cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtuix Omni

LyleD
Protege
im considering getting the Virtuix Omni so I can walk and run around in VR.  Seems like no limits that would occur in room scale. Anyone else here planning to get one?
38 REPLIES 38

DLFReporter
Expert Protege

@CardinalStorm: That's the beauty of treadmills. VR is still cumbersome and tethered, but the Omni lets you move around without moving. Who needs a chaperone then? 😉

The way the Omni works, is that the sloped base works to simulate a natural walking surface, so that the feet can move the same as while walking outside. Other treadmills like the Cyberith are more like sliding over a flat surface, but on the other hand it requires no special shoes.

@Kernow: Iirc VO has no patent on the Concave platform, so you know... (hint hint nudge nudge)

Ordered 20min in. -Waiting for April

maxpare79
Trustee
I never liked the videos I saw from the Omni, the way you walk in it doesn't seem natural...
Maybe trying it would give me a different opinion, but this is my first impression.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

DLFReporter
Expert Protege

That's what we are all waiting to find out. 🙂

I might just find myself buying another treadmill down the line. 🙂

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
Is too early for that kind of equipment, you will need game builded to interact with it.
I know you can make them "work" for it but having something "working with" and "designed for" are 2 different things.
Still, really awesome and what it go down do 200 i'll for sure buy one u.u

shadowrydr
Protege
 I watch those Omni videos and think to myself, Self, you will die if you buy that. That is alot of running and moving around, thank goodness for driving, flight and space sims. 🙂 I love the fact that you youngsters have a opportunity to buy and a means to exercise with a platform such as this.  Being over the hill, as I am, sitting is something I  enjoy more of now. But if I was young I would have jumped right on this no second thoughts. Looks like a $ maker.
Win10 64bit Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-

edmg
Trustee
I'm justifying it to my girlfriend as a way to get fit :).

But, yeah, my main concern is whether the 'walking on the spot' will turn out to be problematic after long-term use. From watching the videos, it doesn't look much different to natural walking, except your feet slide back instead of staying in one spot.

As for games, yes, ideally we'll have to get game developers to support the Omni directly so they can use all the features. But it can operate as a game controller or keyboard, so as long as the game movement speed is reasonably realistic it should work OK.

I suspect the bigger problem will be that few games support independent head and body movement, so while movement speed can often be modded, a fundamental limitation of the game engine like that usually can't.

DLFReporter
Expert Protege

@Kalec84: As the Omni functions like a controller (moving forward = pressing W on the keyboard or if you have a game for analogue input, running faster = pushing the stick higher = faster in the game) you don't need to worry about games not supporting the Omni.

Luckily we live in a time and age, where Hardware Developers also have Software people in their companies and thus there are games which are planned to be launched especially designed for the Omni (see http://www.virtuix.com/gallery/)

God I come off sounding like a fanboy now... I am not, but I just wanted to clear the misconceptions.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer

God I come off sounding like a fanboy now...

No you didn't 🙂
Well, lets say that usually when someone start making games for somthing, that something has something worth the effort.
I'm already "watching" how it develop, but obviously it is not going to have a gret resonance, since is a fantastic periferal, but for a device that have just arrived on the market, i bet that there are really a lot of people thinking exactly at that type of peripheral (to move in VR) but didn't even know there are already some on the market 🙂

jyoun
Explorer
It says it works with all games, but isn't there at least some special config files for each to determine walking/strafing speed, ducking distance, and some other things unique to the Omni? Are there games that have been designed around Omni? I guess I'm just curious about the consistency between games, and if there is a list of which games work best...

HiThere_
Superstar

edmg said:

my goal with this generation of VR is to be able to run from one end of Skyrim to the other.

You could practice your running skills on a Wii Fit board : That's what I did (once).

It taught me I'd rather use a treadmill to live a long walking experience, then a short running one 🙂

That doesn't mean a treadmill is a bad idea for Skyrim : It means that for traveling you'll want to be riding a horse using a treadmill's seated position, rather then doing the running yourself.