felt like Oculus was trolling me today when I got an email from them. Seeing Oculus in the "from" field my excitement rose thinking it would be shipping confirmation. Low and behold when I opened it, it was just some guy from Oculus telling me how great VR will be. Yeah, thanks for that. I already pre-ordered, I don't need any more convincing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

GJMOH said:

While the customer service around ordering sucks, based on the reviews and anechdotes, the product is great. Also, having bought a Windows machine just for VR I'm more than half way in cost wise anyway.  Unless it becomes offensive (my "estimated" March ship date misses by 2 months) I'll stick. 

The product may be great, but if you can't get your hands on it, then it doesn't matter how good or bad it is. And when they won't tell you anything about when you can get your hands on it, it becomes annoying to boot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

GoesTo11 said:

It remains to be seen if HTC has botched things, but based on what I've seen today, they're in great shape to have a solid launch. They were charging people like crazy today. It's safe to say that Oculus has bungled this one though. A few months from now, this won't be a big deal, but right now it's a poor showing and doesn't make them look very good. Not the slow roll-out, but rather their bizarre determination to stay quiet when the entire community is practically begging for a simple update. It continues to perplex everyone that they refuse to acknowledge the issue in a tweet, Facebook post, reddit thread, forum post, smoke signals etc. Is it really as hard as they're making it seem?

It may be a big deal a few months down the line if HTC have fulfilled all their pre-orders and have stock to deliver to the stores for the runup to christmas whereas Oculus are still frantically struggling to get pre-orders out.

snappahead
Expert Protege

notsram said:

GoesTo11 said:

It may be a big deal a few months down the line if HTC have fulfilled all their pre-orders and have stock to deliver to the stores for the runup to christmas whereas Oculus are still frantically struggling to get pre-orders out.

Sure. My statement was going under the assumption that the issues are temporary and Oculus corrects themselves soon. If we get to the point where Vive's are readily available for purchase and Oculus is still struggling to fulfill old pre-orders, they're going to be in some trouble.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest, I think even if Oculus do manage to get into stores, they'll be blown away at least until Touch ships.

Walking into a store, what are you going to be more impressed by? A guy sitting (ok, maybe moving around a little) prodding at an Xbone controller, or a guy standing and moving around waving the Vive wands around?