cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Home (SDK 1.3) and DK1

zoost
Explorer
I would like to receive some help and/or pointers from fellow DK1 owners as to how to get a DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home (SDK 1.3). I came as far as the Oculus Home application recognizing my DK1 as a HMD and recognizing my PS3 controller as a valid controller, but it is not allowing me to play because it want to detect a tracking sensor as well. Installing the apps also all wend fine.

Does anybody have got the DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home?
Is there a way to tell the Oculus Home to ignore the fact that there is no tracking device?

Please do not clutter this thread with remarks about buying the CV1 and/or DK2. I understand that that will be the better solution.
69 REPLIES 69

kuroneko
Honored Guest
The value of a DK1 as a development is greatly reduced if you can't get it to display any video output.  

I'm somewhat displeased with Oculus between abandoning a reasonable pricepoint (and whilst the price may seem reasonable in the US, it's obscene here in AU), and now the blatant lie about being able to continue using the DK1 as a dev-kit.

zoost
Explorer
Bummer, it seems like they actively shut us DK1 owners out. I understand that you cannot support backwards compatibility with the DK1 forever, but it would be nice if they allowed us to tinker with the software to let us use the Oculus Home software with our old DK's while the CV1 are not readily available.  

zoost
Explorer
I found a quote here from someone from oculus stating "DK1 should function as a test setup"

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/28954/dk1-compatibility

I remind the forum moderator to state the same in the recent past

Mehektet
Honored Guest
I cannot get my DK1 to work at all with windows 10.  It says my HMI is not connected when it is.  I tried all previous versions of the SDKs and none of them work.  Dows anyone have a way to still use the DK1 with windows 10?  If so please let me know.

Mehektet
Honored Guest
Where can I still download the configuration utility?  Each time I download the sdk it is not there.

PathlessNomad
Explorer
The configuration utility is installed as part of the runtime. You can get that at: https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ 
Choose PC as platform and 8.0.0-beta as the runtime. It works fine for me with Windows 10 and a DK1. The config utility can be access in your system tray.

Mindweaver
Explorer
Has anyone tried the new 1.3.1 update? I'm currently at work and will have to wait till tonight to test.. I hope it's fixed.

celt2000
Honored Guest
Does anyone here play Project CARS? Only, I decided to roll my SDK driver back to 0.8 which was on my hard drive, and it would seem as if the latest patch from SMS for PCARS (which I think is 10.1) totally breaks DK1 support. How is it that these patches and updates for games so that they can run the CV1 seem to be at the expense of functionality for all legacy devices? Gonna sign into the SMS forums because I was an early backer in the development process, and see what they say about it. I'm not proposing that DK1/2 owners get to be top of the pile, obviously we come behind the people who've paid top dollar for the latest hardware. I'm just a little disillusioned with VR and the development process, it's like, I know the devs haven't gone out of their way to prohibit our devices being used for applications like pCARS, but the end result is the same; my DK1 gathering dust, and me losing faith in VR. Just seems like it's going to be yet another facet of entertainment governed by red tape, fresh revenue, buy-outs and empty promises.

Melhadf
Protege
Managed to find a way around this mess... it involves forgetting about oculus from now on as 1.3 has abandoned us.

1. Install 0.8,
2. install steamVR,
3(a). Look for Vive games that are seated/standing.  
3(b). Ignore oculus only games, 1.3 means they are dead to us
4. Select SteamVR mode at startup.
5. Enjoy

That means Luckys Tale and the other rift exclusives are beyond us, however we also can't access oculus home, which at time of writing seems to be a blessing for anyone that plays games via steam as there seems to be some hooking issues.

I'd like to thank oculus for abandoning us.  As we have sidestepped the oculus home issues and aren't subject to the bizarre hooks they want into ALL VR games ran on CV1 and DK2's.

Mindweaver
Explorer
Just using SteamVR works with .8 thanks @Melhadf ! I bought and played Adventure Time last night for my kids, but honestly it's such a well made game for 5 bucks I really like it myself. I'm just so fed up with Oculus that I canceled my CV1 order last night. I'll be getting a Vive when I have the funds ready. I'll be buying more games tonight in Steam. I actually loaded up "The Lab" with my dk1 and the new Valve screen looks awesome. I can't do anything once I'm in but look around and even then, it was still worth downloading to only do that...