cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtuix Omni

LyleD
Protege
im considering getting the Virtuix Omni so I can walk and run around in VR.  Seems like no limits that would occur in room scale. Anyone else here planning to get one?
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm interested in either the Virtuix Omni or the Cyberith Virtualizer. I'm going to wait and see how the technology matures and how well it is supported before I make a decision though.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I prototyping a virtual floor, one day we will can walk and run way more naturally when true active VR treadmill become affordable.
Hope the technology are actually developing by other VR believer

edmg
Trustee

Cyril said:

That doesn't mean a treadmill is a bad idea for Skyrim : It means that for traveling you'll want to be riding a horse using a treadmill's seated position, rather then doing the running yourself.

To be fair, I'm using a realistic movement mod that adjusts Skyrim to be closer to real walking. From what I remember, the game map is only about three miles on each side, which I can walk in an hour... So when I said 'running', I didn't necessarily mean running all the way :).

But, yeah, I do wonder how long a session I'll be able to sustain when it's simulated walking motion rather than real walking.

edmg
Trustee

jyoun said:

It says it works with all games, but isn't there at least some special config files for each to determine walking/strafing speed, ducking distance, and some other things unique to the Omni? Are there games that have been designed around Omni? I guess I'm just curious about the consistency between games, and if there is a list of which games work best...

I think the only Omni-specific games right now are from Virtuix themselves. Other games typically do need special configuration to feel right; as I mentioned above, one of the guys on the Omni forum has been testing a bunch of games like Skyrim, GTA5, Fallout 4, etc, and working out the best configuration for them.

jademan
Heroic Explorer
A couple promising points from the Pathfinder review regarding non-Omni specific games:
  • Undoubtedly, the question everyone asks is what non-omni games have I tried and enjoyed. The answers shouldn't really be surprising. GTAV works well with the omni in gamepad mode (where it emulates a gamepad's analog stick as you walk) as does skyrim and fallout 4. The so-called walking simulator games like Dear Esther and Gone Home are absolutely terrific with the omni - actually Dear Esther might be my favorite non-omni software I tried.
  • But in general, yeah, I need to be standing or walking in VR these days. Using a joystick to move around in VR either makes people sick or just outright doesn't feel correct. The biggest compliment I can give the Virtuix Omni is that it makes my purchase of VorpX feel like a no brainer. So many games I would have never considered playing VR with VorpX I find myself enjoying now. If you're getting into VR to play non-VR games in VR, then yeah, an Omni is something I'd say is a necessity.

nightauditor198
Adventurer
I still don´t really know what to think about treadmills in general. My biggest fear at this point in time would be software compatibility. I don´t know of any game that officially supports something like this (or plans to).

I don´t want to rely on 3rd party hacks to get the games going. I don´t know.

The next thing that is a MASSIVE no go for me is vehicles. What do you do, when you walk up to a car in gta and enter? Do you then take off the HMD, climb out of the treadmill and move to a seat? I just don´t see it.

After trying to play technolust standing up, I have to agree with some people here though. We need a solution for movement in VR. Simply moving with a controller won´t be enough.

I don´t know what the solution will look like, but I don´t see myself buying a treadmill now for a lot of money, esecialy if they might be obsolete soon when the "real" solution is presented.

edmg
Trustee

The next thing that is a MASSIVE no go for me is vehicles. What do you do, when you walk up to a car in gta and enter? Do you then take off the HMD, climb out of the treadmill and move to a seat? I just don´t see it.

You can sit in the Omni, and I believe you can in the other treadmills in development. But the steering wheel might present a bit of a problem :).

I don't think I've seen a GTA driving video with the Omni, but there's certainly a Virtualizer video somewhere on Youtube. I think they had a gun controller that they also used to drive.

Biggest in-game limitation of the Omni is that you can't crouch. But crouching on a slippery surface with a headset on may not be the brightest idea, anyway. At least, if you like your knees and ankles.

Also, the treadmills that do allow crouching are probably going to cost at least twice as much due to the extra mechanical complexity.

nosys70
Expert Protege

i got an omni on order, but it seems it will take forever to get delivered.

i really consider cancelling it in favour of KAT VR who seems to bring more.

and could possibly deliver at the same time.

edmg
Trustee
I don't think the KAT VR will even fit in my bedroom; it looks much too tall in the demo videos. Also, I'm sure it will cost far more than an Omni, which is mostly some fixed pieces of metal and plastic with a few sensors.

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer
I want the Omni so bad, but I can't get it until the price comes down. My dreams are expensive, yo.