cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chronos is amaze-balls

snappahead
Expert Protege
After saying I was going to save some things..especially Chronos...I cracked and played Chronos on my DK2. I didn't want to..I blacked out and when I came to I was playing it...it just happened. Don't judge me. 

Anyways, wow, is this good. If you're familiar with Gunfire Games, this shouldn't be a surprise. These are the guys that made Darksiders..an amazing and very underrated series IMO. They also made the brilliant Herobound games for the Gear VR. The best games on that system IMO. They make good games and this feels like the big brother of Herobound. It has a lot of similarities to HB and a surprising amount in common with Dark Souls. 

The combat is more methodical and deliberate like DS and will kick your ass like DS too. I was surprised by the difficulty. It's not going to coddle you like Lucky's Tale. I ran into an enemy early in the game and figured I'd be safe to run up, slap the hell out of it with my sword and go about my business, but that didn't quite happen. That little bastard humbled me and taught me a lesson. Every fight is for real in this game..at least until you level up and can handle things easier. They say you age a year every time you die. I hope my character is immortal because I think he's going to be 700 years old by the time I finish Chronos. Like DS though, it doesn't feel cheap. When you die, you know why it happened.

That's not a bad thing though. It's great. The game feels serious and isn't relying on VR as a crutch. It's for real. It's exactly what I hoped it was going to be.

It doesn't use VR as a crutch, but it sure does VR well. The fixed camera system feels cozy and comfortable. I played what felt like 15 minutes and I was surprised to see that I'd been playing for an hour. I rarely ever play VR content that long without feeling it and being ready for a break, but I had to force myself to stop. That's a GOOD feeling. I couldn't get enough of all the different areas and camera angles. Sometimes,you're behind pipes or bars and feel like you're watching things in hiding and other times, you're floating over an abyss and looking out over a big open section of the environment. I can't wait to see that next area. It's a beautiful game with incredible lighting and design and I feel like I'm being rewarded with a cool new vista when I get to each new room. I feel truly bummed when a door doesn't open..I want to see that new room! The answer is there somewhere to get it opened, but my impatience is only because of how damned cool it is to explore and discover things in this game.

Now, I just hope I can save this game until I get my CV1 and not crack again. I might need to sabotage my dk2. I'm not strong enough.

Sorry for the long posts. I've been inspired by these experiences and I haven't seen much talk about Chronos. It deserves so much attention.

TL:DR Chronos is really amaze-balls.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti
66 REPLIES 66

snappahead
Expert Protege

Fluke said:

I've held off buying Chronos just so that I don't get tempted to play it on the DK2. I picked up Herobound instead for something to have a blast on over the weekend. I've already given in and started playing Lucky's Tale, so definitely want to save this for the CV1.

It's really hard to resist..especially with all the delays going on. I wasn't strong enough. Chronos is worth waiting for though.

snappahead
Expert Protege
It's one of the more pricey games, but very much worth the asking price if you like these kinds of games IMO.

Arock387 said:

Finally.  I have been waiting for someone to review this game.  Sounds great.  May pick it up when I get paid. I'll play it on the DK2 as I'm not getting my rift for a couple more months

Ash7
Protege

At first I saw the $50 price tag, and had my doubts about this game...

I feared the "first wave" of VR titles would be "casual", as far as game length/depth etc., so that newcomers to VR could get their VR legs before taking on some "real" games lol!

No regrets here! Well worth the price IMHO, and I'm in love with Chronos! ❤️

I can't stop playing (with my DK2), and I can't wait to play it once my CV1 arrives!

It's basically Dark Souls "lite" (combat, re-spawning, and leveling)

with a touch of Zelda : The Wind Waker (style, presentation, and puzzles),

but with a cinematic camera style similar to the first Resident Evil games (1 - 3).

It all comes together so well, and is very unique!

The "Intro" campfire/story sequence was a brilliant way to kick the game off!

I just beat the four armed Boss, so I'm not sure if the game leaves itself open for a sequel...

I'd love to see this become the "Zelda" of VR...as in a franchise/series though!

If you are worried about the price consider this : VR devs are taking a HUGE risk.

They are developing for a market that is new / a gamble, and doing it for the love of VR.

Please support the devs, as it will only help VR, and devs like these grow! 😉

"All controversy begins with DOUBT"

GunfireGames
Protege
Thanks so much for all the compliments. Glad you are enjoying it. 

johnmccabe
Protege
@GunfireGames will it be released on Steam/Vive at any point?

Anonymous
Not applicable
@GunfireGames Love this game, but I was wondering does the game have an age fail state on Heroic mode?  I am currently 56 and I keep worried I will eventually hit a game ending fail state.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Super excited for this one. 

Really can't wait much longer to get my Rift.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

GunfireGames
Protege
@Bookoo Alas, one of the more hotly contested design decisions at the studio. We went with no permanent death option on any of the difficulty options. There is a mechanic when you reach the age cap that helps the player out. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
@GunfireGames That's good to know. When I started that game I wasn't sure if it was "one life to live" and it was stressing me out. I understand how that could appeal to some people, but it would have ruined the fun for me. Good choice.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bookoo Alas, one of the more hotly contested design decisions at the studio. We went with no permanent death option on any of the difficulty options. There is a mechanic when you reach the age cap that helps the player out. 

Yea that would be a tough decision. I kept thinking it would be really neat if that was the case because it kept the tension and stress sky high, but part of the stress was not knowing what was going to happen. I kept getting worried that I was wasting my time after dying like 15 times on the first boss.

Since the game is pretty long, it would have been really frustrating to have to do it all over again at least on my first play through.

Hope you guys are working on a Chronos 2 or something even cooler! 🙂