cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is life at Oculus! Order page updated...

maxpare79
Trustee
Shipping charges have completely disappeared in the last refresh I did...It used to be 65$cad for shipping now shipping charges are gone...

So I guess they really do exist!!!!
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
118 REPLIES 118

boggie1688
Protege

agenttoff said:

Mine shows $2.40.  Looks like they just deducted $30 from the shipping total, because my shipping was previously $32.40.  Maybe they're switching distribution companies or location.

1. They could be being nice, aka goodwill for the wait.
2. Their contract stipulated some type of monetary penalty if the logistic partner failed to meet promised deadlines. (they passed the the savings to shipping)
3. They've changed logistic partners, and there is a new billing algorithm. (AKA new shipping API being used to calculate shipping costs)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'm still holding out hope that UK rifts will ship from the UK???
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RPGPr0Go
Protege
I would not be surprised if this isn't mentioned in the next official address from Luckey Palmer on Twitter, along with the rest of his update. 

AHeckman
Expert Protege
my stateside shipping cost disappeared too

maxpare79
Trustee
Well it would be unfair for those who already received their pre-orders and paid for shipping...so I am sure it's just a new system kicking in or something...BTW did Kickstarter backers paid for shipping? or was it all free?
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Anonymous
Not applicable

maxpare79 said:

Well it would be unfair for those who already received their pre-orders and paid for shipping...so I am sure it's just a new system kicking in or something...BTW did Kickstarter backers paid for shipping? or was it all free?

I believe shipping was free, but you had to pay customs fees. 

Maligator
Protege

maxpare79 said:

I'll gladly let them put the $30 back on my order to trade places with you. "unfair" LOL

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer

agenttoff said:

Mine shows $2.40.  Looks like they just deducted $30 from the shipping total, because my shipping was previously $32.40.  Maybe they're switching distribution companies or location.

1. They could be being nice, aka goodwill for the wait.
2. Their contract stipulated some type of monetary penalty if the logistic partner failed to meet promised deadlines. (they passed the the savings to shipping)
3. They've changed logistic partners, and there is a new billing algorithm. (AKA new shipping API being used to calculate shipping costs)

1. could be possible, seeing as how my entire shipping charge wasn't deducted, which would have been more likely to happen if they were switching logistic partners.  I really don't think this is the case, but I'd like to be surprised.
2. I think it would have been a percentage, rather than a flat $30 per shipment.
3. my first thought.. but the fact that $2.40 remains, makes this scenario iffy.

boggie1688
Protege

water_ said:

I meant from a single source. There are only so many planes taking off with packages in them from wherever they are shipping them from. If your talking quantity instead of speed, you could get a lot more rifts to local distribution centers faster if they were on trucks than you could trying to land planes on runways as another plane was taking off (which they aren't).

True. But shipping companies are much more sophisticated than you think.

A warehouse with product, can estimate (with high accuracy) trucks are need to pick up a set number of packages. The shipping company can also estimate how many packages can fit in a plane.

You know that LxWxH dimension they ask for in shipping calculators? It is really use for more than estimating price. Actually, I think lasers measure the packages as well while they are in transit on the shipping conveyors. 

And trust me, it does Fedex/UPS no good if they have packages waiting at the air hub, with no planes to move them. They know their capacity and can adjust accordingly. Too many planes, they put some away or reroute them to where they are need. Too little, and they pull some from another location or out of a hanger. Now a days all companies want to optimize their resources as close as they can to 100% efficiency. They spend millions of dollars on this, because it saves millions more.

Logistics/Supply Chain/Demand Planning....its all pretty f**king cool. 

KekoaKalani
Protege
I work for fedex, so its definitely not a logistics issue from their end.