cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydra Cover Shooter - VR FPS (Updated to v1.0)

Teddy0k
Explorer
Hello Riftheads,

Here's my latest game for the Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra;

Download v1.0 here: https://mega.co.nz/#!ANAR0JTQ!RBNYOm6loV86LB0evdNE0GElchEqveoKBJqvqv7MIu8

Here's a new level made by Kent - kentjoster@gmail.com

Warehouse Download Link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6xCDM2whLWdExCd3NzTDhrZVU/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a some more videos;

It's using the control scheme from my HydraDeck Demo. It has position tracking for your body (via a Hydra attached to your chest) which allows you to take cover behind columns and duck behind boxes to avoid the incoming enemy fire. The enemies are robots with plasma rifles who lay down some serious suppressing fire. To survive, you'll need to pop up from behind cover and take your shots, or blind fire around corners and hope to hit them.

The position tracking adds a tonne to the immersion of being in a virtual world. Please be careful when playing this demo, lots of people try to support themselves on the crates when they try to stand up or when leaning up against a column, but find there is nothing there!

Just like my last HydraDeck demo, players seem to get very little simulation sickness from this demo. If you do feel any, I'd love to hear from you.

As I mentioned in the video, I've released the UDK level assets and editor, so if anyone is interested in building some of their own levels you can download it here;
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1KRnJKwYT-0Tmx3djZXZlNCS00

And if you'd like to implement something similar in UDK, here's the source code;
https://mega.co.nz/#!ZdgHkAhZ!Llo4BlFJeXxknw1fMdL6TQFp3WYN82tkHIusbEcB_Aw

v1.0 changelist
-Updated to the new Septemeber 2013 UDK. Now has working yaw drift calibration, reads in IPD settings from Oculus Config util, etc
-Fixed a whole bunch of calibration issue people were having

v0.4 changelist
-Added laser sword. It can cut through your enemies and deflect their shots back at them. Stretch out with your feelings.
-Disabled reload feature by default. You can turn it on in the UDKGame\Config\DefaultGame.ini file if you like

v0.3 changelist
-Added reloading. Press the Right Bumper to eject the magazine, then touch the gun to your body to insert a new mag
-Added an UZI. Fires really fast and thus has to reload lots!
-Added a hand grenade. Hold the trigger to pull the pin, then lob and let go of trigger to throw. I find throwing over arm or rolling it along the floor works best!
-Added real physics and sounds to empty shell casings
-Decreased size of head hit box to a more human size
-Made players health regenerate faster
-Fixed players need to recalibrate after the map restarts
-Made "Point at Hydra Base" calibration require a trigger pull by default. I think this will fix a lot of people's calibration issues

v0.2 changelist
-Changed run button to joystick button (push the joystick in)
-Rewrote body tracking rotation, it will now work with the Left Hydra attached anywhere on your chest or back, facing in any direction
-Improved body tracking when leaning to the side or bending over, should match up much better
-Added new calibration step to calculate Hydra Base height (touch the floor)
-Added new calibration step to calculate offset from chest to neck/head (touch back of your neck)
-Added new Turtle enemy
-Added new Thug enemy
-Added new bullet impact effect to give you better feedback when you miss (thanks JamesMcCrae!)
-Added reload to the gun when you press rb (bumper button) NOTE: currently disabled. Turn it on in the config files to test it out
-Tweaked bots tracking of the player to be slightly less aggressive
-Tweaked bots movement speed to be faster, so they can dash between cover
-Reduced the size of the player's hitbox to more closely match your head size
-Improved positional tracking of player's gun
-Improved framerate by reducing the ScreenPercentage default value to 150
207 REPLIES 207

totallymichael
Honored Guest
I'm a huge fan of Hydra Deck and this looks awesome. I can't wait to try it out!

evilSheep
Honored Guest
That was intense! It will be much better when everything is wireless - I ended up wandering back too far and pulling the hydra dock and rift box off my desk lol. Definitely worth it though. The positional tracking really adds a whole new level of immersion, and no sickness at all. My legs are actually sore from all the crouching and crawling around..
Do you plan on adding a full body/arms?

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
This kids got talent!! 3d is great and the positional tracking controls are really really good. Awesome please keep up the great work!!!

Thodder7
Honored Guest
Teddy great job, this is so much fun! Wireless will def inprove this, I manage to get all tangled in hydra cords, oculus cord, and headphone cord lolol.... but still so much fun! I'm actually sweating from poping up and down, I have my desk position set pretty close so I can lean on it, and shoot! I'll try and get a video of to help promote this in the next few days... Awesome job!
Join the VR Brotherhood: http://bit.ly/1iUAjuf Our Youtube Channel!: https://www.youtube.com/user/VRBrotherhood/videos

totallymichael
Honored Guest
This was awesome. Definite have to be careful of your surroundings. Ha ha. The very first time I had to duck down I didn't even think about it and I smacked my Hydra against my desk. But man, what a workout! I don't know if I'm just that out of shape or what, but all that crouching and standing up and crouching over and over got my heart going. Super awesome demo! I can't wait to show this one off to my friends. It would be nice if there was a way to adjust the difficulty. It would be awesome to make the enemies' bullets fly a little slower. But yeah, this is a lot of fun. Awesome job.

M_i_c_a
Protege
Teddy, you are awesome at making games, I would love to test anything you make! This is by far the best Game/Demo for the Rift so far. After I got past the guys on the landing I was just messing around then I realized what I needed to do 😮 It got about 10x better than it already was 😄 Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to this and please keep at it, you are definitely good at making UDK games. Do you know how to add a body and have arms and a hand attached to the gun? I think that would add greatly to the immersion! Thanks again and God Speed good sir!
Vector Reboot Studio

drash
Heroic Explorer
Very cool game -- definitely a good way to get a workout going haha. The whole calibration part is easy -- I threw on a shirt with a front pocket and threw my left Hydra controller in there.

I wasn't able to get too far after that because my right Hydra controller's thumbstick wasn't moving my character the way I expect it to. Pushing up on the thumbstick moved the character to the right instead of forward. As a result, I ended up just staying behind one crate until I died.

Also, I went through the readme first and saw that there was a place to set up my IPD, so I chased down the HydraCoverShooter\UDKGame\Config\EditorEngine.ini and changed the EyeDistance value to 0.0666 instead of 0.064 (I have an evil IPD), and the result was stereoscopy that I could barely tolerate. Going back to 0.064 was much better. So while I appreciate the option to change the IPD, I think that something is not working quite right?

Thanks you, and looking forward to updates! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Teddy0k
Explorer
Thanks for the great feedback guys!

"evilSheep" wrote:
Do you plan on adding a full body/arms?

"mknkt" wrote:
Do you know how to add a body and have arms and a hand attached to the gun?

I'd love to, but I don't think there is really enough position information to make them pose properly. Right now I only have the position of your chest and your hand. I can't even tell which hand the gun is in, so any body I put in is inevitably be in the wrong pose. I may come back to this in a later demo, but right now I just want to focus on the controls and building something fun, quickly.

"Thodder7" wrote:
I'll try and get a video of to help promote this in the next few days... Awesome job!
I'd love to see some videos of people ducking and shooting, please send it to me if you do!

"totallymichael" wrote:
It would be nice if there was a way to adjust the difficulty. It would be awesome to make the enemies' bullets fly a little slower.
This sounds like a great idea! I don't really have time to mess around with making a whole UI, so I'll just pop it in the config files and leave some instructions. Say if I allow you to configure the speed of the enemies bullets, and how much damage they do, would that make it easy enough?

grafix
Honored Guest
Teddy. Long time 🙂
Wasn't exactly expecting to see your head pop out from behind that headset 😛
But yeah - congrats man - this is a pretty cool demo. I'm ordering a Hydra & keen to help out in any capacity - soon as you're want any help - let me know & I'll see if I can't whip up some levels & weapons & whatever else you're after.
-- Fix