New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtuix Omni

LyleDLyleD Posts: 23
Brain Burst
im considering getting the Virtuix Omni so I can walk and run around in VR.  Seems like no limits that would occur in room scale. Anyone else here planning to get one?
Tagged:

Comments

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,196
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    I've ordered one. They finally seem to be getting close to mass production, so hopefully it will be here not long after my Rift.

One of the guys from the Omni forum has one for beta-testing, and he's putting together a set of instructions for running pre-VR games like GTA5 and Skyrim with the Omni. The silly part is that many VR developers seem so worried about 'comfort' in their games that they're making them incompatible with the Omni by not including a keyboard or controller interface.

As I think I mentioned before, my goal with this generation of VR is to be able to run from one end of Skyrim to the other. The Omni seems the best bet for that at the moment.
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    I'm a Kickstarter backer of Omni... It's been a long wait, and I've even thought of cancelling at times, but am still ordered and still waiting now... scheduled for Q3, presently.  The reviews were never bad, but are getting better as time goes on.  Running through Skyrim was my initial motivation for this too... Got the Boom coming with mine which I'm sure I'll use for many things including room-scale - but, when you can Skyrim-scale, why would you? ;)

Great Pathfinder review:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/49nbih/a_full_month_with_the_virtuix_omni_my_review/

80% of beta testers now no longer want VR without it:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/48c1km/80_of_virtuix_omni_treadmill_beta_testers_say/

Most recent version much improved:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3xerjk/tried_the_pathfinder_virtuix_omni_last_night/

• DLFReporterDLFReporter Posts: 103
    Art3mis

I'm a Kickstarter as well. :)

My wife keeps winding me up about it never arriving, but it does look oh so promising. Q3 just can't come quick enough.

Ordered 20min in. -Waiting for April
  • uswinuswin Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I plan to get one too in the future, seem like a no brainer honestly, i want to be able to walk in any exploration or adventure game in vr
  • KillianKillian Posts: 62
    Also a KS backer and pretty okay on the wait to Q3. Thinking if I should add the boom or not and maybe the rack, though I could just get a small portable desk to put the keyboard, HMD and controllers on.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,006 Valuable Player
    If you have the space and money then i'd say you'd be mad not to have something like this.  I can't wait to see which products work best - we're waiting for the Sixense Stem, the Omni and many more i'm sure - such a long wait but so exciting!
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,006 Valuable Player
    That's the thing CardinalStorm, most of the tech is cumbersome right now but we still need it so that in (oh god not another wait) another 5 years we have everything we want.  Ah well.   :(
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    People with big wallets can now buy shares through https://www.seedinvest.com/
    I Think minimal investment into Virtuix is $2000

• kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    I'm sure if someone made something similar for less than 100$, and it had no electronic parts (just let the user choose the input of their choice [pad, cam tracker, Neuron, STEM, PrioVR, etc]), that person would make a decent amount of money, as well (and probably would outsell VO). (hint hint :) )

Art3mis
    edited April 2016

@CardinalStorm: That's the beauty of treadmills. VR is still cumbersome and tethered, but the Omni lets you move around without moving. Who needs a chaperone then? ;)

The way the Omni works, is that the sloped base works to simulate a natural walking surface, so that the feet can move the same as while walking outside. Other treadmills like the Cyberith are more like sliding over a flat surface, but on the other hand it requires no special shoes.

@Kernow: Iirc VO has no patent on the Concave platform, so you know... (hint hint nudge nudge)

• maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,792
    Project 2501
    I never liked the videos I saw from the Omni, the way you walk in it doesn't seem natural...
    Maybe trying it would give me a different opinion, but this is my first impression.
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I9 [email protected], 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
    Art3mis

That's what we are all waiting to find out. :)

I might just find myself buying another treadmill down the line. :)

• Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 574
    Trinity
    Is too early for that kind of equipment, you will need game builded to interact with it.
    I know you can make them "work" for it but having something "working with" and "designed for" are 2 different things.
    Still, really awesome and what it go down do 200 i'll for sure buy one u.u
  • shadowrydrshadowrydr Posts: 115
    Art3mis
     I watch those Omni videos and think to myself, Self, you will die if you buy that. That is alot of running and moving around, thank goodness for driving, flight and space sims. :-) I love the fact that you youngsters have a opportunity to buy and a means to exercise with a platform such as this.  Being over the hill, as I am, sitting is something I  enjoy more of now. But if I was young I would have jumped right on this no second thoughts. Looks like a $ maker.
    Win10 64bit
    Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz
    Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-
    Wintermute
    I'm justifying it to my girlfriend as a way to get fit :).

But, yeah, my main concern is whether the 'walking on the spot' will turn out to be problematic after long-term use. From watching the videos, it doesn't look much different to natural walking, except your feet slide back instead of staying in one spot.

As for games, yes, ideally we'll have to get game developers to support the Omni directly so they can use all the features. But it can operate as a game controller or keyboard, so as long as the game movement speed is reasonably realistic it should work OK.

I suspect the bigger problem will be that few games support independent head and body movement, so while movement speed can often be modded, a fundamental limitation of the game engine like that usually can't.
    Art3mis

@Kalec84: As the Omni functions like a controller (moving forward = pressing W on the keyboard or if you have a game for analogue input, running faster = pushing the stick higher = faster in the game) you don't need to worry about games not supporting the Omni.

Luckily we live in a time and age, where Hardware Developers also have Software people in their companies and thus there are games which are planned to be launched especially designed for the Omni (see http://www.virtuix.com/gallery/)

God I come off sounding like a fanboy now... I am not, but I just wanted to clear the misconceptions.

• Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 574
    Trinity

God I come off sounding like a fanboy now...

No you didn't :)
    Well, lets say that usually when someone start making games for somthing, that something has something worth the effort.
    I'm already "watching" how it develop, but obviously it is not going to have a gret resonance, since is a fantastic periferal, but for a device that have just arrived on the market, i bet that there are really a lot of people thinking exactly at that type of peripheral (to move in VR) but didn't even know there are already some on the market :)
  • jyounjyoun Posts: 232
    It says it works with all games, but isn't there at least some special config files for each to determine walking/strafing speed, ducking distance, and some other things unique to the Omni? Are there games that have been designed around Omni? I guess I'm just curious about the consistency between games, and if there is a list of which games work best...
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,297
    3Jane
    edmg said:
    my goal with this generation of VR is to be able to run from one end of Skyrim to the other.
    You could practice your running skills on a Wii Fit board : That's what I did (once).

It taught me I'd rather use a treadmill to live a long walking experience, then a short running one :)

That doesn't mean a treadmill is a bad idea for Skyrim : It means that for traveling you'll want to be riding a horse using a treadmill's seated position, rather then doing the running yourself.
  • DannyMNLDannyMNL Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    I'm interested in either the Virtuix Omni or the Cyberith Virtualizer. I'm going to wait and see how the technology matures and how well it is supported before I make a decision though.
    ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming OC 6Gb | i7-4790K 4.0Ghz | Crucial Ballistix 16Gb DDR3-1600 | Cooler Master G750M | Windows 10 64-bit | AOC G2460PG G-Sync 144hz 3D-monitor
  • AVATVR_PROJECTAVATVR_PROJECT Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I prototyping a virtual floor, one day we will can walk and run way more naturally when true active VR treadmill become affordable.
    Hope the technology are actually developing by other VR believer
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    Cyril said:
    That doesn't mean a treadmill is a bad idea for Skyrim : It means that for traveling you'll want to be riding a horse using a treadmill's seated position, rather then doing the running yourself.
    To be fair, I'm using a realistic movement mod that adjusts Skyrim to be closer to real walking. From what I remember, the game map is only about three miles on each side, which I can walk in an hour... So when I said 'running', I didn't necessarily mean running all the way :).

But, yeah, I do wonder how long a session I'll be able to sustain when it's simulated walking motion rather than real walking.
    Wintermute
    jyoun said:
    It says it works with all games, but isn't there at least some special config files for each to determine walking/strafing speed, ducking distance, and some other things unique to the Omni? Are there games that have been designed around Omni? I guess I'm just curious about the consistency between games, and if there is a list of which games work best...
    I think the only Omni-specific games right now are from Virtuix themselves. Other games typically do need special configuration to feel right; as I mentioned above, one of the guys on the Omni forum has been testing a bunch of games like Skyrim, GTA5, Fallout 4, etc, and working out the best configuration for them.
    Nexus 6
    A couple promising points from the Pathfinder review regarding non-Omni specific games:
    • Undoubtedly, the question everyone asks is what non-omni games have I tried and enjoyed. The answers shouldn't really be surprising. GTAV works well with the omni in gamepad mode (where it emulates a gamepad's analog stick as you walk) as does skyrim and fallout 4. The so-called walking simulator games like Dear Esther and Gone Home are absolutely terrific with the omni - actually Dear Esther might be my favorite non-omni software I tried.
    • But in general, yeah, I need to be standing or walking in VR these days. Using a joystick to move around in VR either makes people sick or just outright doesn't feel correct. The biggest compliment I can give the Virtuix Omni is that it makes my purchase of VorpX feel like a no brainer. So many games I would have never considered playing VR with VorpX I find myself enjoying now. If you're getting into VR to play non-VR games in VR, then yeah, an Omni is something I'd say is a necessity.
  • nightauditor1981nightauditor1981 Posts: 302
    Nexus 6
    I still don´t really know what to think about treadmills in general. My biggest fear at this point in time would be software compatibility. I don´t know of any game that officially supports something like this (or plans to).

I don´t want to rely on 3rd party hacks to get the games going. I don´t know.

The next thing that is a MASSIVE no go for me is vehicles. What do you do, when you walk up to a car in gta and enter? Do you then take off the HMD, climb out of the treadmill and move to a seat? I just don´t see it.

After trying to play technolust standing up, I have to agree with some people here though. We need a solution for movement in VR. Simply moving with a controller won´t be enough.

I don´t know what the solution will look like, but I don´t see myself buying a treadmill now for a lot of money, esecialy if they might be obsolete soon when the "real" solution is presented.
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    The next thing that is a MASSIVE no go for me is vehicles. What do you do, when you walk up to a car in gta and enter? Do you then take off the HMD, climb out of the treadmill and move to a seat? I just don´t see it.

You can sit in the Omni, and I believe you can in the other treadmills in development. But the steering wheel might present a bit of a problem :).

I don't think I've seen a GTA driving video with the Omni, but there's certainly a Virtualizer video somewhere on Youtube. I think they had a gun controller that they also used to drive.

Biggest in-game limitation of the Omni is that you can't crouch. But crouching on a slippery surface with a headset on may not be the brightest idea, anyway. At least, if you like your knees and ankles.

Also, the treadmills that do allow crouching are probably going to cost at least twice as much due to the extra mechanical complexity.
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis

i got an omni on order, but it seems it will take forever to get delivered.

i really consider cancelling it in favour of KAT VR who seems to bring more.

and could possibly deliver at the same time.

Wintermute
    I don't think the KAT VR will even fit in my bedroom; it looks much too tall in the demo videos. Also, I'm sure it will cost far more than an Omni, which is mostly some fixed pieces of metal and plastic with a few sensors.
  • Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 367
    Trinity
    I want the Omni so bad, but I can't get it until the price comes down. My dreams are expensive, yo.
    Nexus 6
    One method, from a Pathfinder review: "I use a Cabella's gun which is recognized as an Xbox 360 controller. So when I get in a car, I just sit down in the omni and drive using the analog stick on the gun. It's kind of weird but it works. On that specific gun, the trigger is the gas and the analog stick next to the trigger is the steering (as opposed to the analog stick next to the pump action). The pump action is the break."

"kind of weird" sure... but not climbing out of the Omni.  You could switch to a cockpit if you were going to do a lot of driving that session of course, but you also just switch to regular controller mode while still in the Omni - gun, or grab your 360 controller from the tray and drive/ride horse/bike/plane/whatever, until back to walking.  Of course it would be better if it would transform into a cockpit with wheel & pedals, but using a regular controller for those parts will work for me.