cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halo effect / glare / lens flare: anyone discover ways to minimize it?

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
A friend of mine got his preorder yesterday, and he loves everything about it except the glare. He plays a lot of Elite Dangerous, and apparently he is really bothered by the glare in that game. He found one way to minimize it, adjust the positioning of the Rift so that the light is shining straight into his eyes - unfortunately that also makes the Rift press hard against his nose. He is bothered by it enough he's wondering whether he should return (or sell) the Rift and keep using his DK2.

So does anybody have any suggestions?
88 REPLIES 88

maxpare79
Trustee
That's what worries me the most and the first reason I had to secure a VIVE order
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

christopherbarn
Adventurer
I have the same problem, though I haven't tried ED yet. At this point I'm hoping the reddit rumor is true and there were some defective lens shipped so we can get a fix. The optics were supposed to be one of the things that made the Rift better.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
The Reddit thing was not true, the guy who originally said it (who had his thread locked due to no proof) came out and said it was an April Fools prank. And his rumor was that after the Kickstarters they were shipping only good ones anyways.

OccUpied
Expert Protege
isn't that software issue not hardware?. Reach out the ED dev.

maxpare79
Trustee
No, it's an issue of light sources over dark background
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Dreamwriter
Rising Star

OccUpied said:

isn't that software issue not hardware?. Reach out the ED dev.

Nope, it's a hardware issue caused by the fresnel lenses that Oculus uses, software developers can minimize the issue by not having any bright high contrast elements in dark scenes, but good luck with that in a space game 🙂

maxpare79
Trustee
The issue would be less of a problem on the VIVE due to larger grooves in the Fresnel lens

edmg
Trustee

maxpare79 said:

That's what worries me the most and the first reason I had to secure a VIVE order

Except the Vive also has Fresnel lenses, so it also has lens flare issues. Oddly enough people mentioned them more on the Vive than the Rift in pre-release reviews, so maybe something changed in the Rift's lens design since then?

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
The issue is quite a bit better on Vive, because the rings on its fresnel lenses are farther apart - not as much light shining from the edge of one ring hits another ring to continue the beam.